_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Worst construction accidents
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi Shipmates

I was working on the IJN Isuzu last week with my modelling knife with a No. 11 blade. Not only are these 1/700 parts hard to clean up I forgot I had installed a new blade and as a result put a nice slice into my thumb.

I usually use the blade pretty blunt.

Blood everywhere. Stung like hell for a couple of days.

Compared to Gators recent argument with a saw it was insignificant.

I have been lucky and its my only small accident for a very very long time.

It started me thinking what is the worst type of modelling related accident others have experienced?

Regards

Sean
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 02:35 AM UTC
I feel for you Sean, my boy. You guessed it, I sliced a part of my finger tip off a week ago, same hand. And it does hurt!
I may have to stop using sharp objects on Sundays! :-)

Worst ever...my left thumb with the same saw while making a base. That time it was just a nick. I learned my lesson and started using a push stick.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 05:18 AM UTC
Luckily I’ve only had a few small slices and punctures to my hands while modeling.

Modeling seems to be one of the safer ways I spend my time.

Kenny I think you may need to look into something likeThis :-)
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hey! That may work!

:-) :-)
GunnerGreg
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 08:12 AM UTC
My worst accident with a modeling knife wasn't even modeling related.

I used to work for a newspaper back in the day (1982-83). We printed the strips of text, then trimmed them with modeling knife and a ruler and then cut them to fit the available column length.

So, I'm trimming a column and the knife catches a burr on the ruler and "jumps the track" so to speak and pretty much the entire blade ends up buried in my left thumb and nail.

It took HOURS to clean up the layout table. I missed two weeks of work (one week to heal and a week because the Senior Editor was pissed). It took a year or more before the nail looked right and I have a scar on my left thumb to this day...

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 04:08 PM UTC
Even though I use real scapel blades which are much much sharper than x-acto versions I have never really damaged myself. The only time I really sliced mself up good was on a deli-meat slicer. Luckily I felt the slip and was able to turn the thumb and was getting the synapses to start retraction. Still, required some stitching and special plaster.
Adolph
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
I also use real scalpel blades and fortunately have not had a serious mishap, but pulled myself up short tonight while pushing a lifting hook into place on the tank I am building using the point of the scalpel with the blade turned upand a fair bit of pressure to seat the part. I thought about the possible conseqences of it and turned the sharp side down.
If my hand had slipped up the shaft with the blade upturned, I probably would not be replying to this thread tonight.
Be careful out there Boys!
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 09:11 PM UTC
Well, years ago my xacto knife rolled off the work bench and landed point down in the top of my shoe/foot. Luckily I had shoes on and the point just barely punctured my foot. Now days my knives are all roll proof. I have also had some slips over the years and cut my fingers, but nothing too bad.

_GOTOTOP