_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Trumpeter Models 1/350 Scale Hood?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 02:53 PM UTC
Quick question this morning, mates...there was quite a bit of hoo-ha before this model subject was released, but since haven't heard of anyone here at MSW building her yet. Anyone out there working on this version? And if you are, are you thinking of sharing a review or a build feature with us at Model Shipwrights?
~Gunny
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 05:49 AM UTC
No, in fact I cancelled my pre-order simply because I have too much waiting as it is ...

Here's a review of the just released Gold Medal Models aftermarket for it ...

John
Adolph
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:28 PM UTC
I have built one OOB and some pics of it are here. Appears to be the first build on the net!

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/hms/hood-350-eb/eb-index.html

if I have done the link right

It appears that everyone else is gearing up with WEM or GMM etch sets and researching everthing before starting

Hmmmmm, I had a look on the Hood Assn website and the battlecruiser HMS Hood's paint colour was RN Medium grey in 1941.(AP507B)
There are plenty of various images, paintings, graphics and a sample colour patch for an indication of the correct shade, but then this also is affected by how accurately your computer monitor is colour managed as well as the Hood Assn's website. (It's a can of worms, my boy!)

I painted as much as I could on the sprues before beginning assembly. I used Humbrol Precision Poly to glue it all together.
So, 50% Tamiya Dark Sea Grey enamel and 50% Tamiya Light Sea Grey mixed well and applied carefully by brush was my version of RN Medium Grey (AP507B).

Tamiya Buff for the the teak decks, then a touch over with a little smidgeon of red added to the buff to simulate weathering of the decks. Another my own brew for the corticene in the bridge, superstructure (probably a little too red and new looking) and a little artistic licence with the rafts and boats to add a liitle contrast from the hull grey that they were actually painted and Bob's your uncle! Job done!

If one is aware of how light affects colours, the grey would be different shades at different times of the day and in varying weather conditions, include salt spray to lighten it up plus sun bleaching, and what is the correct shade of RN medium grey my son?

Nice kit to build, nearly everything fits well. The deck at the tip of the stern needs a very fine trim to fit correctly ,as did the centre deck section on my kit at the starboard rear.

Take care to clean up the mould release marks on the back of parts to ensure a good fit without gaps
Not much trimming of flash was required and very little problem with the fine seams on some parts

The turrents are not quite correct but look O.K. They can be filed to remove the sharp angles at the front but not much can be done about the incorrect plating on the turrent tops.
I used then as they came.
If you are a rivet counter, Foeth has made a 1/350 master of the correct style and these will soon be available as resin cast turrents from White Ensign Models

All in all It builds up into a very nice, highly detailed model straight from the box, that is of a higher standard than the twenty year old Tamiya 1/350 battleships, with quite a few fiddly little bit to keep you amused for a while.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:48 PM UTC
That is just OOB and looks great. The Hood is number 1 on my list, but I need a paycheck before I'll connect with it. Right ow food and shelter have to take a priority. Of course, I've got so much on my plate that I erally have no use for it for at least a year. This upcoming Yamato project is going to be time consuming.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 05:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have built one OOB and some pics of it are here. Appears to be the first build on the net!

Hi Erin!
Hmmm...we could sure use a feature here at MSW about your Hood, mate!

Very nice job, I will say, and a full build review would be a great addition to our review section...

Whaddaya think?
~Gunny
swingbowler
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 162 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 08:05 PM UTC
I've only been to the LHS and stood there drooling at the big cool box of the Hood sitting on the shelves...would love to see a review from anyone with the good fortune and money to buy that.
 _GOTOTOP