_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
KGV and the Prince of Wales
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:56 AM UTC
Ahoy mates. I plan on building all five of the capital ships from the hunt for the Bismarck. My question is do I use the PoW kit for both the PoW and the KGV? I'm building these in 1/700.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:00 PM UTC
My source is Battleships and Battlecruisers by Siegfried Breyer. He doesn't really mention too much different between KGV and POW. The only thing he really mentions is the KGV had an externally visible degaussing cable. If both kits have that cable then you'd have to remove it on the POW. If one kit has it and one doesn't then it seems it's easier to add it than to remove it, so I'd go with the POW. He also mentions how KGV had 48 40mm guns, compared to 32 for the POW, but doesn't say where KGV had guns that POW doesn't.

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 94 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 03:38 PM UTC
Have to admit that I'm more familiar with the PoW in its final incarnation than the KGV, but I'm willing to stick my neck out

To build a 1941-era KGV, you will definitely have to start with Tamiya's PoW as their KGV is of a much later appearance with the catapault track removed and the hangars converted to accomodation. One minor difference is that PoW was unique in having a single Bofors gun at the stern, so both it and its surrounding splinter screen wil have to go...

As for the 40mms, it appears that as built both had 4 octuple 40mm pom-poms mounted, with KGV getting a 5th set in December 1941. Instead of having guns mounted on the turret tops as PoW did by the time she was lost, both had URP mountings (rocket launchers).

This site has an as-built shot of the PoW which probably gives an idea of their original appearance (and boring grey camouflage)

PoW

This shot from the IWM photodatabase shows a ship identified as KGV with what appears to be a URP mounting on B turret and is therefore presumably an early shot, though not actually dated

Hope I'm not leading you astray

David
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the help guys. This has been an idea of mine for a few years and I'm just now getting to the point in which I can start it.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Checked my books and have come up with the following:

The original design had provided for thirty two 2pdrs in four multiple mounts. The first two ships completed as designed, plus a single 40mm in breastwork right aft on the quarterdeck in PoW only. KGV carried four and PoW three 20 tube rocket projectors, one each on B and Y turrets in both ships while KGV also carried an additional rocket launcher on her quarterdeck.

KGV
Rocket projectors removed 41-42 and replaced with multiple 2pdr on turrets.
Lantern radar screen on bridge tower between HA directors.
Type 279 radar aerial at each masthead.
External degaussing cable.
Square ports right aft.

PoW
Rocket projectors replaced by 2pdrs 1941.
Lantern screen on bridge tower.
Internal degaussing cable.
Round ports right aft.

Hope that helps Kenny

Edit: information from 'British Battleships 1919 - 1939' by R.A. Burt

Ciao
Luciano
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:21 AM UTC
Thanks Luciano. It looks like my next step is to get a PoW kit and then see what exactly needs to be modified.
 _GOTOTOP