Pier 51 - Scale Question
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 05:52 PM UTC
Greetings all,

I've been thinking about the scale of the pier. Does a high of 20ft and a width of 24ft sound reasonable for the measurements of a small pier?

I realise the height is determined by the tyde, but this would give me a build area in 1/35 of Height 6.86in x Width 8.22in.

Any thoughs???

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hello, mate!
Using your reference pics as a judgement basis, I would say that those sizes could be do-able...
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi Gunny,

Thanks for that, I don't really want to go much higher. I've marked out the width and it looks about right.

Now the $64000 question. what size should I make the blocks???

I'm going to use Cork which seems to be the answer, just need to think about the size of block. LOL, LOL.

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gunny,

Thanks for that, I don't really want to go much higher. I've marked out the width and it looks about right.

Now the $64000 question. what size should I make the blocks???

I'm going to use Cork which seems to be the answer, just need to think about the size of block. LOL, LOL.

Cheers

Al

Hey Alan...
How good are you at scale drawing, mate? If I were you, I would draw the entire pier, maybe in an isometric style, at scale, using those reference pics, at the size that you are going to build the pier... Then eyeball the block size, unless you can get a physical measurement, then we could get a very close scale reduction...
~Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:48 PM UTC
[/quote]

Hey Alan...
How good are you at scale drawing, mate? If I were you, I would draw the entire pier, maybe in an isometric style, at scale, using those reference pics, at the size that you are going to build the pier... Then eyeball the block size, unless you can get a physical measurement, then we could get a very close scale reduction...
~Gunny
[/quote]

Hi Gunny,

The answer to that is hopeless. However, you've given me an idea. I've asked a friend to take some photos of the old pier in Bangor which is where my original idea came from, so while he's doing that he could measure a few blocks and I could use my newly found Scale Converter Site (Thanks Pat) to get a better idea.

Good thinking.

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Alan...
~Gunny

Quoted Text

Hi Gunny,

The answer to that is hopeless. However, you've given me an idea. I've asked a friend to take some photos of the old pier in Bangor which is where my original idea came from, so while he's doing that he could measure a few blocks and I could use my newly found Scale Converter Site (Thanks Pat) to get a better idea.

Good thinking.

Cheers

Al

Now you're talking, mate!
This way, you can be sure that the scale will be as close to true as can be...
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 03:16 AM UTC
if any of the photographs show people, you could take a figure and make a comparison that way as well.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Hopefully he will take a meauring tape but that's also a possibility if he forgets.

I should know more in a week or so.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP