_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
Looking for the USS Long Beach
Brandon
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 05:43 PM UTC
Hello

In the nineteen sixtees ( long time ago) I have build the USS Long Beach the nuclair cruiser of Revell. This kit is no longer available and I have done a lot but till now no luck. Does somebody know if this kit is somewere for sale?? I like to build this one again.

Also in that time there were many lovely ships like the Coral Sea, Saratoga, Forrestal etc etc Does somebody knows were I can try to find those kits??

Thank for help

regards Wim
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 05:47 PM UTC
Hey Wim!
Tale a good look at this site, and if you don't find it, send them an e-mail and Al will try to find it for you!

Old Model Kits

~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 04:11 AM UTC
There is one presently up for bid on ebay. Ends 14 September around 10 PM Pacific time. Currently has one bidder showing a $25 bid. This is a RARE KIT. I think if you want it, your best bet is to pop your bid within the lst minute. I Would go at least $40 to have a chance at outbidding anyone that has the same idea. Of course it may go for a lot more than that.
writerjohn
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:19 AM UTC
I happened to find a Revell Long Beach model at an antique dealer in Va. Beach, Va. It caught my eye because I served aboard her in '67-'68. The box was slightly damaged and, it turned out, the fuselage of the regulus missile and one of the boat davits was missing.

Since I wanted it for nostalgia, rather than value, I painted and assembled the model, whittling a regulus from the plastic tree. Although it's not to scale (a bit large) it looks darn good.

My only gripe is that the model is designed from the original ship designs, which were changed by JFK and the navy brass to get rid of the regulus and install 5"/38 gun mounts amidships. Since I was lead P.O. in charge of gun fire control, I'd rather have those guns on the model, but it wasn't to be.

If I can get hold of another one, I'll try to refurbish the model with parts from other kits.

My wife is not fond of the model, so it now sits on top of the toilet tank in my bathroom, which also has photos of ships I served aboard. My friends refer to it as the "heavy cruiser" bathroom. If I wasn't skinny, that would piss me off, I guess.

Hope we both have luck finding our kits. Oh, there is a model builder that will build a custom long beach model for you, but it looks expensive. http://www.motionmodels.com.

Take care,

JohnB

http://www.johnbushore.com
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello

In the nineteen sixtees ( long time ago) I have build the USS Long Beach the nuclair cruiser of Revell. This kit is no longer available and I have done a lot but till now no luck. Does somebody know if this kit is somewere for sale?? I like to build this one again.

Also in that time there were many lovely ships like the Coral Sea, Saratoga, Forrestal etc etc Does somebody knows were I can try to find those kits??

Thank for help

regards Wim

Hello Wim, RoG is re-releasing the Revell USS Long Beach. Al
 _GOTOTOP