_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
battleships at Letye
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
Am I the only one doing a battleship for Leyte Gulf. Weird. I t was more of a battleship fight than an aircraft carrier. After all, Halsey took them all up north chasing after what as left of the Japanese carier fleet. All the good fighting was at Suriago Straight and Samar Island.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 04:29 AM UTC
Well Steve,

You know, it is a long campaign. I may squeeze a battlewagon in. Who knows. Gunny hasn't chosen a subject as far as I know. Maybe he will do a battlewagon. Huh, Gunny?

Gator
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 04:58 AM UTC
I’ll probably be doing a Japanese carrier but there’s a chance I’ll build the Yamato but that probably wont happen.

Of course if I was building an American ship for the campaign I would do one of the battleships.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Steve,

You know, it is a long campaign. I may squeeze a battlewagon in. Who knows. Gunny hasn't chosen a subject as far as I know. Maybe he will do a battlewagon. Huh, Gunny?

Gator

Well guys, I'll be totally honest with you, I STILL haven't made up my mind!
There's just so many choices with this campaign, and since we just did Flattops, I kinda want to do a different vessel. . .so, I am leaning hard toward the battlewagon arena on this one. . .choices, choices. . .
~Gunny
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 05:22 AM UTC
With Baseball season over, I've finally gotten myself some time to do modeling again. The "Leyte Gulf" Campaign is running long enough so maybe I can actually get one of the "Dreadnaughts Campaign" Battleships done that I have left over from the 'donations stash' finished this time. I'm hoping to do the IJN Nagato. If anyone is interested, I still have a couple 1/700th 'Waterline' Battleship kits that I'm willing to donate that IIRC will fit in the "Leyte Gulf" Campaign. I have the following;
Aoshima Yamashiro
Aoshima Fuso
Fujimi Haruna
Fujimi Kongo
Fujimi Musashi
Just let me know in a PM, it will help me trim my 'stash'.

Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

After all, Halsey took them all up north chasing after what as left of the Japanese carier fleet.

Interesting that you should mention that, Steve. I read an interesting article on Miles Browning, skipper of the Enterprise at Midway. In the words of Bull Halsey, he was Halsey's Air Tactical Officer guru. Halsey gives all the credit of his famous hit and run raids prior to Midway to Browning's tactics. These were the raid that gave Halsey his nickname, "Haul A** Halsey". But the beginning of he end of Browing's career began with locking horns with Spruance at Midway. To say their personalities clashed was an understatement. To quote the article I read,

Quoted Text

He was by no means a deft social mixer; by most reports he was disdained the friendship of many of the very flag officers with whom he served. He was willful, arrogant, a hard drinker, and violently tempered. Despite his unpopularity, however, he was a brilliant tactical officer.

Spruance even asked Nimitz to releave Browning. Halsey begged to keep him. It was Browning's tactical genius that lead to Halsey's success in the Solomons. Yet, once again, Browning said the wrong thing to the wrong person, this time Frank Knox. Knox asked King to replace him, but King saw his brilliance too. It wasn't until 1944 that Browning was finally transfered state side to a desk. The artcle concludes with this thought. Had Browning been on Halsey's staff at Leyte, Browning would have probably persuaded Halsey from pursuing the Japanese carriers used as bait.

Gator
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

After all, Halsey took them all up north chasing after what as left of the Japanese carier fleet.

Interesting that you should mention that, Steve. I read an interesting article on Miles Browning, skipper of the Enterprise at Midway. In the words of Bull Halsey, he was Halsey's Air Tactical Officer guru. Halsey gives all the credit of his famous hit and run raids prior to Midway to Browning's tactics. These were the raid that gave Halsey his nickname, "Haul A** Halsey". But the beginning of he end of Browing's career began with locking horns with Spruance at Midway. To say their personalities clashed was an understatement. To quote the article I read,

Quoted Text

He was by no means a deft social mixer; by most reports he was disdained the friendship of many of the very flag officers with whom he served. He was willful, arrogant, a hard drinker, and violently tempered. Despite his unpopularity, however, he was a brilliant tactical officer.

Spruance even asked Nimitz to releave Browning. Halsey begged to keep him. It was Browning's tactical genius that lead to Halsey's success in the Solomons. Yet, once again, Browning said the wrong thing to the wrong person, this time Frank Knox. Knox asked King to replace him, but King saw his brilliance too. It wasn't until 1944 that Browning was finally transfered state side to a desk. The artcle concludes with this thought. Had Browning been on Halsey's staff at Leyte, Browning would have probably persuaded Halsey from pursuing the Japanese carriers used as bait.

Gator

Browning was actually Halsey's Chief of Staff. George Murray was the Big E's skipper at Midway.

