_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Going Off The rails
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
Hi all ,am new to this part of the forums.
I have just brought my first model battleship which is the tamiya prince of wales for £40.ok after looking at the continents of the box which do look good i noticed there are no rails?so after searching white ensign models i have to fork out another £20 for the photo etch parts.why carnt Tamiya supply all that is needed to complete the model?and to supply the jap bombers that sunk the ship is silly if you ask me.

reguards

karl

p.s happy christmas
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all ,am new to this part of the forums.
I have just brought my first model battleship which is the tamiya prince of wales for £40.ok after looking at the continents of the box which do look good i noticed there are no rails?so after searching white ensign models i have to fork out another £20 for the photo etch parts.why carnt Tamiya supply all that is needed to complete the model?and to supply the jap bombers that sunk the ship is silly if you ask me.

reguards

karl

p.s happy christmas

Hi Karl, Welcome aboard, mate!

I hear what your saying, mate, but are you sure that the parts were just not packaged at the factory? I have had models come w/o parts or damaged parts from the place of manufacture. . .are they listed in the instruction sheet as a provided part? IMHO, though, you'll be more happy with the PE rails, mate!

~Gunny
wolfpack6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 03:42 AM UTC
Welcome Aboard Karl!
Well you have to remember that your Kit has been around awile, back then there wasnt PE and Rails on ships werent to common, Tamiya does a bang up job making these kits but they are just Dated.
They may upgrade the Kit one day, by adding PE, I hope.
Hope this helps, the KGV looks great even without the rails.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 03:55 AM UTC
The ship model sector isn't quite as far thinking as what is currently a new trend just starting in the 35th tank area. An all inclusive kit. Look at all the tank kits, how many supply the kit with metal gun tubes, or fine brass engine deck screen, fenders, and grab bars. If you want all that You bought the kit, then got a Jordio or CMK gun tube. An aber or eduard PE set and those Fruil metal tracks. So the same as for ships. You get a 350 scale kit and if yu want to spice it up you get a PE set. Trust me, if you have every seen 350 scale railing sets in plastic, you'ld replace them with Photo etch in a heartbeat.
 _GOTOTOP