_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Painting windows
Brandon
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:41 PM UTC
Hello

I am working at the momen on the USS Cushing od Dragon scale 1:350. I would like to paint the windows of the navigation bridge However I have never done this before and I tried it already but it was a big war so I stopped and repaint the whole bridge grey again.

Has somebody experience and have information for me please before I destroy my model with mis painting please?

Thanks for help

Regards

Wim
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hi Wim!
First off, mate, what color are you trying to paint your windows?
In the past I've used, black, deep blue, and various shades of gray to clearly represent a window, depending onthe setting of my final subject.

1:350 scale is a good size, and the only advice that I can give you is to use a fine liner brush (I use a 10/0) and take your time when painting!
Run around the inside of your window frames with paint first, then fill in the balance. . .
Good Luck!
~Gunny
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:04 PM UTC
One of the tricks I was told here some time back, was to paint the windows with Future or whatever it's called in Europe...Bright? Anyway, paint your windows with that first and then, after it dries, go in and paint the windows. It (the Future)prevents the paint from spreading outside of the window frames.

Prost!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
What size are the windows and how much patience do you have? In 1/350 scale the individual windows may be large enough to open up with a small drill bit followed up by either an exacto #11 or a file. If you haven't already assembled the bridge pieces you can then install a clear piece of plastic behind the openings.

That may be more work than you want to do, especially if by opening up the windows, you can now have a good view inside forcing you to put some sort of structure behind the windows as well.

I have a habit of doing WAY more detailing than necessary, but I prefer the way they look opened up.

Tom

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hey Wim, when it comes to windows, I cheat. I use a .02 or smaller felt tip technical pen. They're used for drafting and such. You can get them in a few different colors, but I mostly keep black around. They're also good for doing the pupil on 120mm figures. I like them because I can contol it better than a brush and the point stays crisp.

My 2 cents.

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP