Pier 51 - Build suggestions???
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 04:11 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Here are a copule of pictures of Donaghadee Harbour. I plan to use an angled straight section running out into the dio and an L shape/dog leg at the top.

Looking for some ideas and suggestions on build materials for the stone harbour. The top of the dio will have rail tracks and cobbles, but could do with few suggestions for the stone/concrete work. I have been thinking of balsa as it's reasonably easy to shape and control.

Tyde will be low with the boats below the pier level.

Any thoughts???

Nice little harbour don't you think?

Proposed angle of pier

Edit PICTURE REMOVED FOR GALLERY SPACE

Type of stone work I'm hoping to use

Edit: PICTURE REMOVED FOR GALLERY SPACE

The lighthouse isn't included :-) :-) :-) but it will give you a basic idea of the layout I'm hoping to achieve, although obviously the length will be shorter.

Cheers

Al
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC
Would be a nice touch to have a lighthouse as well I think, but of course it would be quite a large structure in 1/35!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 11:26 PM UTC
Hi Graham,

i have a feeling it's going to be quite a large structure even without the lighthouse LOL, LOL.

Cheers

Al
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 01:16 AM UTC
Alan,
After getting the basic structure, you could try different thicknesses of plasticard for the blockwork and simply glue them to your plaster/balsawood or whatever frame.
Before you cut the plasticard to size run ovet the sheets with a paintroller loaded with masonary paint for some texture.
Also, instead of bollards a lot of smaller harbours had...sort of staples (upside down 'U' shape driven into the cobblestones with metal rings through them (like 2 links on a chain with one link half in the quay) for mooring ropes, and a simple chain and metal pipe rail about 3' back from the edge (See 'Dog Boats At War' by L. C. Reynolds page 99 for what I'm talking about, although this is a paved quayside not cobbles).
good luck
Tom
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 01:23 AM UTC
Hey Alan,

Give balsa foam a look. I've used it. It shapes really well and is easy to work with.
Balsa Foam

Kenny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi Tom and Gator,

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a similar post running on the armour site to canvas a broader range of opinons and at the moment cork seems to be a good option for the block work and cobbles.

The actual structure I have in mind is not quite so fancy as Donaghadee Harbour and has to the best of my memory a combination of block and concrete sides, but has similar layout. Sort of grade 2 pier for unloading coal and general goods

Tom understand perfectly what you mean about the mooring rings have that in mind already - also staples for the iron ladders on each end. I plan on a combination of both iron mooring rings and probably two mooring bollards. Wooden buffers (if that the right word) will also be used, spaced at intervals down the side of the pier.

Re the end of the pier I've yet to decide if it will be a square or rounded end. There will be a fishermans hut and probably a small crane towards the top (sea) end.

Re the railings, I'm not sure if they were removed during the war. A lot were taken from the front of houses for use in the war effort, but I'll need to check on piers.

I've asked a mate back home to take a few pictures for me of the pier in Bangor, just to refresh my memory, so mine will be a combination of the two, but very much a goods/working pier.

Gator, not sure about the Balsa Foam, as I've never seen it, but thanks for the idea, I'll give it some thought.

Thanks for all the input folks, lots to think about.

Cheers

Al

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:22 AM UTC
check out the model railroading section in your LHS. The stone stuff should be quite easy to get and they have all that model atering goop from Model scenics. I guesseveryone is assuming you are doing 35th scale. I think you are planning 72nd to go wit one of the PT boats, or even 700 to go with ships
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Nope, 1/35 mate.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Here's a couple of sketches of my original idea. You can see I'm no artist. :-) :-) :-)

Like all plans I've had to alter it some what, mainly due to the restrictions on depth of the dio. However, I hope to include quite a few of the original ideas, width restrictions will mean only 2 boats and not 3 but then I have my Wee boat' for a bit of variety as well, and if and when I secure the LCP (L) well there should be enough I hope to keep your interest.

Current size of the base is 24in x 29in.

Cheers

Al
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:42 PM UTC
Alan,
I'm Looking at your sketches and thinking you'd be better to swivel the whole thing around by 90 degrees (giving you more quay to work with and less sandy beach) and also why not chop along the 'top' edge (where you've placed the barrier) having the walkway emerge along the dio with the goods wagon very close to the edge. This would also cut down on your blockwork on the outside of the quay.

happy modelling
Tom
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi Tom,

Thanks for that suggestion. The sketch was my original idea and I've altered the layout to take account of the size of the LCMs which meant loosing most of the back wall of the pier and bringing it in at a dfferent angle. I want to keep the small beach area as it will low water with the boats sitting below the pier and I also want to keep the road way. It means loosing the top end of the pier but I've been able to keep the suggestion of the dog leg and the rounded pier end.

