_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Looking for Ironclads
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:50 PM UTC
I am looking for some ironclad models. Any suggestions? How are the Verlinden resin models?
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 205 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC
Jim,
I hear you, Mate. Unfortunately, I have never seen the Verlinden Ironclads built up. Hopefully, we will get some feed back on your topic. And since we are in the Ironclad area, anyone know of any book with decent plans ? Granted, I'm just speaking of small scale (1/350), so they don't have to be super plans.
Just for something different. TIA........Semper Fi , Bruce
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 03:08 AM UTC
I've built the Verlinden USS Monitor. Awesome kit. I'm wanting to do the Virginia to go with it. Flagship Models has a Civil War series and Cottage Industries has a few kits too.

Later...Gator
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 03:33 AM UTC
Gator,
A question for you, Mate. The Verlinden Ironclads are 1/200th scale if I remember correctly, do you know how many they have ? They look like they could be extremely interesting builds. Think of it this way, a good jump start for Riverine II ?????
Appreciate any information, thanks..........................Bruce
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 04:29 AM UTC
Ahoy Bruce.

Verlinden has the CSS Hunley, USS Monitor, CSS Virginia, CSS Atlanta, CSS Nashville, CSS Palmetto State and USS Keokuk.

The Hunley is 1/32 scale.
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 04:48 AM UTC
Gator,
Once again, Thank Ye, Mate ! Obviously I will have to start hunting down suppliers and pricing. ohhhhhhh..........This could hurt ! But it could also be a most interesting collection.
Thanks again. Semper Fi .................................Bruce
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
There is a company here in Texas that did a whole slew of them. Sorry I can't remember the name They usually show up at the big Squadron fest show at the end of May (big help aren't I) but you could probably do a google search and come up with a few hits. I think they are priced a bit cheaper than Verlinden
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 06:05 AM UTC
Howdy fellas

Geez.......one of the modeling projects I started, and most regret not having finished is; my scratchbuilt attempt at a 1/96th scale Civil War Ironclad, the U.S.S. Choctaw........

Here's a pic of the U.S.S.Lafayette, an almost identical 'sister' ship....

Most of the Ironclad examples available out there are on the much smaller scales. The vast majority of which are used for wargaming and such. Again, most of the available hull designs are of the repetitive wedge-shaped versions, but with different names.....

Additionally, the company that our good Blaster76 refers to is, Lone Star Models. The only company that offers {IMO} decent scaled versions of these most interesting ships..........and ships I might add that were the original ships that sported the "Brown Water Navy " signet.

Tread.

oops......sorry, here's a couple of early-progress pics of my efforts......

This project's hull was almost 4-feet long! ;- b

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 06:37 AM UTC
That's an awesome project Tread. Looking good mate. Keep us posted.

Later...Gator
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi Gordon Alexander, Now this is a really great looking ship -looks like a SR71 Blackbird
I have been told that most plans for Civil War ironclads were destroyed and that the resources were really scarce -may I ask you where you found the plans for building such an impressive hull?
:-H
JB
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's an awesome project Tread. Looking good mate. Keep us posted.

Later...Gator

....thx for the good words Ken, but as I said, this is a project that never got finished, and the project itself is presently in Colorado whilst I on the other hand am presently in New Jersey
The project itself got much further than the pictures I posted would indicate, but sadly remains dead in the water {pardon the 'salty' pun}.

to Jean-Bernard:
You said..." Now this is a really great looking ship -looks like a SR71 Blackbird ..." It's really funny you say that, because the first time I posted these very photos {when I originally began the project} someone else said that very same thing!

You are also correct when you state that most plans for the early Ironclads were either lost or destroyed. This also applies to the TinClads and the 'Straw' boxes, or StrawClads as well. The only plans or schematics that are known to exist are generally simplistic one-views, or partial 'section' drawings...showing individual casemate details and such.
The only real "plans" you can get your hands on are the ever-popular Monitor & Merrimac {even that's a partial}.

As to you question about where I got my plans for my build well.........endless research bud! Actually, I was able to integrate a couple of photographs of the ship itself into a fairly comprehensive 3-D extrapolation {being very lucky in the fact that one of the three known photographs I used was a direct side-view }.
I was also most lucky to have gotten some valuable help from some entusiasts on one of the Yahoo newsgroups.

Regarding plans of these ships. Having done all of the work I just discribed above, I was actually drawing out a set of plans of the USS Choctaw for purely personal reasons {knowing that most people tend to flock to the more common hull designs}.
As is with the physical project, the drawing of the plans is stuck in the same ' limbo'.........

Thx for stopping by. And my apologies to AikinutNY if I bogarted his thread temporarily..........

Tread.
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 03:47 AM UTC
No, Treadhead, no problem. I am in the learning stage. Now I am wondering what differences there were between the CSS Tennessee and other ironclads. I wonder if I can convert on to look like it?

Any good references fom the library to request?

My wife suggested that I build some boats or something instead or tanks. I think she was looking for a sailing ship like the Bluenose or a frigate and not ironclads. Oh, well they are boats, Dear!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC
Ahoy Jim.

I did a google search for CSS Tennessee and found this photo...

