_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
U.S.S Arizona....Please Help
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 03:51 AM UTC
Some people are married to their ideas and I don't expect the fight over colors to stop any time soon. That said, it actually extends into the 1930s, the 1941 memo Don uncovered was merely the latest iteration of it at the time. If you look you will see colored turret top markings on ships that had scout planes attached at least as far back as the mid 1930s.

I'm hoping that Ron Smith will get his work completed and published but it got back burnered... he burnt out from all the attacks and squabbling so there's no set schedule... you can either believe it or not for the time being.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 08:41 AM UTC
Patience is a virtue I am possessed of. It won't take long to pull my kit down and carefully repaint the turret tops. I'll wait a bit longer....I kinda like the idea of adding a bit of color to the old lady. Don't want all my ships to look alike which is why I backdate and update my kits.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hey all I have a bit of a problem with the flag deck on my Arizona.

Do I then down the pillars to give room for the stairs?
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:51 PM UTC
That's one way, although I'm not sure how much plastic you'd have to fix it. Or you could put the missing hatch over the stairs... or just leave it.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:06 PM UTC
Tracy,
Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't placed the hatches yet but I think I will try to trim the pillars a bit and see what they look like.

Also does any one know what types of guns those are on the flag bridge? I might have to repair them when I try removeing the molded railings.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hey all,

I was surfing another site and a modeller had a 1/426 Arizona and he painted some of the life boats yellow(at lest it looked yellow) I have never seen this has any one else seen yellow life boats on Arizona?

Also, how do I go about making the canvas bag that went around the main guns (sorry I have no idea what the proper name is). I don't care much if the barrels or the gun moves so I was thinking maybe putty????? or maybe a small chunk of cloth???? any ideas will be helpful.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 04:44 AM UTC
Admirals and captains barges were often decorated but I've never heard of a yellow boat...

Regular filler putty won't work.. you're better off using a 2-part epoxy putty such as milliput or apoxie sculpt.

Here's how milliput blast bags look on a model before painting:
http://www.ipms.nl/specials/schepen-jos/schepen-josv-bism.html

You can get either for $5-10
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 07:09 AM UTC
I've used putty before and it is.....well.....satisfactory. Tracy is a master craftsman and I would listen to his advice.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 07:20 AM UTC
I'm no master craftsman!
I'm a good researcher and a decent builder, but I have a LOOOOOOOONG way to go before I'm any kind of master.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 08:49 AM UTC
Tracy,
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to get some of the miliputt (spelling?) next time I'm at the LHS. That article you sent me to was great. Alot of work went into that Bismark.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:00 PM UTC
Hey all,

I'm looking for some hose reels(fire type), water tight doors(closed), ladders, and stairs. I don't want to buy whole sets since I might not need a whole lot extra but I'm going to run short of that stuff with my GMM PE set since I'm adding extra. So if any of you have that type of thing in 1/400 scale let me know in a PM.

PS. railling also.....
 _GOTOTOP