_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Kriegsmarine paints recommendation needed
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 08:49 AM UTC
I would like to buy a complete set of Kriegsmarine paints for my future u-boats and ships. I have Tamiya equivalents, but if I can get something more accurate, I wouldn't mind spending the money on it. I heard WEM makes good paints, but they are enamel, correct? I prefer acrylics due to quicker drying, but if enamel is the way to go as far as quality goes, I will get those instead. Also a good website for buying them without waiting months would be great too.
Thanks!
Removed by original poster on 11/15/06 - 11:14:01 (GMT).
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 09:15 AM UTC
Ahoy Ion,

Here is a link to a document put together by Dougie Martindale.

49 pages of the best research on u-boat colors.

A must read for any u-boat modeller.

http://www.rocketcopy.biz/models/rokket/uboat/images/uboat_colours.pdf

Enjoy!

Joe
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 03:00 PM UTC
I always liked the Model Master's Lichtgrau and Schwartzgrau for my Kreigsmarine stuff. I use enamel, but I'm pretty sue you can find the same thing in acrylic.
WEM paints are extremely accurate, and you can order them direct. They are expensive. If you can stumble across a stateside vender that is the way to go even if they are enamel.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 06:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the link Joe!

Ion, I buy the Model Master Acryl Marine colors from Trident Hobbies. While not as spot on as WEM, they are very close. I use them because I'm allergic to enamel.

Gator
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC
I use the WEM paints almost exclusively for my builds, and I like them a lot. Drying time isn't a big deal to me, due to the limited time I get to paint anyway.

You can order them direct from White Ensign at http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/,. In the US, you can order them from Randy Short over at Snyder and Short Enterprises, which is http://www.shipcamouflage.com/.

You can order online from WEM, but not from Randy. Either use the printable order form or drop Randy an e-mail and let him know what you want.
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 09:21 PM UTC
Thank you guys. I'm having issues contacting Randy. I've called him several times before, left a voicemail and also emailed him yesterday. If I don't get a reply by this weekend, I'll be ordering from WEM directly.
 _GOTOTOP