The boats will probably be moored side by side with 'The Wee Boat' taking up the unsued space. If I get the LCP (L), then I'll have the option of using two different boats. Both boats and Pier sit diagonally across the board

There is a slipway at the side of the pier and a sea wall with a road on top so it will be possiblt to have some figures watching proceedings and perhaps a parked vehicle. The good wagons may get cut from 2 to 1but the track, crane and fishermans hut should still be OK.

As always with any plan it will change and develop as progress is made.

I want an Allied theme so there will be USN, RN, Army and Cviilian figures, workmen/dockers etc.

Sorry it's not that easy to explain but I hope it will be interesting

Cheers

Al
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC
Make sure you have the kits dimensions built....the hulls. Build the diorama around these rather than try to fit them into a diorama. This will have to be one huge diorama. Check out plastistruct for its sheets of blocks and cobblestones, you might be able to use some of that for quay tops or sidings. Glue them onto stryrofoam base. That will keep your blocks looking all uniform...like the real thing
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 05:00 AM UTC
Geez Alan,

I don't think the op plans for Operation Neptune were that busy. :-) :-)

Seriously, it looks great. I can't wait to see it come together.

Kenny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hi Steve, Gator,

Thanks for the input guys. I'm currently looking at a variety if materials that have been suggested for the build.

Looking good at the moment is cork for the stone work, although I need to find a local source - possibly B & Q. Also looking good is Foam Board that looks quite strong but very light weight and should be easy to cut and shape. It could then be braced from the inside for extra strength.

I've traced out the out line of the hulls, pier, walls etc to make sure things will fit LOL, LOL and given the nature of the build quite a few of the kits will need to be complete before I do any ground work.

I'm currently working on a more detailed design for the pier, but all the basics are mapped in and would appear to fit :-) :-) :-) :-)

Some things have had to be left out but size is always an issue.

I'll keep you posted as things develop.

Thanks to all.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Here's a picture that will, I hope, give you a better idea of the current layout. You'll have to use a bit of imagination here LOL, LOL.

Imagine: The M3 is a goods wagon, the measuring tape is a crane, the pile of dics are the fishermans hut, that's all on the pier which will be about 7" in height x 8" in width. The only bit of the raise walkway and rear sea wall will be behind the fishermans hut.,

The boats, well they are boats.

The Toilet roll is the beach area and the Crawfords Biscuits at the back well that's the sea wall with a road on top again 7" high and wide enough to contain some vehicles or trucks. The sea wall now runs parellel to the top of the board and the beach area curves around from the pier.

Between the pier and the sea wall at the top is a concrete slipway leading onto the beach.

It will be low water with the sand and rocky edge of the beach exposed.

If nothing else this should give you a good laugh

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Edit - Picture Removed For Gallery Space

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:06 PM UTC
Very interesting facsimile, Alan!
That dio is going to be very impressive when finished, mate!
Thanks for the preview!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi Alan

Good layout and good imagination
My only suggestion at this moment is simple:
- Don't place the stairs near the crane - since it needs area to maneuver and the stairs are usually between bollards...

Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Thanks for that. There will be metal ladders at each end of the pier so they will be out of the way. Rather than have one straight run I plan to recess the area betwee the 2nd and 3rd wooden buffers (they don't show on my amazing picture LOL, LOL). If it is possibe I'll add stone step in there, so they will also be out of harms way so to speak.

Thanks for the feedback, I was going to add bollards top and bottom of the pier as I figured they would be for larger vessals and have iron mooring rings spaced between them. Does that sound about right?

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 08:31 PM UTC
Alan, i like your layout, quite dynamic and then those british small harbours are so romantic, don't forget the seagulls
JB
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi JB,

Yip, seagulls and dead fish :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Love you PT boat BTW, really class.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 12:29 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Here's a picture of a goods wagon I'm thinking of using on the pier.

It's 0 scale 7mm and I've put a couple of figures beside it. Do you think the scale is OK? Think small working pier and narrow gauge???

