_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
So there I was--
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:39 AM UTC
sitting here tonight relaxing, and about 7:30 the phone rings. I don't recognize the caller ID, and answered it anyway.
A voice on the other end asks if this is Dave OMeara, and right away I assume it's a tele-annoyer wanting to sell me something or put the arm on me for a donation for some joint that really never sees anything but 10 cents on the dollar you donate.

But NO-I'm wrong. (Imagine that!)
He asks me if I was in the Navy, so I say yes.
He asks me if I was on the JFK, so I say yes.
He asks me if I worked in 4MMR, so I say yes.

It turned out to be one of the guys I hung out with, up held Navy traditions to the fullest with - that's D-F-F- (and you'll have to use your imagination on figuring that one out) and haven't seen or talked to since he was flown off the ship back in 1971. He lives in Wisconsin, doing well, and we spent over two hours reminiscing old times. And we'll probably get together with a few other guys between Wisconsin and Joisy in the near future.

I'm glad I changed my mind about attending a meeting that I really didn't want to attend. (The injuried back was a real good excuse to get out of that!) :-)

Anyone else ever get a call out of the blue from an old shipmate you have seen or heard from in years?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone else ever get a call out of the blue from an old shipmate you have seen or heard from in years?

I'm sure glad your call was better than mine Dave. I get a call from my wife asking me if I know a "Miguel." I answered no. She said I had to listen to this message on our machine. When I got home I listened to it. Some guy was saying something to the effect of "Hi Rodger, I met you last night at the Boys Club and I was hoping we could get together and get to know each other better. " He really sounded very strange. I still wonder if it was a crank call from one of my modeling buddies, but I can tell you my wife did NOT think it funny.

Yours sounded like a pretty neat call. Glad you are able to link up with this guy.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hi Dave and Rodger

Actually I had one last year - and we ended up making a lunch-dinner (from 12:30 ->20:00) reunion of the Class of Naval Artillery 1986, after 20 years we joined the Navy
It was fun to see most of the guys (older and fatter) :-) and also to find out that one of us had already departed for the Big Sea in the Sky, because of health problems....
As for the ship crew reunion... nothing yet

It's fun to see old friends!!!!

Skipper
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:41 PM UTC
I have gotten several similar calls, but they always seem to be between 0100 and 0330 and the guys are usually a bit intoxicated. At first they are bothersome but as you said Dave...It is always nice to hear from old shipmates. I just pinned LDO Ensign bars on a young lad this past week in San Diego, who worked for me as an Fireman recruit on the USS Trenton, I hadn't seen him in about 9 years and he called me out of the blue to ask me if I would do it...
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:47 AM UTC
Dave,

Where in Wisconsin is he? You're always welcome to crash here if he's within driving distance... We've got a spare room...with clean sheets too...

Jeff

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:17 PM UTC
Oshkosh-by gosh!
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:14 PM UTC
45 minutes away by car...

drop me an email...

jherne -at- wi.rr.com

thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:54 AM UTC
Not a phone call, but an emai, just last week. I'm registered with Military.com with my old unit from Germany from back in 1972-1975. I got an email from a guy who at the time was a Sp4 (I was a 1LT), who used to be in my FO section and was my driver. He went on to become a Sergeant Major (E-9) in the Active Army, while I went on to become a Colonel in the Reserves. It was good hearing from him and getting caught up!

Tom
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 02:07 AM UTC
For US Navy Vets and Active duty ONLY

For USMC Vets and Active duty ONLY

_GOTOTOP