_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Ask PeteV
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 02:16 AM UTC

I think this is acceptable for this forum, it is model related but.

Ask poor PeteV what happened to his lovely Vosper that he had nearly finished after about 18 months hard work.

All the best (and keeping my head down)

Vic
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 02:17 AM UTC
Some how I'm thinking something not nice happened.
PeteV
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 172 posts
Model Shipwrights: 162 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 02:38 AM UTC
Vic,

You will need to do more than just keep your B****Y head down, if I get just one clear shot at your stern.

I`m not vindictive but I have decided that the toilets need cleaning, now who can I detail that task too ????

Congratulations Vic you are now the PLO (Permanent Latrine Orderly)

I`ll Be Waiting at work tomorrow !!!

PeteV

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 02:46 AM UTC
... and the Vosper???
PeteV
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 03:47 AM UTC
The Vosper

Well, I will expand later but at this time all I will say is that unfortunately several months and a large number of hours have come to grief following my recent eye operation. That model is no longer part of my build plan being a total wreck.

grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 417 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 07:32 PM UTC
And the envelope please..........
PeteV
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2007 - 06:45 PM UTC
OK ,

Seeing as there appears to be a touch of schadenfreude regarding my Vosper MTB I will put you all in the picture.

About five weeks ago I had an operation to repair a detached retina, following the operation I was told I had to spend 45 minutes in every hour lying down on my right hand side for 14 days, you try doing that for a day to see how boring and painful that can be, you really look forward to the remaining 15 I will tell you.

Any way after that period was over I did not return to work as my vision for the next 14 days was like looking out of a wine glass filled with slightly dirty water, this effect reduced each day so at one stage I had vision from my left eye that was split, good at the top , dirty water in wine glass at the bottom.

At this time I was bored to death and really missing cutting plastic so as my wife was at work I stole myself up stair and was looking as best I could at several of my projects, the Vosper was the last I picked up and as I was peering out through the top halve of my eye I decided that I would be able to see better if I went nearer to the window.

As I walked towards the window the dirty water in wine glass effect came into play by hiding the turned up corner of a mat, I tripped and as I fell towards the window I put out my hands dropping the Vosper which was then crushed by my 16.5 stones as it became trapped between me the window sill, wall / floor (pick one, it hit all three).

If we scale the impact up I do not think that even a battle ship was designed to take that blow and plastic model Vosper certainly was not.

Such is life, that is one of the dangers of NOT listening to your wife who had told me to leave modelling alone until I could see properly out of both eyes, bless her she was right again

PeteV

grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 417 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2007 - 07:15 PM UTC
Pete,
Man, you've suffered a great deal.
Sorry to hear about your eye problem.
Can't imagine trying to suffer through 14 days of being immobilized like that.
Hope the vision is back to normal now.
As for the boat - rebuild it! It will be better the second time, no doubt.
Still a bummer aftre all that work.
As for "should have listened to the Wifey" - we've all been there before! But that's what being a guy is all about "Ask for directions - heck no!"
Hope you're doing better!
Best regards,
Gary
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2007 - 08:10 PM UTC
Ouch, that hurts, sorry to hear that Pete.. I agree with Gary, go and rebuild it -your former experience with this late Vosper will make you build it thrice faster and you will be at the same point in no time (almost..)

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2007 - 09:37 PM UTC
Just glad the Vosper is all that got hurt in that collesion. It would have been horrible if you had crashed through the window and sliced yourself up or slammed your head into the wall and redamaged your eye. The model can be be replaced. I had something happen similarily. I fainted crashed my head into a door then fell back hit my workbench with my ribs and my flinging am struck down a tank I aws working on. In the scheme o things a bump on the head brused ribs and well a repairable model (it was only at the road wheel stage). But I could have put my head through the glass door if I had fallen forward rather than backward.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2007 - 09:56 PM UTC
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but hopefully they are all behind you now. The main thing is that your eyesight comes back. If that happens then it will be all worth it.

Vic
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 03:23 PM UTC

Oi. What about some sympathy for me!!!!
I’ve been mopping the toilets since I started this thread.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 04:32 PM UTC
Man. That just sucks.
I am glad to hear that you're ok and didn’t do any serious damage to you self. I’ve learnt my lesson about working on models after medical work last year. (Luckily it was only a little cheap kit I hadn’t gotten to far on. Never build under the influence of strong painkillers,)
I’ld agree with the others and say rebuild it. Possibly take a break and finish some other projects first (but not until the sight comes back around.) Before restarting on it.

Vic I’m sorry to hear about your crappy time as well.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 08:49 PM UTC
Peter, I'm really sorry to hear about the eye problem,
and the loss of the model.

Vic- you missed a spot!
 _GOTOTOP