_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Early 1900's style PE ship railing?
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 07:41 AM UTC
1st time posting on this section...I usually build armor and planes, but got a fancy for a ship or two. She's the Zvezda "Knyaz Suvorov" battleship and the Mini Hobby Models "USS Arizona", both in 1/350 scale. Love the trun of the century ships, but have a Tamiya 1/350 USS Missouri to build one day when I get good at ship building so I'm starting small and working my way up. Now for my question;
Where can I find railing for the russian ship or the Arizona?
Another question is what do you guys use to fill in around the barrels to look like the canvas blast bags{?} that seal them? I'd hate to have a gapping hole around the barrels. Thanks-
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1st time posting on this section...I usually build armor and planes, but got a fancy for a ship or two.

Ahoy, Bob,and Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!
Got an itch to build somethin' on the salty side of the modeling spectrum,eh? I myself try to mix up my modeling subjects, never limit myself to one genre, my friend, that's what keeps things fresh!

Quoted Text

She's the Zvezda "Knyaz Suvorov" battleship and the Mini Hobby Models "USS Arizona", both in 1/350 scale. Love the trun of the century ships, but have a Tamiya 1/350 USS Missouri to build one day when I get good at ship building so I'm starting small and working my way up. Now for my question; Where can I find railing for the russian ship or the Arizona?

Couple of good choices, mate. . .make sure you ask us lots of questions and post lots of progress pics to share along the way! We LOVE to talk ship modeling!

Quoted Text

Where can I find railing for the russian ship or the Arizona?

Ah, the million dollar question. . . you can get both at White Ensign Models, mate, follow these two links for more info!

"Knyaz Suvorov"

"Ol' Mo"

Quoted Text

Another question is what do you guys use to fill in around the barrels to look like the canvas blast bags{?} that seal them? I'd hate to have a gapping hole around the barrels. Thanks-

One of the best products to use is called Miliput, mate, available at craft stores, hobby stores, and online stores. . .you can mold the stuff into anything you want, and it takes paint readily

Hope I helped you in your new journey, my friend, don't be a stranger in these waters!
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 01:34 AM UTC
Tom's modelworks also makes a real nice brass set for the Arizona. I used it on mine yars ago. It has all the railings and real nice detailed parts like the swing booms, catapults and cranes as well as several other really nice parts. The Gold medal set has some extra added detail parts. The WEM gives you a lot, but if you are just entering this area, you may want to wait before you ivest a ot of money in one of those sets. You can the Tom's and WEM at Great Models webstore for around $20 versus $54 for the White Ensign set. I also think Gold MOdels made a set that runs around $30 or so. Seems I ecall Roll models selling GMM stuff. I know Trident does. If you can't find milliput you might try some white squadron putty to fill in your blast bagarea. I used some of that yesterday to work my 6 inch turrets on my Yamato.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 09:12 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input and the encouragement...I may need it. This is new waters for me...pun intended.

FWIW- my uncle Bob was an airplane mechanic on Big Mo so that model will get done right in memory of him.
waynec
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC
check out one of mike ashey's books on ship modeling from fine scale modeler. he shows different methods for doing blast bags.

getting back into ships after a long time. used to do tanks. i am starting the 1/350 emden and have 1/350 varyag, markgraf, and arizona in the queue as well as a wooden ship model.
 _GOTOTOP