Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Introduce yourself
Usurpator
Visit this Community
Seine-et-Marne, France
KitMaker: 29 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hello from Paris and London!
I'm new here, I come from figure painting scratch-builds of warhammer buildings and converting WWII tank to Ork Bigatanka and such.
I'm back working on ships, the last I built was.... 40 years ago, I was a kid of course, but the Yamato I made was quite "clean" and I was so proud. I suffered lasting trauma as it ended up destroyed by my Mom and her vacuum cleaner with the handbrush attachment ("if it can't withstand standard dusting, it's not well built!").

I'm currently working on a s-100 (revell) diorama with all the PE and trimmings. In the cooler are an italeri s-100 and a U-boot VIIC (revell) with the inside room by CMK plus scratch built add ons by yours truly.
I considere I'm currently learning the art and skill for ships (and PE :-c ) so I take my time.
I'm going to annoy the hell out of you with all my questions, be warned

What else can I say...
Oh yeah.... did I mention I'm female? I hesitated a lot before posting this as I always get strange looks from other modellers (especially young ones, don't know why) when I go to conventions “no, I’m not accompanying my husband, he’s the one doing the accompanying, he’s here just to carry the boxes! He’s going to fall asleep soon unless he sees a synthesizer keyboard, so I brought one in my pocket, scratch-built 1:72 for this kind of occasion.”
But I'm sure there are other females here!!
In any case I'm glad to be on board, Cheerio, mateys!
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
Wellcome aboard - I´m looking forward to see your VIIC build!

Don´t be afraid to get strange looks, as we are a strange bunch as some of the pictures prove

Cheers/Jan
pimpdogbert
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:41 AM UTC
Hi all my name is Alex, I am 24 years old and have been modelling since I was nine. My first kit was a Tamiya 1/700th Shimakaze I used too much glue but I was hooked! I have a japanese harbor that I have been working on since the start and has been progressing at a slow teady pace.Sides ships and armor I paint my fare share of Warhammer 40k figs espically anything Dark Eldar! My current projects are the Hasegawa "Triple deck" Akagi and a Samek Nuremburg...

Well a lil bout myself I have lived in Chicago almost all my life sides sometime in the beautiful states of Colorado and Kentucky. I love anything that deals with history espically military. Helps if you have a father who teaches collage history clases and builds models. I also enjoy the most inappropriate music while modelling HEAVY METAL!!! I am looking foward too starting a band with historical themed lyrics in the near future. I also love D&D (NERDS UNITE!) gotta love it..... I hope I didnt rant too much..... WOW Sean your Chevy is cherry!!! Jeez!!! What are you doin too your engine? MORE POWER!?!?! Nice Mitsubishi Luciano! I bet that is fun in the mud. Nice too finally put a face too your posts Peter. Jim your wifes Moose is AWESOME!!!! Jan your lucky too have a type VII near you, but I got a Type VIIII in my backyard .

Cheers All it was nice too learn a lil more bout the people who post here!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 05:39 PM UTC
Welcome aboard, MCC and Alex! Nice to have another lady and some more new blood join us! I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys do! BTW, I'm also a Warhammer 40k fan. The Death Korps of Krieg (Forgeworld) are my guys, although I've been too busy to get any of them complete yet (after spending a fortune on them). Good to have you here!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
MCC and Alex, great to have y'all aboard!
pimpdogbert
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:18 PM UTC
Thanks Dade and Kenny .
Usurpator
Visit this Community
Seine-et-Marne, France
KitMaker: 29 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:30 PM UTC
Thanks everybody, it's great to be here!

And Kenny, that gator glue is FAB!

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:38 PM UTC
Thanks Guys.

Welcome aboard.

Cheers

Sean
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I am from everywhere and nowhere.

I was born in Seville (Spain) but went to Indonesia when I was two years old. It took me longer to start talking but when I did so I started talking spanish, indonesian and a few dialects from there.

