_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Photo etch for 1/700
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:37 PM UTC
I recently bought a 1/700 Bismark by Dragon which had PE provided, I upped the ante when I bought the Eduard PE set for this ans said OMG they look so fragile? Those railing are just so small!

Then I went on to buy Revell S-100 schnellboot and also matching PE's. This at 1/72 is quite ok. I don't see it as intimidating.

But now, I'm reluctant to built that Bismark.

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I recently bought a 1/700 Bismark by Dragon which had PE provided, I upped the ante when I bought the Eduard PE set for this ans said OMG they look so fragile? Those railing are just so small!

Then I went on to buy Revell S-100 schnellboot and also matching PE's. This at 1/72 is quite ok. I don't see it as intimidating.

But now, I'm reluctant to built that Bismark.

Don't be reluctant. Just take it slow and be careful. PE can really add a lot to a 700th scale model...you'll be happy you took the plunge once the model is finished.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC
I concur totally with Martin. You are not required to use all the PE, use only what you are comfortable with. Usually replacing the cranes and radars and adding railings around the main deck makes a big difference. Doing all the bending and curving to get the bridge area might work better if you don't try to do it in one piece.
 _GOTOTOP