Browning was also doomed by having an extra-marital affair with the wife of another officer, which was a BIG no-no, especially in the 40's. He was the first Captain of the second Hornet (CV-12), mostly because of Halsey, but didn't last long, as he didn't run a very harmonious ship.

I agree that he would have helped reign Halsey in, but I think they still would have chased after the Japanese carriers. After all, those were the big prize - the USN had no way to know the Japanese had almost no pilots left to fly off those valuable decks. However, I do think that Browning would have probably induced Halsey to leave Lee off the entrance to San Bernadino Straight....

Quoted Text

Am I the only one doing a battleship for Leyte Gulf. Weird. I t was more of a battleship fight than an aircraft carrier. After all, Halsey took them all up north chasing after what as left of the Japanese carier fleet. All the good fighting was at Suriago Straight and Samar Island.

Interesting point you make Steve. I guess you could make the case in either direction. On the one hand, you have Surigao, which was a shooting match. On the other hand, it was Naval aviation that carried the day outside of the carnage at Surigao Strait...the baby flat tops won the day at Samar by driving the Japanese heavy ships back with airpower.

I'm leaning towards doing a flat top for the campaign...once I finish my flat top for the flat top campaign! Good thing this one is a year long...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:20 AM UTC
Thanks all who supplied info about CPT Browning. I never heard of him but am always eager to learn all I can about this section of history.

Mike..thanks for your kind program. I certainly hope some folks take you up . I know for sure that the FUSO, Yamashiro, and Musashi were there and all 3 went down. Too lazy to confirm the other 2 but it seems likely they were there as well.

Well campaign start is just 2 weeks away. I have everything I need. Looking fo a table mounted jig saw to butcher the deck for my conversion. A razor saw would probably be too difficult trying to cut out the supestructure base. Just got my BR 52 kit yesterday and am havin difficulty not getting involved with that.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hey Steve, Craftsman has a router table for the Dremel. You can put a spiral cutting bit in and have at it. Also, Harbor Freight has a 4" bench top tabl saw.

Gator
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:46 PM UTC
My poblems in life are not finding what I need. My problems stem not being able to afford anything. In fact, every model kit / accessory I buy could end up biting me in the butt come March. I'll be flat broke by then and selling off anythng and everything I own just to eat and try to hold onto the house. I am seriously looking to take my over-educated butt down to MacDonalds and flipping burgers until they figure out I'm too incompetant to do that. It don't take brains just rapid responses and manual dexterity which I lack. That is why I acn't do forklift work....too slow even though I never ever drop anything or damage it other than a couple of times in my life
swingbowler
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 162 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 02:13 PM UTC
I can understand the money supply bit...afterall i'm a freelance musician

I'm really interested in this campaign and will enlist in it. I have a Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher destroyer with GMM PE, it will be my first attempt at PE for a ship. Just picked up James Hornfischer's 'The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors' at Borders. That should constitute my research for this campaign. I would like to build one of the destroyers involved in the Battle off Samar. Which brings me to the question of decals for the hull numbers: where can I get them? And what mods do I need to do for the Fletcher kit?
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hey Lim,

Sounds great. You may want to check NavSource before you start. I don't think that any of the tin cans at Samar were the round bridge like the Fletcher. I do know that the Aulick, which was configured like the Fletcher was at Surigao Strait.

High Bridge Fletchers

One the decals, try here:

Link 1

Link 2

High Bridge Fletchers
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
Isn't the Sullivans the other version of the Fletcher. I have an immense file that Jeff Herne comprised of all the Fletchers. I don't have it on computer anymore, but I did print it. Get me the names of a bunch of those destroyers and I can give you ship numbers and if they are round bridge or square. In that chart I show the Sullivans as a square and the Fletcher as a round. Both kits are available at Great Models though the Trumpeter Sullivans is about 6 bucks cheaper than the Tamiya Fletcher.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 08:03 AM UTC
You are corret, Mr. Joyce. The Sullivan is a "square" brigde Fletcher. The Navy refered to the Fletchers as high bridge (round bridge) and low bridge (square bridge). Go to the Destroyer History website and the break them down there.

Later...Gator
swingbowler
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 162 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
thanks for the links and tips gator.

I realized that I've posted in the inappropriate topic thread here... but thanks for the replies anyway. future postings will be in the Leyte Gulf campaign thread.
Yes, the bridge issue..got me worried... went through the lists yesterday and finally came up with one: DD 577 USS Sproston was at Samar and is a high bridge Fletcher. Correct me if I'm wrong and before I commit my internet decal purchase. Otherwise it will be to just build DD 445, which isn't as fun as doing something unique.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hey Lim,

The USS Sproston is a go. I love tin cans so I can't wait to see yours.

Later...Gator
 _GOTOTOP