_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Roll Call! Military Small Craft Campaign
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 05:23 PM UTC
Ahoy Mates!

Yeah, yeah, I know it's not April yet, but if you look at yer calendars, it's not too far off! Time to start rattlin' the cages!

Our campaigns here at MSW have been quite a success, currently we have Dive! Dive! Dive! 2, being steered by Rui (Skipper) Matos, which ends March 25th of this year, and The Leyte Gulf Campaign, with Kenny (Gator) Loup at the helm, running til October 25th of this year as well. . .

The next campaign on slate at Model Shipwrights will be the Military Small Craft campaign, which begins April 1st, 2007, running til October 28th, 2008, which currently we have 20 participants signed up, but it would sure be great to have alot more!

Diorama and figgie builders are welcome and encouraged here as well, in hopes of this campaign possibly spanning over into our sister sites of HF and Armorama, because quite honestly, the more the merrier!

We had great fun with Aeroscale joining us for Beebe's Flattops! Campaign, and we can have just as much modeling madness with this one as well! So pass the word on, mates, and lets make this another successful campaign!

Follow the link below to read more about this campaign, and if yer name isn't on the list, well, just click on the enlist button, matie! Yearghhhh!

Military Small Craft

Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 06:18 PM UTC
Ahoy Gunny. I'm signed up, I think I was first , and my ultra top secret entry is picked out and ready to order.

You know, it's way to early in the morning to be rattlin' cages. Gators take a little time to wake up.

Kenny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Gunny. I'm signed up, I think I was first , and my ultra top secret entry is picked out and ready to order.

You know, it's way to early in the morning to be rattlin' cages. Gators take a little time to wake up.

Kenny

Shoot. . .you cold blooded critters NEVER wake up! :-) :-)

Thanks Gator, I'm VERY curious of your entry, BTW!!!!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC
Well....it's a torpedo boat. And it goes in the water. And it has a torpedo.

Does that help?
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:22 PM UTC
I'll be doing the first torpedo boat...the CSS David.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hmmm. . .now that's VERY unique, mate!
Just can't keep a secret now, can ya!?
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Model Shipwrights: 93 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Mates!
The next campaign on slate at Model Shipwrights will be the Military Small Craft campaign, which begins April 1st, 2007, running til October 28th, 2008, which currently we have 20 participants signed up, but it would sure be great to have alot more!

Ahoy Gunny,

I'm in. Always wanted to build a PT boat and I happen to have one in my stash!

Thanks,
Gary
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 03:40 AM UTC
Well..... I am in (for a long time!)
I can only say that it will be.... 1/35 scale!
And that's all for now (I can keep a secret!!!) :-)

But first I have to finish my ORP Kaszub and make my Leyte Gulf Campaign entry (which I don't know each one... just have to take a good look at the stash!!!)

Skipper
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 03:47 AM UTC
I'm in! I have an Airfix 1/72 Vosper MTB to build! Lovely, classy looking boat!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And that's all for now (I can keep a secret!!!)

Hey Rui, I didn't want to hold him in suspense too long. Besides, I had already told him what I was going to build, he just didn't remember. You know what they say, the mind is the first to go.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey Rui, I didn't want to hold him in suspense too long. Besides, I had already told him what I was going to build, he just didn't remember. You know what they say, the mind is the first to go.

:-) :-) :-)
What mind??? I don't even remember what I was talking about
Just teasing you, man!

I think that this is a great oportunity for another big batch of wonderfull models, that's for sure!!!
Skipper out - until further developments on this campaign
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

:-) :-)

Ya know what, Gator, now that you mention it. . .I still can't remember!!
No but seriously, I do recall us discussing this Ken, you know how it goes. . .(and I do agree with your comments, though! )

Cheers, mates!
~Gunny
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 09:36 PM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Well, I'm glad to see the Military Small Craft Campaign starting to get 'under way'. I'm sure it will prove to be an exciting and {I think} interesting campaign for all involved.
Since it is the closest thing to a proper Brown Water Navy campaign coin' down the river, I will probably be building something for it.
I've fortunately had the advantage of some previous hands-on scratching experience when it comes to the Mobile Riverine Force and it's flotilla of diiferent boats, and now I have the added advantage of some excellent photo evidence provided me by our own splendid Armorama member Mark {Thanks Mark }
It's also a good thing {for me} that the campaign itself doesn't actually start till April. That will give me time to maybe save up enough sheckles for the Italeri version of the LCM-3 instead of the Trumpeter version I originally began with last time. For those who may be interested in why, the Italeri version of the LCM-3 is more accurate than the Trumpeter version. These small discrepancies were originally caught by our good member jRatz some time ago {just wanted to give credit where it was due}.
Of course, all BWN subject matter aside, there are several excellent potentials arriving soon at your LHS that would fit this Campaign just dandy.......the Elco boat, the new Schnelleboot, etc, etc....

Tread.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy fellas,

Well, I'm glad to see the Military Small Craft Campaign starting to get 'under way'. I'm sure it will prove to be an exciting and {I think} interesting campaign for all involved.
Since it is the closest thing to a proper Brown Water Navy campaign coin' down the river, I will probably be building something for it.

Tread.

Hey Tread, bring it on, mate!
Glad to see you aboard with us, and I will welcome you to any group build here at MSW! (as long as you follow the rules and guidelines! )
I love your scratchbuild subjects Bro. . .and about this "Brown Water Navy" campaign, why not propose one here? It would be interesting to see if it would be a go, cuz I know that I'd be interested, mate! Whaddaya say?
~Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC
I’ve got one of revells 1/72 PT boats just waiting for this campaign to start.