CSS Tennessee

Google search

Later...Gator
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 04:16 PM UTC
Thanks Tread!
I say, it's a bit sad that you paused such a fantastic project
if one day you come up with good plans, please think about me !

and extra *sorry *for having also hijacked the thread

AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
Gator,
Thanks for the pictures! The CSS Tennesee fought against the whole squadron of wooden ships. Her steering chain to her rudder was shot away and as she circled the Union vehicles sniped any sailor that went out to repair it. No real damage was done to her, but Buchanan realized that it was a matter of time before he ran out of steam and would be dead in the water. The Union ships could ram her or pull up and board her at their pleasure.

I think that he proved his point that an ironclad was better that wooden ships. One of the Union ironclads struck a floating mine or "torpedo" and sank as the Union force pushed past the fort guarding the entrance to the bay. I don't think any Union ironclads were involved in the final battle.
rumbaugk
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 06:44 AM UTC
Tread, what a small world this turns out to be. I've been busy drawing up Choctaw too. I got a set of plans and set about redrawing them in Illustrator. When I was pretty much done with the top and side views, I got turned onto to a guy who said, nice try, but it's a little incorrect. I drew the front turrent as circular. He says it's oval like you show in the top pic of her. Where'd you find that one out? I've got the same photos that you do off the internet and was using them as reference. Please lemme know, I'm dying to find out your sources. thanks, Ken
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Jim.

I did a google search for CSS Tennessee and found this photo...

CSS Tennessee

Google search

Later...Gator

Is this a sister ship to the 'Arkansas'? I seem to remember a resin kit of this ironclad but can't remember maker or scale.
cheers!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 08:46 AM UTC
I don't think any of the Confederate ironclads, especially the Rams were sister ships. They were all individually built and oft-times in a river area. They just used the same basic "Dog-house" design. Revell I think did a Monitor and Merrimac (CSS Virginia to us Southerners)set a while back. I don't think the kits were in scale with each other. There are a few resin companies out there that produce quite a few kits, but with all suck limited production can be quite pricey.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tread, what a small world this turns out to be. I've been busy drawing up Choctaw too. I got a set of plans and set about redrawing them in Illustrator. When I was pretty much done with the top and side views, I got turned onto to a guy who said, nice try, but it's a little incorrect. I drew the front turrent as circular. He says it's oval like you show in the top pic of her. Where'd you find that one out? I've got the same photos that you do off the internet and was using them as reference. Please lemme know, I'm dying to find out your sources. thanks, Ken

Howdy rumbaugk,

....Man, you say it's a "small world"? On more than one level it is mate!

I have been away from this wonderful site for some time now, and just decided to take a peek 'about ' for the heck of it, and I was shocked to find this thread and your post in the 'latest posts' ....too funny.

Anyways. I am MOST glad to hear you are drawing up the Choctaw, especially since I have been unable to complete my attempt. ;-( I am completely amazed at the same time, as I thought I was one of the only people who would focus in this particular direction, plus focus on something other than the more popular hull designs......bully for you sir!

Here's another B&W era photo for you...

This is the "side view" I spoke of earlier. Took me quite a while to stumble across this photograph. It's not normally included with the usual historical photo evidence. At the left hand side of the photograph you can make out the elongated profile of the forward casemate.

And here is a computer render that might be of some help to you.....

Please note that, unlike common historical reference, the entire hull of the Choctaw was not made up of 'metal' cladding. For example, the deck was indeed made up of the remnants of the original wooden decking salvaged from the original 'donor' ship. The only "circular" structure was the command bridge, which is located just right of center (in the photograph), and left of center in the render. Please also notice the observation catwalks mounted atop both of the armoured sidewheel enclosures...including their respective stairs leading down to the lower roof of the crew/captains quarters.

I have more supporting info regarding the Choctaws construction if you or anyone else is interested.

hope these are of help....

warm regards,

Tread.
rumbaugk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
'tanks bunches for the pics, especially the computer one. what dou you draw in? the actual photo is kinda interesting when you compare it to another that is virtually the same thing, looks like it was taken by the same photographer, from the same location, just CHoctaw has moved a bit down stream - Ken
rumbaugk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 06:29 AM UTC
I'd also upload some pics of Choctaw model a guy in Germany built a few years ago, but not quite sure how to do it
Obiwan3
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 03:06 AM UTC
Flagship Models is redoing the line LoneStar Models was doing. Randy is adding some nice photoetch to go along with the resin ships. They're mostly 1/192 sval. I just purchased CSS Virginia. It's quite a blivet ( meaning it's big), but very nicely detailed. Needs the usual resin clean-up and some work with micro-sized drill to add the PE. He's releasing that whole line and has about a half dozen or so available now.
Devin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 04:16 AM UTC
For quick and clean builds you can't beat the Verlinden ironclads. There are some accuracy issues, however that need to be addressed: the Monitor has a late period conning tower but early period stacks, the Atlanta has some gun ports in the wrong place, and the Palmetto State is actually backwards (the bridge should be on the aft part of the ship).

The Flagship Models ironclads appear to be much more accurate, but from the photos I've seen the casting is not up to the Verlinden standard; but then again, few companies cast resin as well as Verlinden.

I'm currently building the Old Steam Navy USS Weehawken. A massive kit that could probably be built straight out of the box and get a good model, but I'm super-detailing her. Some shots on my website. I also have the Cottage Industries USS Keokuk, that looks like it'll be a fun build, but the hull is covered with raised rivets which is incorrect according to many historians I've spoken to (such a shame to sand all of that work off, I might just leave them).

-Devin
 _GOTOTOP