_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
SITE
KitMaker Campaign Administrators
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 03:20 PM UTC
Ahoy Mates!

Just in case you haven't been following the latest site-wide events concerning our campaigns, and their administration here at KitMaker, each individual section (Armorama, Aeroscale,ModelGeek, etc.) will now have it's own Campaign Administrator, to make things operate much more smoothly and efficiently in this area. . .I will be taking on this position here at MSW (quite happily, I will add!) so basically, any campaign related questions, problems, and proposals should be directed towards myself.

I hope that we can have a very successful campaign year at MSW, we have some great ones going on now, but we're going to need some new ideas for future endeavors! We can use this thread to discuss future campaigns, if you wish, hash out some ideas, and just get a general overall feeling of what YOU, want to see in this category of our site!

Campaign Headquarters

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 05:47 PM UTC
Congratulations on the new position Mark.
After seeing some of the campaigns you ran I’m sure your do a fantastic job.

Quoted Text

We can use this thread to discuss future campaigns, if you wish, hash out some ideas, and just get a general overall feeling of what YOU, want to see in this category of our site!

I would still like to see more campaigns to choose from.
I do understand our ships take some time to build and the number we can run successfully is determined by the number of members. Just something to think about as we grow.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 07:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the support Jacob!
So tell me, what types of campaigns would you like to see?
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 09:55 PM UTC

(No need to say anything)
Answering Jacob and to the rest of the crew too:
Campaigns can be started by any member, considering that it has at least a quorum of 10 enlisted/proposed members to advance with it. Themes or subjects should be inquired amongst the crew, to see if there's a chance to go with it...
For instance, imagine a Campaign called "Portuguese coastal fishing boats"... Even if I liked this theme a lot (which I don't), I would doubt that this campaign would go forward for a couple of reasons:
- there's no models available (and very little plans);
- little interest amongs the other members.

It's a question of making a compromise between the likes of the crew and availability of subjects for the campaign.
And then, there's the time frame! As most of you know, building a ship can be very easy and fast, if you go OOB (damn, even I, a slow worker, can build one OOB in one weekend). But you can't (or can) make a Campaign that last one month - too short!
Also a campaign ruinning too long (we have one year long campaigns) can be very tricky too... We don't comit to it and than it's already too late to finish - we need focus and a good balance in the time frame!
The fun part of a Campaign is making a ship model and see all the guys that enter the campaign making their ships, and they are all related - ok, you can say that this makes a "wave effect": now we only see subs, now we only see carriers, now we only see battleships, but... there's campaigns like "Leyte" where you see all types of vessels! The point here is that if you have a lot to choose, we will get scatered and we are not that many. So we have been having two three campaigns per year, which considering that we are a small community, it isn't that bad!

All these points are now under the power of Mark - and from the previous campaigns that he managed, I know he will make good decisions and help anyone who wants to start a campaign!

Just my two cents
Skipper
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:01 PM UTC
Congrats Mark on another promotion.
Since you are already at the top of the enlisted ranks, you will have to take a battlefield commision and start over as an ensign. :-) :-)

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All these points are now under the power of Mark - and from the previous campaigns that he managed, I know he will make good decisions and help anyone who wants to start a campaign!
Just my two cents
Skipper

Thanks Rui, I really do appreciate the support, my friend. . .and if it wasn't for all the great member participation that we have in our campaigns here at MSW, success would be a minimum, for sure! I'm ready, willing, and able to talk about all of your campaign proposals!

Quoted Text

Since you are already at the top of the enlisted ranks, you will have to take a battlefield commision and start over as an ensign.
:-) :-)

:-) :-)
Bring it on!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since you are already at the top of the enlisted ranks, you will have to take a battlefield commision and start over as an ensign.

Chiefs run the boat, ensigns just get in the way. So does this make you a 90 day wonder? :-)

Congrats big guy (I ain't salutin' you though).

Kenny
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well as I’ve said before I like the “type of ship” campaigns we’ve been having. (Battleships, carriers, PT boats.) And would love to see one for at least destroyers and cruisers as well sometime.

Also (and don’t know how well they would work now with the sub sites system.) wouldn’t mind seeing ones that could include none ships again.(such as in flattops when planes were also allowed)

Just some ideas.

I’ve got to many projects lined up right now to propose any campaigns at this time. May give it a try in the future

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Chiefs run the boat, ensigns just get in the way. So does this make you a 90 day wonder? :-)

Congrats big guy (I ain't salutin' you though).

Kenny

oooohhh, 'dems is fightin' words in these here parts, mate!

Seriously, Ken, thanks for the support, Bro. . .
Cheers,
~Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:38 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Also (and don’t know how well they would work now with the sub sites system.) wouldn’t mind seeing ones that could include none ships again.(such as in flattops when planes were also allowed)

Agree 100% with ya here, Jacob. . .I had a real good time with Flattops, working with our wingnut buddies from Aeroscale. . .now all we need is some good ideas to incorporate the other satellite sites of KitMaker into the picture. . .like maybe a Landing Craft type campaign, so our bud's from the "Big A" can join in, etc. . .

Quoted Text

I’ve got to many projects lined up right now to propose any campaigns at this time. May give it a try in the future

No problemo, Jacob, we got plenty of time, mate!
~Gunny
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 05:27 AM UTC
Ahoy Mark,

Congrats! on your new position....

Cheers,

Joe
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
Congrats Mark.

Having run a massive one (140 sign ups) just recently and all the sweat and hard work that has to be put into it, I don't exactly envy you your new job, but on the otherhand I could not think of anyone more qualified to run it and do it successfully. You have my total support

Steve
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 04:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Mark,

Congrats! on your new position....

Cheers,

Joe

Quoted Text

Congrats Mark.

Having run a massive one (140 sign ups) just recently and all the sweat and hard work that has to be put into it, I don't exactly envy you your new job, but on the otherhand I could not think of anyone more qualified to run it and do it successfully. You have my total support

Steve

Thanks again for the support, mates. . .that's what makes this site so unique. . .true camaraderie, which is what our campaigns are all about!

~Gunny
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC
Ahoy Mark

From the current shore leave contigent down under in New Zealand congrats on the new appointment.

You have my support and if you need help you know you just have to ask.

Great recognition for all your dedicated effort.

Regards

Sean
 _GOTOTOP