Cheers

Al
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 06:52 PM UTC
Hi Alan, nice layout so far, found some more inspiration stuff, ya gotta love the South Hampton docks, note the trolly/tram circle around the pier.
The goods car is a nice touch, and will work well with your build. Sorry for reposting the freighter [ French port, pic. ] but it has the goods wagons and other lay-about typical pier stuff.
You're doing a fine job buddy, go for it.
Cheyenne

Of course if you get real ambitious you could try modeling the ramparts of Valetta on Malta. l.o.l. now that would be something !!!!!!

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Cheyenne,

Thanks for the reference pictures - copied thanks. They will be very useful.

I like the idea of the tram lines. Might be a possibility on the top road. I have considered some chaps working on a UXB, got a good reference picture but it might change the concept although not if it had been disarmed and they had just come back to remove it??? I like that idea though - something different.

Need to check up on what restrictions would have been in place once the fuse was taken out, otherwise it would interfer with the other figures and activity I have planned.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Al
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:40 PM UTC
Howdy again Alan

Been paying attention and reading along with your pre-build R&D threads there pard', and I must say I've been having a bloody good time riding along with your progress so far. I guess if I can't build my quay, I can enjoy yours vicariously

Anyway, aside from agreeing with the general form of the dio layout the suggestions so far have been superb. Our fine group of supporters here at Armorama have come up with it's usual GREAT set of ideas and critique to fuel your creativity, just like they used to waaaaaaaaaay back in the 'beginning'.
Regarding the overall construction of the quay itself, and the "block work"...may I add my suggestion to the pile? I looked at many different types of material to build my "block work" as well, including the fantastic product Balsa Foam, the inexpensive, but somewhat brittle POP, and several others, including some pre-made sheets of 'block' available at my local train hobby store Caboose Hobbies.
Instead, I tried something that was readily avialable to me, extremely inexpensive, and easy to work with....gypsum board, or more commonly known as 'Drywall'.
Now, before you start getting yourself dizzy shaking your head at me, try this; Go down to your local Home Depot or home improvement store and go to the drywall/gypsum section. Here you can either purchase a small section of the stuff or simply pick up a piece that has broken off of other sheets and take it home. Then, take a moistened sponge and wet one side {usually the gray side} of the board until you can scrub off the paper covering...allow to then dry thoroughly.
Next, take your 1/35th scale ruler {or just a ruler} and mark off your gridded pattern of stone block mortar lines to the size you desire. You then lightly begin to etch or crave your mortar lines directly into the drywall/gypsum board 'wall'. Once your main lines are etched in, you can then begin to add any 'character' or beveling, uneveness desired.
Once you've got this all done to pretty close to what you want, you then take a moistened wash clothe and gently wipe at the surface of what you've done to 'take down' some of the edges in a more "natural" way.............

Believe me Alan, this works. Not only do you get both a material and a cooperative surface to mold to your hearts desire, but the final result will have that 'real' feel to it that is so few and far between at modeling shows.
Oh, and also. You can use the scrap pieces of the drywall you are not using for the wall and make your own supply of dandy "debris"...debris that can be sized, shaped and even coloured.

hth.

Tread.

PostScript: BTW, I feel compelled to agree with making your best effort to include the lighthouse...I think two things about that, one; it wouldn't be that hard to scratch at all....and two; it would indeed be something that set your already marvelous dio apart from any other ;-).....and if you build the lighthouse {hint, hint}...you have got to stop by your RR hobby shop and pick up a {O gauge?} rotating lite kit and install it in your lighthouse!!
The Tramline is another superb idea, and one I embrace, except, it generates a query.....weren't Tramlines devoted more to passenger transport? Or were goods also tresled around in this way during that time?
Also, again my Farthing's worth....loose the UXB.......

....but then, don't listen to me, my wife never did....at least in the 'later' years ;-)

PostScript #2: Nice pics as well cheyenne.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for all your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

Unfortunately lack of space means I won't be able to include the Light House although I agree it would be something else. It would mean extending and dio by at least another 8 to 10 inches. If I have more space when I get moved then it might be possible. I don't expect to start on the base much before Christmas. Most of the materials I'll be using I haven't used before, so some experimentation will be needed before I begin in earnest, but the boats, figures etc can all get worked on. If space ian't a problem by the time I get started then I would like to include the end of the pier and something would have to go on it???? LOL, LOL.

Thanks for your idea about gypsum board I'll try and get some for B & Q to try out.

The UXB is just an extension of my imagination into the town LOL, LOL, but I do think it will make an interesting small dio somethime in the future.

Here's an up-dated picture of the small goods wagon, looking I hope a bit more presentable. In life and not 'flash' it is actually a lot darker.

Thanks for all the feedback folks:

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP