_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
HMS Dreadnought
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates

This was a pretty classy ship and has a very significant place in Naval History.

Here she is in all her splendour:

Is it true there is no plastic kit of this ship?

If so it seems unusual. Does anyone know why or have a theory about why?

Are there resin versions in 1/350 th or 1/700 th scale?

If so whats a good resin one to look at building in say 1/350th scale?

Regards

Sean
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:44 AM UTC
http://www.steelnavy.com/SNDreadnought.htm is one option, if it is still around. 1/350 scale in resin.

If you are really desperate for a scale replica then check out this 1/700 scale card model. Free download of printable files in .pdf format and instructions:
http://www.digitalnavy.com/html/downloads.html
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it true there is no plastic kit of this ship?

If so it seems unusual. Does anyone know why or have a theory about why?

Are there resin versions in 1/350 th or 1/700 th scale?

If so whats a good resin one to look at building in say 1/350th scale?

Regards

Sean

Sean,

Nothing in plastic. There are a few resins versions available. In 1/350 is the old Rhino Models kit, which is now being re-released by Iron Shipwright. Check their website for details.

Combrig also makes a nice little 1/700 version of this kit. IIRC, HP may make one in 1/700 as well.

I built the 1/350 version in 2006:

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:02 PM UTC
Ok folks, I haven't had one of my rants lately, I guess I'm due. Sean, you're right, no plastic kit of the Dreadnought, the ship that started it all. (actually a point could be made that America made the first all big gun BB, but they didn't get finished until after the Big D.) So here we have a fantastic ship, that really screams for a good, moderately priced, plastic version, and nobody will give us one. So how many Bismarcks are there? In every possible scale? Yeah, yeah, I know, it's what people are buying. I guess they all feel they'd rather have 10% of the Bismarck market, than 100% of the Dreadnought market. You'd think though that just maybe somebody could decide they'd rather corner the market and just maybe clean up big.

Ok, rant over, go back to your models.

Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 01:13 PM UTC
Rodger your rant is also close to my heart.

As much as I want a 1/700 Littorio or Warspite a good Hood (Trumpeter has listed 1/700) or I like the Washington / Bismarck / KGV etc where is a plastic kit of the grand daddy (or should that be grand mother) of them all?

One small point though and thats that the American ships although laid down before Dreadnought did not go all the way as they did not have the turbine power plant which was the other thing which set Dreadnought apart.

Ciao
Luciano
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC
Thanks Shipmates much appreciated.

Regards

Sean
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 10:39 AM UTC
I would love to contribute to Rodger's rant, but therin lies the problem. Ship modelers overall are probably 25% the number of airplane modelers. We are just too divided on what we want, and we want so much. Rodger wants British and crusiers, I want Japanese and late mid war US battleships. I know a guy that screams and screams for a Fuso. SOmeone else want some off the wall ship. Just look at that poll we did for 350 scale. They even listed what they were looking hard at and all the weird requests that showed up. We need to be more united and settle for one victory at a time. I honestly think that is how we finally got the Hood. So right now, i think other than waiting on the Alabama, I think the Takao wil be the next one and then maybe the Akagi.
 _GOTOTOP