_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
A few questions
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 03:18 PM UTC
Just a couple of questions.

Do you guys drill out the port holes?and will it make the model look better?

and whats the best way to take off the molded chain on the forward deck without making a cockup?

Also what size chain is best for 1/350 scale,and where to buy them from.

kind reguards
karl
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 04:47 PM UTC
Here are my two cents (and take it from a non-ship builder)

Portholes would have glass in them on the 1:1. To detail them you may want to drill them out and replace them with clear styrene. Maybe just a simple overlay from the back?

Removing fine details is similar for all models - my tip would be to use a new hobby blade and slowly peal it away by cutting thin layers away. Then before getting to the deck (one or two layers away) conver to using and sanding stick. Go slow is the key, don't try to remove it all in one cut.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 05:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a couple of questions.
kind reguards
karl

Ahoy, Karl!
That's what we're here for, mate! We Looove to talk about modeling!

Quoted Text

Do you guys drill out the port holes?and will it make the model look better?

Very simply, mate, yes, I drill out the port-holes of many subjects. . .it will make the model look better, and it will also increase how accurate the finished subject looks. . .although many subjects look just as good with painted port-holes. Scale is a big factor here with me, my friend. . .sometimes it just doesn't pay to take the extra time and effort on smaller subjects.

Quoted Text

and whats the best way to take off the molded chain on the forward deck without making a cockup?

Well, mate, the only way that I know of is very careful trimming and scraping with an x-acto knife. . .and you will have to re-scribe deck details no matter what, because you will bugger up the beast no matter how good or careful you are!

Quoted Text

Karl, I get most of my ship fittings like this from a place here in the US known as Bluejacket Ship Crafters. They list many types of chain in their catalog.

Bluejacket

I'm sure that you will be able to find something "a little closer to home"
on your side of the pond, though!
Hope this helps ya out some, mate. . .what are ye' working on?
~Gunny
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 05:52 PM UTC
You guys are great :-)
What more could i ask for.

Thanks for the advice.

karl
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can’t help you with the size but to add to what Mark said you can also find lots of small chains in jewelry stores (or stands at flee markets.) And at any stores selling model train supplies.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 03:45 AM UTC
you can order chain from hobby shops or pick it up at flea markets, jewelery stores extcetera. The issue becomes what size do you want it. For a 350 scale ship I would go with between 20 links per inch and 30....the smaller end preferred. Probably optimal around 26 -28. Some of the newer detail kits that are going a bit beyond just railings cranes and such (like Lionroar) are including chain. I have found that a lot of what Hobby stores sell as fine link chain is based on a 35th scale and is kinda big for 350.
AndrewAnten
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:57 AM UTC
You can find as many as Wood Ship Kits on the Ages of Sail from the top-notch manufacturers and suppliers all at highly competitive prices.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 07:46 PM UTC
For scraping and removing surface detail I use one of these: http://www.micromark.com/2mm-plastic-modelers-chisel,8175.html
If you want really insane anchor chain: http://northstarmodels.com/product/1350-ships-patterned-chains-08-mm/
Drilling out port holes is just a matter of personal preference. I just paint mine in with a black oil wash.
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 08:32 PM UTC
Karl -

In 1/350 scale, if you drill out the portholes, you will probably need some form of backing like plastic sheet or heavy paper unless you are after that "see through" look. Paint the baking a dark grey. I like German Panzer Schwarzgrau. Painting it black usually looks out of scale. You can then fill in the hole with something like Micro Krystal Klear or Humbrol Clearfix.

For 1/700 scale, I simply deepen the hole a bit, put a drop of Schwarzgrau in the hole and then cover it with a drop of Future (or whatever it is called now).

HTH
 _GOTOTOP