_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Correct RN colours for WWI?
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the correct shade/s of grey for HMS Conqueror at the time of Jutland.

And the colours for HMS Invincible the Battlecruiser not the carrier at the Battle of the Falklands in 1914.

If you can identify the WEM colours that would be great.

Thanks

Ciao
Luciano
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the correct shade/s of grey for HMS Conqueror at the time of Jutland.

And the colours for HMS Invincible the Battlecruiser not the carrier at the Battle of the Falklands in 1914.

Thanks

Ciao
Luciano

WEM is the key word here, mate. . .you should drop a line to John Snyder
at White Ensign, I'm sure that he would be more than willing to tell you the colourcoat numbers that you need. . .
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 03:37 AM UTC
I'm sure JOhn will respond on Monday. He would definitely be the man in the know for something like that.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Thanks

Ciao
Luciano

The British had repainted the majority of their battle fleet into a light grey in late 1914. I used WEM's 507C Light Grey when I built my 1/350 Invincible, but I saw Mr. Synder recommend WEMs "Batlic Hellgrau" as a better match for the shade in response to a similar query on a message board. Of course, my model was more than 1/2 done at that point, and I wasn't going back!

Conqueror should have been painted in a similar scheme. In some pictures I've seen, it looks like the turret tops are dark grey. The superstructure decks were covered in linoleum, WEM has a color for this too: Corticene.

_GOTOTOP