_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Help with Chokai
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 08:53 PM UTC
I've actually almost finished a ship model! What's next, the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series? Anyway I need help in choosing paint colors for her. It's an older Tamiya 1/700 kit, and the instructions are in Japanese. I'm sure that White Ensign has every color I need, but I really didn't want to pay any more money for paint right now. I've got most all of the Tamiya and Model Master acrylics. Any suggestions on a paint scheme for her? Ive an idea in mind for putting her in a dio recovering her seaplane alongside. I'm easy as far as time frame, so early or late war is fine.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:08 PM UTC
Rodger,

If you're doing pre 1944, she was Yokosuka gray. In 1944 she was painted Kure gray.

IJN naval colors

Later...Gator
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC
Wow, those are really dark. Almost the same color as the plastic of the kit. I guess I'll go with pre-1944. Tamiya deck tan for the decks. What areas of the deck would be the linoleum?
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 02:59 AM UTC
I'm not sure Rodger.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
For Dark gray I use MM Gunship grey as to the linoleum.......covered most of the main deck and is sort of a reddish brown color. You can probably get by using the MM German Armor Signalbraun . I don't use much of the Tamiya stiff, so I couldn't tell you where to go with that.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 01:23 PM UTC
Hi Rodger,

If the Chokai followed normal practice for IJN cruisers most of her deck would be linoleum. On the kits deck if there are rasied lines going across the deck from port to Stbd that indicates the banding used to surcure the linoleum down.

For the correct Tamiya colour they only do it as a spray and not as a jar, but I do believe that XF64 is a close match.

Hope thats of some help.

Ciao
Luciano
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rodger,

If the Chokai followed normal practice for IJN cruisers most of her deck would be linoleum. On the kits deck if there are rasied lines going across the deck from port to Stbd that indicates the banding used to surcure the linoleum down.

For the correct Tamiya colour they only do it as a spray and not as a jar, but I do believe that XF64 is a close match.

Hope thats of some help.

Ciao
Luciano

Yep, she's got the athwart ship lines like you describe. I was thinking Red Brown myself, glad to get it confirmed. She's going to be a lot more colorful than I thought, with a reddish deck and gray/blue sides.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll post some pics, if I can borrow my daughter's camera. That is once this ice storm has passed by and I can airbrush again.

_GOTOTOP