_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
camo schemes for Fletchers
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
OK, I have Jeff Herne's FLetcher class chart in front of me. So what I am looking for is explanations for the following paint schemes:

MS 12 mod...............MS 21....................MS 22....................MS 31/2c......................MS 32/3d
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 08:14 AM UTC
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measures.htm
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:38 PM UTC
Thanks Mike perfect site for what I needed. IS WEM the only way to go with these colors or are there alternatives. I can figure out the grays, but Need an alternative to Deck blue and sea blue. I prefer enamel such as Model masters. Greys such as Neural, medium, and light seem to cover the other colors fairly close. Of course with as many ships as I have, I oughta just buy 4 or 5 tins of the deck blue. Does that stuff store well?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi Steve

I am a big fan of WEM Colourcoats - Although I don't have them for many years as some of my Humbrol Authentics (do you remember them?) I can say that they hold on very well
I would go for WEM - if I already didn't have them

Cheers,
Skipper
garthbender
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hey Steve,

Though you can totally mix and match ModelMaster paints to get the shades you need, WEM paints are totally awesome and will make life a whole lot easier. They lay down really nice and are accurate with regard to color and finish. I'm an enamel guy just like you and I swear by them.

Here's a link to a Fletcher painted with the WEM colors: http://www.ipms-css.org/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=2579

~ Garth
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hi Garth

Long time no see
Kamikaze Hit! is still featured here

What have you been doing shipmodel related?
Cheers,
Skipper
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 02:46 AM UTC
Colors are subjective. I always use model master non specular sea blue for deck blue and I lighten it for navy or sea blue (I can't remember the difference at the moment) I've never had anyone say "hey that's the wrong color blue" yet.

Mike
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 03:35 AM UTC
Thanks Mike;

It's just that WEM is so hard to find stateside. You have to order it, then it comes in those tiny tinlets . I can find and get at a discount the Model Masters stuff at local hobby shop I get more for less and quicker and no added on shipping fees.
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 05:25 AM UTC
Finding Colourcoats Stateside shouldn't be THAT hard. Meteor Productions carries virtually the entire line, as does Great Models webstore. AAA Hobby now has most of the line. And all the ship colors are available from Randy Short at shipcamouflage.com.

As for those tinlets, you'll find they'll store paint far, far longer than any jar. I've got 25-year-old Humbrols downstairs that are still fine, and 6-year-old Colourcoats that are as good as they day they were tinned.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 07:40 AM UTC
If you liked acrylics, like I do, the Poly Scale Miltary series is very good. They seem to match pretty good to me. Close enough for government work, as they say.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 08:52 AM UTC
If I am understanding you John...Great Models carries the paints IN STOCK - IN HOUSE. They don't get my order then turn around and order from you do they? That is my big complaint here. When I order something, I don't want to wait for them to then place an order someplace else. The reason I use MOdel Masters, is if I am in the middle of something and need a color....I can drive down the road for 20 minutes to the local hobby shop and have it in hand
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 03:47 AM UTC
All the vendors I mentioned regularly stock Colourcoats. That doesn't mean, however, that they might not be out of stock on one or more colors between their orders to us.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 07:19 AM UTC
Excellent.....Thank you
 _GOTOTOP