_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
USS Howard DDG-83
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hello All:

I am visiting here from Armorama. I don't know DDs from DDGs, but I will be on the USS Howard for 8 hours next month as she transits from Astoria, OR (the Pacific coast of US) to Portland, OR. I have been on museum ships before, and I think a DDG a few years ago when one was docked here in Portland, but this will be unique since she will be underway with 10 of us onboard during this little trip.

Anyway, if anybody here would like me to take specific photos be sure to let me know.

Bob
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 01:56 PM UTC
Ahoy Bob, and
Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!

A fine vessel for sure, the Howard is, and I would be very interested in a photo walk-around, if you would like to prepare one!

Basically, the same rule applies to a DDG that does with an AFV, as far as a good photo shoot goes!

Shoot me a pm when you get back if you have success, Bob!

Cheers,
~Gunny
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 04:34 AM UTC
Since I am spending so much time on this ship, is there a kit available of it's class?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since I am spending so much time on this ship, is there a kit available of it's class?

How much you wanna spend?
BAD Ship model kits has a full resin kit available,
click here, scroll down til kit #BSM-DAB, 1/4 of the page down...
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 06:11 AM UTC
and there's the cheapeast:
1:350 Dragon/DML USS ARLEIGH BURKE
1:700 Skywave's DDG-51 ARLEIGH BURKE

Since you have the reference photos, you can model the DDG-83 USS Howard (Arleigh Burke class)
If you want to go "super detailling" or just enhacing the models a bit there are PE sets available for both these models/scales

Hope this helps,
Skipper
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 07:39 AM UTC
Oh my!! $277 is quite a bit. I think something important or unique would have to happen on this little cruise for me to spend that kind of money. Maybe if I nudged my wife overboard and recorded the whole thing and then recreated it in a diorama. Then again maybe the US Navy would decide one less civilian on the ship would actually be a good thing.

I suppose I should look for the DML kit. Is it still around? Is it decent?m Not being a ship modeler, does anybody make crew in 1/350 scale? I have seen those PE crew and I think they add that little extra to ship models. Models of empty ships sailing along always annoys me a little.

Thanks for you help guys.

Bob
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 08:21 AM UTC
Robert

I think you can still find the DML model
And for 1/350 crew members you can use PE, white metal figurines or even plastic (like the ones I used in my ORP Kaszub model).
It's a question to see what it fits you, but IMHO, PE figures in 1/350 scale are really thin

Skipper
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:20 AM UTC
If they have round figures in that scale, then all the better. Cool. Thanks.

Bob
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 05:17 PM UTC
The Arleigh Burke has the PE set included. So you can get a good deal on it without spending a bunch of extra money for add-on stuff. I don't know where to find the 3d figures but I sure would like to know. If you can't find any, you can take thePE ones and put a bit of Elmer's type white glue on them to thicken them up.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:25 AM UTC
The white metal figurines are from Tom's Modelworks
The plastic ones are from WienerModelbau and from Preiser

Skipper
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:15 PM UTC
I used the resin ones from L'arsenal.

Plastic ones sound like they may be more economical. I'll have to chck that out.

Hey Skipper, do you have any links for the 1/350 plastic figures?
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 04:01 AM UTC
I can't get a break. My research has discovered there are three different Burke class ships. Two are available in kit form and the Howard is not one of them.

Dragon makes the Burke and the Momsen. The Burke does not have a helicopter hangar on the aft section but the Howard does. The Howard does not have Harpoons mounted externally aft of the stacks either. That would seem like a lot of work to make the Howard from the Burke.

The Momsen has the hangars but has some remote submarine bay on the starboards side, which moves a boat. Also, the stacks are different on the Momsen.

It seems that the Momsen would be the kit to get that would be the least work to make the Howard.

Here are a few of my pics of the Howard.

http://www.dragon-models.com/html/1023p1.htm

http://www.dragon-models.com/html/1022p1.htm

One of the more disappointing things about the kits is the lack of fidelity in the parts. They seem so clunky and out of scale. Check out the safety nets on the back of the Burke. Not even close. The boats seem like Lego toys and the crane... I have not found any PE at Eduard. Does Aber do anything? Where else should I look for PE?

Any thoughts you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 04:14 AM UTC
Burik,

Have you tried looking for PE at WEM (whiteensignmodels.com) GMM (goldmm.com) or Tom's modelworks (tomsmodelworks.com) I think they all sell some things for modern ships.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 - 07:54 AM UTC
Thanks Frank. There is a nice detail set available. I also found that Dragon plans on selling the Churchill, which is the same as the Howard, so I guess I need to be patient.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP