_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
USS Preble
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 01:31 AM UTC
Skipper,
I noticed you posted some photo's of the USS Preble (DDG 46) in the gallery. I had read last year some time that some company was putting out a high end model of the Coontz class Destroyer's. I believe it was going to be a resin kit. If so, are you, or is anyone else, aware of the company putting out this model?

My best friend was assigned to the Preble, and if I'm not mistaken, it was at the time the photo's you posted were taken. I'd love to build it for him someday and surprise him with it.
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 02:19 AM UTC
Darryl,
There is a model of the Preble available it has a wooden hull and white meteal parts with some resin. My brother served on the Preble in the late 80's and he has the model, I will get in touch with him and find out who manufactures it...It seems to me he bought it in 1989, so it might still be available.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hey Darryl!

I don't know of a TRUE USS Preble (DDG 46) kit available, but I do know of an Arliegh Burke class Destroyer kit that you can build a version of the
USS Preble (DDG-88), from Bad Ship Model Kits...little pricey too, mate, but ya get what ya pay for. . . HERE'S the link. About a third of the distance down the page.

There's also a fantastic scratchbuild right HERE that you may want to take a look at, or maybe contact the modeler. . .

Happy Hunting, mate!
~Gunny
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Darryl,
There is a model of the Preble available it has a wooden hull and white meteal parts with some resin. My brother served on the Preble in the late 80's and he has the model, I will get in touch with him and find out who manufactures it...It seems to me he bought it in 1989, so it might still be available.

Thanks Lenny! I bet your brother may know my friend. His name is George Johnston, Jr. I believe he worked as an electricians mate, but I'm not absolutely positive about that.

Thanks Gunny! I'll be sure to take a look!:)
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi Darryl

Yes I have posted some photos from USS Preble which I took on a NATO exercise back in 1989.
I offered these photos to Tom Gardner, the owner of JAG for reference...
JAG is going to release it in 1/700 scale waterline, resin with PE set and the brand full name is JAG Collective

Hope this helps

Skipper
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Darryl

Yes I have posted some photos from USS Preble which I took on a NATO exercise back in 1989.
I offered these photos to Tom Gardner, the owner of JAG for reference...
JAG is going to release it in 1/700 scale waterline, resin with PE set and the brand full name is JAG Collective

Hope this helps

Skipper

Thanks Rui! I'm not real familiar with JAG. Do you have any idea when they plan to release it, and do they have a web site I can refer to?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi Darryl

You can check my built review of USS Forrest Sherman by JAG here

And you can check their website JAG Collective

Also I can say that Tom is a most friendly person and probably he will be abble to answer any particular questions that you place

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hi Rui!
That was a great review, mate, I just enjoyed re-reading it. I love the water, my friend, and I would really like to see that water feature!
Really great job overall. and a really good looking model kit.
~Cheers!
Gunny
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thanks again Rui (Skipper). I'm going to read through your review when I have time to digest it. I checked the site and will have to check back periodically to see when the Preble is released. Hope it's soon!
TomatJAG
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:18 PM UTC
I was just informed by someone who reads this forum that we introducing a Coontz class destroyer. Let me update you all on JAG's plans. We are NOT doing the Coontz class destroyer. We have made an arrangement with Niko Models and they will be doing a Coontz class destroyer. We on the other hand will be producing a Belknap class cruiser and a Leahy class cruiser (to replace that dated Waveline offering). We will also be producing an as decommissioned Long Beach. This will also offer us the ability to go back and "freshen up" our original Long Beach kit that was released in 1999. We have NO RELEASE DATE SET at this time other than to tell you it will be in 2008.

Both Belknaps and Leahys will be in their late fits.

Happy ship modeling
 _GOTOTOP