_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
I can't live without my?
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:36 PM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates

Its the end of the week for me and I have been pondering what is the one modelling tool or thing I could not live without?

Apart from the obvious like my wife, this forum, support of fellow modellers, the internet etc. at the most basic level I have decided that I may not be able to survive modelling without my Revell Contacta Glue.

It comes with a needle point applicator etc. I sit here with a fond vision of its blue bottle and silver needle point.

After putting up with tube cement in the 1970's it was one of the first things I got when I returned to the hobby. It made an instant and positive impact on my modelling. Accurate delivery, no stringing and I loved its smell. One lot of it lasted years and years.

It made it all that more enjoyable.

The sad note you cant get it here in New Zealand any more.

Can I survive without it in the short term yes of course. However I find my slow pace of construction does not seem to suit Superglue or the Tamiya extra thin type glues. Clearly I work and think to slow. LOL

There is a sad emptiness in my tool kit.

Will I seek to source some from somewhere damn right I will. Oops please excuse the language.

How about you?

What is the one thing modelling wise that you feel you could not live without?

Regards

Sean
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a sad emptiness in my tool kit.

To paraphrase Gunny Highway from "Heartbreak Ridge"...
Come on boy. You're a modeler; you improvise, overcome and adapt! :-)

For me, it would have to be my airbrush. I don't know how I did it any other way.

Kenny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 02:25 AM UTC
I'm in my mid-50's, and absolutely love to do detail work. I can't live without my lighted magnifying glass!!

Tom
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 06:43 AM UTC
What about the Mk I thumbnail? It's a side cutter, file, sander, and along with the index finger a set of tweezers, all in one.

Seriously, I suppose it would have to be an Exacto knife with No. 11 blade. That thing can do just about anything. Now if it could only get my lazy butt over to the workbench it would be perfect.

CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Model Shipwrights: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in my mid-50's, and absolutely love to do detail work. I can't live without my lighted magnifying glass!!

Tom

Gotta agree here! No lighted opt-i-visor, no modeling! At least I wouldn't be able to build anything recognizable!
(life after 50 has it's challenges)

Cheers
Charles
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What about the Mk I thumbnail? It's a side cutter, file, sander, and along with the index finger a set of tweezers, all in one.

Tell me about it. With my untimely run in with the table saw, I have half of a finger nail and no feeling in the tip of my left index finger. I'm having to learn how to model all over again.

Kenny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 01:18 AM UTC
I guess you can tell who the old guys are. My optivisor. Without it, I probably would have pretty much given up on modeling by now
 _GOTOTOP