I started going to the French Alliance School and later changed to the Spanish distance system with a teacher paid by my father’s company.

After living eight years in Indonesia we went back to Spain for two and a half years and went afterwards to Turkey for the next two years. In Turkey I studied at the George C. Marshall American High School at the USAF base at Ankara. I got my varsity letter playing at the tennis team.

We went back to Spain and I studied 11th and 12th grade at the Jesuit school at Seville. After finishing school I went to Madrid to study a double degree in Law and Business Administration at ICADE (Jesuit University).

I started working as a Financial Analyst at CDTI. Afterwards I studied a Master on International Business Administration at CECO and went to work to the Spanish Commercial Office at the Spanish Embassy at New Delhi (India).

After living one year at India I went back to Spain and three months later went to work to China as the Responsible of Project Finance and of the Finance and Administrative Are of an Spanish Company. There I met my fiancée and we will get married in the spring of next year. I stayed in China for one year and went back to Spain.

Right now I am working as a Project Finance and Risk Analyst and since I came back to Spain I almost went to work to the USA but we didn’t reach an economical agreement.

If things come up as I wish by May I will be back in India as a representative of another company.

My first kits were built when I was a kid living in Indonesia. I got serious with model building when I returned from Turkey and since I started University have come to almost a halt. All that I’ve been doing is getting a good library and stash. Hopefully I will be able to start building them soon.

My main interest is in the Nam period and especially in vehicles although lately I am feeling more inclined towards figurines. The project in which I am focussing now is in modelling a figure (a VC) by myself. I will use it to learn to sculpt and will try different materials in order to feel the difference and how they behave.

Have a nice day,
Angel
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
Hi everyone!

I'm Robert and have been building models since 1986. I know the exact year because the madness started after seeing TOPGUN and having Testor's release their then SUPERB F-14A. I've been hooked on naval avation modeling since then but thankfully its grip has loosen a bit to allow me to explore armor and, very recently, ships. You know, coming to think of it, it's so funny that I started with naval aviation and just now I'm looking at ships as actual modeling subjects (that's weird!!!)

Anyway, I am in the process of tackling my first ever boat (italeri's nice 1/35 LCVP) so I am hopeing for a long lasting relationship with this so very interesting area of modeling.

Nice to meet you all!

Rob
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 516 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hello, I am new to military model building. I have built numerous monster, figure and auto kits in the past but this is new to me.

Tony
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
Tony, welcome to ModelShipWrights! Plenty of good people and quality help/info in here...
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hello I have been with the boards for three years now,I enjoy 1/350 ships,1/48 aircraft and armour,and 1/35 armor.I built as a kid,then again from 1982-1993 and then again from 1999 to present.I am not serious modeller,but I do try new techniques,and ideas,and try to do my best without getting too aggrevated.This is me on Sanibel Island,Florida

vladski
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hi all

just joined the board as I am becoming more and more interested in naval modelling, ww2 specifically, and having viewed some excellent work on here and with some very knowledgeable posts, thought it would be a good place to start.

I can usually be found modelling 1/35 armour but feeling the need to mix it up a bit.
hillstar
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 10 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself to this nice forum. My name is Alex, coming from Germany and married since 7 month.

I build whatever I like, so not specially submarines or ships, I also build tanks and planes. At the moment I am working at a submarine diorama, placed in a sub-pen "La Pallice - France" with two submarines inside.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 07:40 PM UTC
Wellcome Alex, carefull with the submarines, they can be highly addictive ....

Cheers/Jan
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 10:52 PM UTC
I think it's fantastic, seeing new faces here in this thread!

Welcome to all of our FNG's!!

