_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
HMS Canopus
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:55 PM UTC
All,

I have all of a sudden got a bug to build the ships from the 1914 Battle of the Falkland Isles.

I have found the Invincible and Inflexible but does any one know where I can find a 1/700 HMS Canopus Pre-Dreadnought Battleship?

I'm also looking for HMS Bristol and HMS Glasgow (Bristol class) Second class protected cruisers (light cruisers)

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Ciao
Luciano
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 03:20 PM UTC
Ahoy, Luciano!

Well mate, I think you might be kit-bashing and scratching to achieve the 1/700 HMS Canopus Pre-Dreadnought that you wish to. . .I'm not sure of any available kit in any media, BUT, someone else out there in cyberspace may!
Good Luck,
~Gunny
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 94 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 04:47 PM UTC
I think HMS Canopus is on Kombrig's 'to do' list.

Having looked at WEM I now feel like buying HMS Monmouth, since the bit of Wales where I was born was Monmouthshire at the time. And I've done several excavations in the town..

David
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 06:00 PM UTC
Thanks guy's.

I have checked WEM and also looked at Kombrig's site some very interesting ships.
There is something about the WWI ships that beg to be done, may be its that they look so busy with gun's sticking out everywhere and turrets where ever there is room. Also I think that it may be that they were still in the transition from the age of sail, and honour/tradition was still very much in evidence.

Ciao
Luciano
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 06:38 PM UTC
If you can't find the old girl you can always console yourself by explaining she really didn't take too much, if any, part in the actual battle.

Have you found the German ships, or are you just doing the RN?

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you can't find the old girl you can always console yourself by explaining she really didn't take too much, if any, part in the actual battle.

She did fire the first shot - and hit with it! (only it was a practice shell)

David
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

David you are quite right she did fire the first shots and hit and that was from behind a hill. It saved the rest of the fleet which was coaling at the time in harbour.

Could go into more detail but I'm at work so don't have the books with me.

Rodger - Yes I will be doing the German ships as well, but will start with the British.

Ciao
Luciano
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

David you are quite right she did fire the first shots and hit and that was from behind a hill. It saved the rest of the fleet which was coaling at the time in harbour.

Could go into more detail but I'm at work so don't have the books with me.

Rodger - Yes I will be doing the German ships as well, but will start with the British.

Ciao
Luciano

From memory, one of the turret crews had 'anticipated' a firing drill by loading their guns during the night. They didn't have time to reload when von Spee's ships appeared and had to fire the practice shells. One skipped off the surface of the sea and scored a direct hit.

BTW While I was looking at Model Warships I spotted this thread about the Scharnhorst and co Falklands ships

David
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC
Thanks for that link David.

Ciao
Luciano
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 09:17 AM UTC
The mind goes first.I guess I was thinking of Coronel. Now Canopus didn't make it to that one right? Or do I need to consider a brain wipe so I can remember stufff I used to know?

Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:51 PM UTC
Rodger, no your mind has not gone completely yet :-)

Your right on the second go HMS Canopus did miss the Coronel action. For the Falklands action she had been beached at Port Stanley and had spotters in the surrounding hills which spotted the approching German squadron. The Germans spotted a tripod mast of one of the Battlecruisers and at around that time Canopus fired scoring a hit from behind the hills, although it was with a practice round.
The German squadron believing they where entering a trap turned for the open sea, in so doing saving the British fleet (not ready for action) and sealing thier own fate.

It's a very interesting action that until a few weeks ago I knew very little about. While waiting for the club setup time at SMW Telford I popped into the local library and picked a book at random and wow I was hooked.

Now if I could only remember the name of that book.

Ciao
Luciano
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 02:02 PM UTC
The book I re-read a weekend or two ago was a reprint of Geoffrey Bennett's Coronel and the Falklands

David
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
The book I read on the battle was from years and years ago, Barrie Pitt's Revenge at Sea. If anybody remembers the old Ballentines Illustrated History of World War II books Pitt was the editor in chief of the series. He could really turn a phrase. I remember the last part of the book he wrote something to the effect of "If Graf Spee had fought under the White Ensign ( the RN flag, my note) he would have been part of a great naval tradition. As it is he's best remembered for a scuttled ship, and her captain's suicide in Montevideo harbor."
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 01:25 PM UTC
Well to answer my own question Kombrig have listed the HMS Canopus as a 2007 release So now just need to wait.

Ciao
Luciano
 _GOTOTOP