_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
need help !!
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
I picked up the Kangnam 1/400 th scale Bismarck at the hobby Lobby 1/2 off sale. This is my first model warship and I was quite excited about opening the box and starting. I was daunted when I opened the box and noticed a few things.... This is where I need some advice.

1) Aside from the CAUTION: Read all Instructions first stuff, All the instructions are in korean. (I can't read korean)
2) On the deck, the lines for the wood panels are raised. Should those be sanded down and inscribed ?
3) There are no guidelines or instructions for rigging the aerials.
4) There are no painting guidelines, that I can tell. They may be in korean, in the instructional text. I don't know #:-)

Any assistance would be so nice :-) Anyyhing you can tell me about this particular model, improvements I can make, sources, etc. Any help you can give can be used, as I said this is my first warship model, and I'm not sure where to start #:-)

Thanks a lot
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:18 AM UTC
1) cannot help you with the Korean.

2) Even on the Tamiya's the deck lines are raised. If you wish to sand them down and rescribe them, that is entirely up to you. I have seen them left alone, sanded down, and even completely replanked. Anyway that you do it, it will look good.

3) Get someone to get you a copy of the Tamiya instructions. They have a very good rigging diagram. It may also help with your current instructions problem, especially if it is a copy of the Tamya kit.

Good luck,

warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:49 PM UTC
I agree with Nimitz on the instructions Tamiya's are the best. If you need to know the colors for Painting her. Go to trident hobbies website and click on the paint sets link. Tamiya's name will come up and I believe they sell a Bismarck set. You dn't have to buy the set, but I will give you a referance of what colors are needed to get started.
I did the same thing to get started on my USS Missouri. #:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:25 PM UTC
Don't speak or read for that matter Korean, but you can probably figure out how to put it together from the diagrams. As to painting, if you can find the old Squadron book on the Kreigsmarine, it can give you several different paint schemes that were used on the Bismarck. Reference libraries are usally a hell of a lot better thn painting instructions on the model kit
 _GOTOTOP