Seriously, though, a hearty welcome to all of the new names and faces that we've been seeing regularly, you won't find another site quite like MSW, mates, a great place to hang with the other salt's...
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:22 AM UTC
A big welcome to everyone!
kamikaze
Visit this Community
Romania
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hello everyone! A little late but anyway, I will introduce myself. I'm from Romania, 29 years old. I started with scratched ship models ( wood, plywood etc) in 1997. Since 2005 I've bought many plastic kits of all kinds and managed to finish some, but ships will remain my " first love". I've been watching this forum ( and all of kitmaker forums as well ) for a long time but only recently decided to " break the ice" and post , also enlisted in two campaigns on armorama. Gunny you're right, there's no other place like this forum. I really feel "wellcomed" and a part of the team. Good luck everyone with your projects!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello everyone! A little late but anyway, I will introduce myself. I'm from Romania, 29 years old. I started with scratched ship models ( wood, plywood etc) in 1997. Since 2005 I've bought many plastic kits of all kinds and managed to finish some, but ships will remain my " first love". I've been watching this forum ( and all of kitmaker forums as well ) for a long time but only recently decided to " break the ice" and post , also enlisted in two campaigns on armorama. Gunny you're right, there's no other place like this forum. I really feel "wellcomed" and a part of the team. Good luck everyone with your projects!

Aye, mate, better late than never!

Glad to have you on board with us!!

Cheers,
~Gunny
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 04:02 AM UTC
Gidday all. My name is Mark and I an from brisbane Australia. I have been modelling for about 35 Years and I am 47 Years Old. I usually build 700 and 350 Warships and usually always with P/E. I have on the Slipways at the moment a 700 Shinano, 450 Akagi and about to do a 350 HMS Hood with White Ensign P/E. Call me a glutton for punishment but it is something I really enjoy doing. I dabble in a bit of Armour also so call me mad, but hey....it's FUN......
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 06:18 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Mark!
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 06:34 AM UTC
Some 800 posts later, I'll add me to this list.

I'm Mark Doremus, a mechanical engineer. I've been building kits since the early '60's, that would make me old if I had actually grown up...
I'd post a picture of me, but that would break your monitors.
I mostly build wingy thingies, but I noticed the other day that I have a small number of ships in the stash from a 1/700 SSN up to a 1/187(?) Gato with a couple of carriers, 2 battleships, a crusiser, a squadron of destroyers and a PT-109 to boot. Maybe I'll get some of them built one of these days.

It's great to be here, thanks for having me onboard.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Model Shipwrights: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
Hello All,
I have been hanging around for a few months so I might as well let you all know me a little better.
I am 44 years old and a 23 year veteran of the NYPD. Some of you must have hard about us we are pretty popular. Currently I am a Lieutenant but I am on sick leave due to ankle reconstruction surgery that I had 2 weeks ago.
As a child I built, and blew up all different types of models manly cars and truck. But built what ever came from the Revel Model of the Month Club. Then as I got a little older I became obsessed with Aviation and switched to the wingy thingy. Then mom lost her job and all hobbies and sports came to an end so that I could work. Dropped out of the hobby completely around mid 1982.
Fast forward a few decades to June 2008 when I broke my leg and went on sick leave. The NYPD doesn't let you leave your house while you are on sick leave, so to fight off the boredom of siting around I started to built 1/35 scale, WWII Armor kits. I'm a WWII history buff so that's why I went that route. I did that for 5 weeks before they sent me back to work. The unfinished kits went down into the basement and sat on a shelf.
In February of this year I slipped on ice and re-injured the broken leg, guess 5 weeks wasn't enough time to heel properly. So back to sick leave and out came the old unfinished kits. Working on them I found this site, started reading the treads, and decided that model building was helping me relax. So I will continue to build after they put me back to work again. Since reading here and listening to all the good advice that guys give here my skills have improved greatly but not nearly as good as some of you guys here. But practice, practice, practice and listen to the advise and techniques here and I am improving.
Thanks for looking listening, HAPPY MODELING, especially on Percocet.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 06:36 PM UTC
Wellcome Sal - you don´t have to be injured to build models you know, else you are in for a painfull hobby if it takes hold

Cheers/Jan