_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Workbench Lighting
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 07:56 PM UTC
Ahoy mates.
Workbench lighting is probably one of the most important things to a model builder. Growing up in and later working in my dad's sign shop, my dad always stressed the importance of having good, quality light to work by. I can remember him saying "How can you draw the pattern or paint that sign without being able to see it?" Lighting was as important to him as keeping the lettering brushes clean.

I've always tried to have the best light source that I could afford at my work station. Usually, that was an old drafting lamp that was my dad's and then later mine. Two small fluorescent bulbs, to me it was the best. When it finally went out, I began my search for a replacement. I've had the fluorescent magnifier lamp, and then I had a desktop Alvin florescent drafting lamp. I always chose fluorescents because they produce the least amount of shadows. Then, on a scale modeling forum, I heard reference to an Ott-Lite. My quest began.

By now, everyone is familiar with the Ott-Lite. A "full spectrum" light that gives true colors and an excellent work atmosphere. Ott-Lite is an outstanding product and I am by no means knocking it. The only drawback is that it is on the pricey side. Ok, it's down right expensive. I wish I could afford one. But, my wife would kill me if I came home with a $100.00 desk lamp. So, what are the alternatives, if any? In my many hours of research and after cutting through the advertising mumbo jumbo, I have found an inexpensive solution to "full spectrum lighting".

First, we need to understand the term "full spectrum lighting." The term full-spectrum was coined in the 1960s by photobiologist Dr. John Ott to describe electric light sources that simulate the visible and ultraviolet (UV) spectrum of natural light. The term full-spectrum is not a technical term, but rather a marketing term implying a smooth and continuous spectral power distribution without the spikes and troughs in radiant energy common with most discharge light sources (e.g., fluorescent and metal halide). Full-spectrum products are usually marketed as electric light sources that emulate natural daylight; the explicit or implicit message is that "natural" daylight is always better than "artificial" electric light. Some full-spectrum light sources are also marketed as emitting ultraviolet (UV) radiation, as well as visible light. Now, in my searching, I notice the term “emulate natural daylight” appearing quite often. I also remember seeing “daylight” or “sunlight” bulbs being advertised on television and in magazines. I asked myself what makes a daylight bulb a daylight bulb. This is what I found. The compact fluorescent light bulbs that are considered “daylight” bulbs all have color temperatures of 5,000 degrees Kelvin or higher, which means they will deliver a very white light. Most light bulbs have color temperatures from 2,700 to 3,000 degrees Kelvin, which tend to be characterized as "warm white" bulbs.

So, by now your asking yourself, is the point of all this and why is Kenny wasting my precious bench time? I know you are, that’s ok. The point is, while Ott-Lite is one of the best work lights out there, there is an inexpensive alternative out there that will let you obtain the same results with out busting the bank. The next time you are in the hardware store or the local Wal-Mart, go to where the fluorescent light bulbs are and look for daylight or sunlight bulbs. Remember, you are looking for a color temperatures of 5,000 degrees Kelvin or higher. You will be surprised to find that a screw-in compact fluorescent 25w sunlight bulb cost about $10. A 15w bulb is around $6 or $7, and a pair of 4’ fluorescent sunlight bulbs are $10. The 25w bulb will put out 150 watts of quality “sunlight” light; the 15w bulb emits 67 watts. Several months ago, I purchased a 25w sunlight bulb for my swing-arm lamp on my workbench. The true test came when my wife walked through my hobby room and thought that the light was coming through the window! I used this light as my task light and I installed a 4 foot shop light to light the entire workbench. I was so impressed with the quality of light, I bought another 25w and a couple 15w for my photo set up. Last night, I found 4’ sunlight bulbs for the shop light. I took the 25w out of the task light and am now using a 15w bulb.

So, what is the bottom line? Well, if you’re like me, and can’t afford an Ott-Lite, for $6 - $10 you can upgrade your task light to give the same quality light. If you have a fluorescent shop light in the room also, for an additional ten bucks, this will really light up your work space. Does this mean the end of Ott-Lite? No. They make a quality product and if you can afford one, I suggest you get one. But, if you’re like me, with a little imagination and a few bucks, you can have quality light and not have to get a dirty look from the spouse when she finds out that you have a $75 task light.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hi Kenny

True, very true! Interesting reading and a good scheme to have sunny days all year around!
Thanks for sharing

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 01:11 AM UTC
I just walk 5 feet out the back sliding glass door onto my porch for "free" sunlight. But I may look for one or two of those bulbs to put in the overhead light when I work at night.

One of the many advantages of being the sole occupant of the house. As I have no need of a dining room table, I removed it and set up my computer and workbench along the wall there. My computer area has a nice easy chair to lean back into when I am gaming.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 01:28 AM UTC
That's really very interesting what you said Kenny -maybe when setting a real workbench on my own and not some table corner like i currently have I will try and do your own way.
hey for the moment i must admit of actually owning an Ott-Lite! I wouldn't normally be abble to afford it, but I bought it at 40 bucks +postage from the US on E-bay.
The only problem with it is that it's a rather *small* one, very useful to paint figs but not so much for a diorama. So i will keep in mind your way of doing the things,
yep, mucho thanks for sharing
JB
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 05:07 AM UTC
All my at home work shop lights are Daylight bulbs. They also lessen eye strain, well at least for me they do.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 07:35 AM UTC
I follow Dave.

I have the 4' flour. fixtures all with Daylight bulbs. There's a Difference.. I have 2 more fixtures to convert (the ones over the Machines)
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 08:40 PM UTC
I use a desk lamp from the Daylight company. I bought it at AC Moore for about $50.00 with a discount coupon. Very similar to the Ott Light.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
Ahoy mates. I just purchased 3 of these for my department at work.

$29.99 from Office Depot. Full spectrum daylight bulb and magnifier.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 01:51 AM UTC
Allright Kenny. Great info and a much cheaper alternative to high priced goodies. Too many are willing to just go out and buy and pay for the expensive stuff. We poor folk have to seek alternative solutions.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 09:49 PM UTC
Home Depot has the same ones for about the same Price Just getting Daylight or GE eveal bulbs is a good start too
 _GOTOTOP