_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Help with Yamato rigging
Anti
Visit this Community
Harju, Estonia
KitMaker: 49 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 07:35 PM UTC
Hi
First I would like to apologize for not updating my build more frequently. I have been really busy at school and work so no time for modeling.

But my Yamato is limping to the finish line as you can see from the pics bellow.

Its in the stage where i need to start thinking about the rigging of the ship. The instructions that came with the ship are not very clear in that aspect. So i would be really grateful if you guys had any pics or a rigging chart for the Yamato.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 08:41 PM UTC
Assuming you have the Tamiya kit, on the side of the box is a pretty good rigging scheme. If you have access to Anatomy of a Ship: The Yamato then you probably have all you need. I did a very light rigging as I weary of that stuff and a little bit looks good, to much starts to look cluttered to me. I ran one from the front staff to the top of the superstructure with an off shoot running straight down to the little tripod on the secondary turret. The two lines between those posts that jutted out from the main superstructure to the left and right pieces of the main mast and finally from the center post of the mast to the rear stern flagstaff. (with again a piece going down to the secondary gun turret tripod. I added some cables to the crane as well. You might try for some blow-up pictures of the Tamiya kit that is built in an advertsement from a model company or on ebay

Critque of the job you have done on your kit. Pretty nice. You did a good job with the PE, but I don't think you went far enough with it. There are more railings in the superstructure and on all three main gun turrets. Again, that is something I picked up from drawings of anatomy of a ship and the purchase of the Lionroar turret detailing kit which had the railings and brass barrels (Got it on ebay for $5). Also, the grey you used is a wee bit too light. The Kure Naval grey used on her was much darker. I just finished a major backdating project of this kit which is why I'm being such a pain in the butt. Really, you did do a very nice job
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:02 PM UTC
Ahoy, Anti!
I secon Steve's advice, mate, go to Amazon, pick up the Yamato, Anatomy of a Ship Series, here, and you should have all you need...looks great, bro!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:41 PM UTC
Thanks for that link Mark. I saw the superdiscount price and the free shipping available and jumped all over that puppy. A friend copied and sent me the pages I needed to do my project, I can't awit to see what else is in the book as I am considering doing a mid war version of the Yamato with the other kit I have
Anti
Visit this Community
Harju, Estonia
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 09:15 PM UTC
I will try to get by with the box art and instructions. Thanks anyway. As for the book The shipping fee and taxes would not make it worthwhile.

I know that the color came out a little light but it was the closest i could get from my LHS as it carries only modelmaster and humbrol enamels.
I have decided that i am not going to change the ship anymore so not going to add the railings. It would only lengthen the build and would need too much reworking. Because of the long pause i am starting to loose interest in the ship and that isnīt good.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:07 PM UTC
I ordered the book and it should be here in a week or so. I'll look through it and if I can find some good rigging diagrams I might be able to scan a bit and send them to you in an email. The additional railwork really isn't that much. Take a look at my article that was just published today and if you enlarge some of the superstrcture pix you can see it is only one or two pieces. But, whatever you decide to do, what you have done so far really looks good and is worthy of display
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 02:06 AM UTC
Yamato I built a few years ago:

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi Mike

Excellent job there!
Can you give us a general view of the beast?

Cheers,
Skipper
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 02:43 AM UTC
Best one I have:

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 09:20 PM UTC
Now that looks like a scene right out of the classic "In Harm's Way". If you could fnd a wy to white out that wallpaper and get it white and a bit fuzzy I'ld swear it was the real thing. And that is some serios rigging. After I get my book in, I may revise what I did on my rigging a bit.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 03:58 AM UTC
Well the book came in last night and to my surprise there are no rigging
drawings a bunch of other stuff which would have been useful for my inital build and will definitely be useful for my 1943 version -conversion are there.
Anti
Visit this Community
Harju, Estonia
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 05:17 PM UTC
Thanks Mike for the pictures of your ship. They are a big help.
Steve its a shame that there are no rigging charts. But good luck with your next Yamato.
As for my own ship seeing these pics made me think that I should probably add rest of the railings.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hey all,
After looking at the pics all of you posted I have a question (remember I'm a ground pounder by training). The guide wires (for lack of a better word) that run down to the front and rear turret, they are attached to some sort of post or support, does that turn as the turret turns or is there some other way they keep the wires from getting ripped off when the turret turns?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:19 PM UTC
Not that I know a whole lot of rigging plans, but I have seen other schemes on the Yamato, so this might be one in controversy. The others I have seen have any lines going to the center of those tripods on the secondary gun turrests. I have seen a rigging scheme that has one line and another with multiple lines all going to the center, and of course Mikes which has two going to the ends of the cross piece. Which is correct? I ran one line btwn the center top of the superstructure....that little piece that sticks out just below the rangefinder/radar turret....to the jackstaff and dropped one line from it to the tripod. In the rear, I ran one line from the centerpiece of the tripod mast to thetop of the crane and dropped one line to the tripod attaching it to the center as well.
spector82
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
Excellent job on your Yamato, the last picture looks just like the real ship. I am working on the 1/700 version of the ship right now, hopefully it will come out half as nicely as yours has.
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 03:52 PM UTC
I just accidentally ran into this build:
http://www.bismarck-class.dk/shipmodels/model_reviews/japanese_models/reviewyamatonichimo200waldorf.html

Not sure how accurate it is, but it definetely has some impressive rigging.
 _GOTOTOP