Not sure if my other projects will cause me to have a late start or not yet. We’ll just need to wait and see.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:27 AM UTC
Ahoy all,

Well I just enlisted. I have had an Airfix "E-boat" for the longest of time in my
stash and this will give me an opportunety to finally build it.

Of course the S-7 class or the "E-boat" as the British called it, will need some corrective work as the kit is not quite accurate and lacks many deck details.

I have gathered pertinent info from several books and of course the site
Prinzeugen.com has great photos to help with the project.

It looks like this project will be less complex than the U-35 conversion!

PS: U-35 is moving along slowly but surely.....it will pick up some speed
now that the tower is complete.....photos this next week........Promise!

Cheers,
Joe
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 06:17 AM UTC
Howdy Gunny,

I genuinely appreciate your warm words of welcome This build should be a lot of fun for everyone involved, and maybe give those who usually model the 'big stuff' something somewhat different to experience.

I must admit tho', that at first I was a little unclear as to the meaning of your inclusion of the statement "...(as long as you follow the rules and guidelines! )..." But then, silly me, I went back and re-read the Campaign guidelines.............well, shiver me timbers! I didn't realize that the campaign was so narrow cast, to only include "PT-style" boats......my fault. I unwittingly assumed that a campaign entitled "Military Small Craft Campaign" would include by title definition, all military small water craft. I now understand your statement and it's intent.........my fauz pas Sir

Now, about your suggestion about proposing a Brown Water Navy Campaign. I also appreciate your suggestion in regards to this, but this has been attempted at least twice before, and with 'no joy'. So, I am hesitant to try for 3 strikes........but your enthusiasm for the idea is warmly appreciated.

to redneck: Glad you could join in on the fun to come! The PT boat has always been an interesting seabourne mount as far as I'm concerned. Just the idea of a ship that size, covering that much ocean, and coming up against such overwhelming enemy firepower has always tickled the 'awe' synapse in my brain. Please just remember to share your in-progress shots when you begin your project. And if you can, try to get into the 'personal' touch these brave men that crewed the PT boats would adorn their boats with....

to Grauwolf: An 'E' boat huh?.....very good choice. The history of these ships was colourful indeed. Not to mention some of the 'field' modifications that were employed by the crews.
As I think you are already aware, the Airfix offering of this ship is the 'weakest' of the kits out there. So your tending to the up-detailing of your kit will really bring out the valiant core of what these ships were like in real life. Can't wait to see your progress. And please remember to post all your in-progress shots so we can all live the build right along with you! ;-)

Tread.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hi Mark

Reporting in still on shore leave.

I am still in I have the Airfix E Boat lined up ready to go.

Regards

Sean
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 03:25 PM UTC
Thanks for all the support thus far, mates, this looks like it's going to be yet ANOTHER fantastic MSW campaign, now doesn't it?

Everyone sounds as if they have a sound plan and subject ready to go, make sure you use your down time wisely, gather lots of research material and reference photos as well!

Cheers,
~Gunny
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:03 PM UTC
Status from an ultra quiet one ... I'm still in. As recommended by Gunny and others, most likely my project will be a Revell S boat. No PT boat in my stash yet, I will get one in summer break and I'm sure I will abiding the rules...lessons learned...haha. It will be my 3rd boad/ship project. The CV-8 hornet is still waiting for paint job. Another one is brown water navy related, a PBR Mk II, still need a lot modification. Now the question is which one should I work on during the summer.

Best Regards,
Steven Lu.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 01:35 AM UTC
Howdy Vulcan20,

Allow me to welcome you to the Campaign O' "ultra quiet one" Glad to hear of your choice as well since it fits nice and snug within the Campaign parameters. The Revell 'S' boot is a dandy kit {IMHO}. Having worked with this kit, I can honestly say that it builds up nicely, and is fairly sizable in appearance. As with most things'Revell', it could benefit from the inclusion of PE rails and such. But the boat still looks great without.
Look forward to your in-progress pics

Tread.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 03:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Status from an ultra quiet one ... I'm still in. As recommended by Gunny and others, most likely my project will be a Revell S boat. No PT boat in my stash yet, I will get one in summer break and I'm sure I will abiding the rules...lessons learned...haha. It will be my 3rd boad/ship project. The CV-8 hornet is still waiting for paint job. Another one is brown water navy related, a PBR Mk II, still need a lot modification. Now the question is which one should I work on during the summer.

Best Regards,
Steven Lu.

Well hello there, Mr. Lu,
Glad to see that you're still patrolling these waters, mate!
Revells S-Boot rocks, and with the designated PE set added, TOTALLY rocks! Looking forward to seeing you in the campaign, my friend!
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hi Mark

Here is an actual shot of the Airfix E Boat poised on my bench ready for action:

I just love the box art myself classic Airfix circa. 1975.

Regards

Sean
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:54 PM UTC
Fantastic, Sean!
Very exciting, for sure, mate!
Thanks for sharing, just a short time til April!
~Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 09:40 PM UTC
38 Days and counting, mates, on to our next MSW campaign!

Don't lose sight of DDD2, which will end March 25, 2007, and The Leyte Gulf Campaign, steaming on til October 25, 2007!

26 entrants so far in the Military Small Craft Campaign, but room for a whole lot more! If you like PT-Boats, and want to join in with the camaraderie of building with the rest of us, why not sign up for this campaign? Just click on the banner at the end of this post to be directed to the official campaign sign-up page.

And for the younger modelers (16 and under) out there, pay attention, mates, because as stated in the campaign guidelines, in addition to your campaign ribbon, there is a special prize for the finest entry as well!

Keep Modeling,
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP