_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Curious tank fan
RichSharpe
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 112 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Well I'm usually in the armour section of Armorama, but I decided to check out the ship forum this afternoon.

I've always loved Maritime history and naval history, but I have not built a ship since I was 6 or 7. It was a Bismark, and at the time, I'm pretty sure my dad had built most of it Anyhow, I haven't seen many ship kits around at the hobby shops that I frequent, and was wondering what manufacturer, or perhaps even kit would be good for a beginner. I prefer WWI to WWII or perhaps late-18th-19th C. I suppose that most age of sail models are not plastic kits though, and would be something entirely new though.

Thanks for your help guys...
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
I have always heard that a good ship to begin with is the 1/350 Tamiya Fletcher class destroyer. You can usally find one for around $25 and it is a good build. If you are feeling adventurous you get get a set of photo-etch rails which will really make it stand out.

Good Luck,

RichSharpe
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice Nimitzfan.

I was actually wondering if there were any good German WWII pocket battleship kits out there. Perhaps a Admiral Graf Spee or Sheer?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:57 PM UTC
Not in plastic that I am awared of, I mean the graf Spee. but I am not sure if one of the Eastern European manufacturers.

I assume you are talking about full hull not waterline, here, right?
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 11:42 PM UTC
Can't really say about a Graf Spee Destroyer. Revell stil runs a small amount of 1/720 scale WWII Battleships for about 8 bucks a kit. They are old kits, but if just starting out they are inexpensive and maybe good for getting your feet wet. I have to agree with Nimitz though.The Fletcher is the one almost ever Ship Modler will tell you is the best kit for starting out with..
Hope this helps and Good Luck
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
Look for the Heller 1/400 kits. I think they did do a Graf Spee and it might be out of production. They do have Gneiseneau (sp?), Scharnhorst (sp?), and Sheer. Heller kits are not that bad either.

RichSharpe
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions guys...

I just had a preference for big gunned ships, but I was hoping to do a smaller pocket battleship instead of a full battleship. I'll broaden my horizons at my next visits to the hobby shops. I've limited myself only to the tank areas in the past

I have glanced over those ship areas in the past and have noticed that there are not many kits to begin with. I was not sure if it was just not popular in that store, or if there was not as much demand in general.
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
As far as a model goes, there won't be to many external differences between a pocket and regular battleship. Both would be pretty complicated first builds. If you are going to try something like that I would recommend one of the Tamiya 1/350 Battleships. They have very few if any fit problems...just a lot of parts.
RichSharpe
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:10 PM UTC
I've been looking around local hobby shops lately but I haven't been able to find much written up about these kits. I was wondering how Heller's 1/400 WWII German ships are. Besides having a better variety than say Tamiya, they also seem a bit smaller and cheaper.

How is the detail and fitting of these kits? Anyone?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 04:48 PM UTC
Italerie had put out a 700scale Graf Spee. Oh well. I don't know anything about the Heller kits except they are FRENCH and right now anthing French is on my not to do list. Spring the extra bucks and get the 350 Academy Bsmarck. Buy it from a discount house.
 _GOTOTOP