Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Introduce yourself
terrybarrett
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

I'm a dyed in the wool armor modeler and recently had a chance to explore the USS Yorktown on a trip to Charleston, so I am taking the plunge!

Just ordered the Trumpeter 1/350 kit off eBay ($60 + $27 shipping from Japan, not too bad...) and the monstrous Pontos detail up kit, which was discounted pretty good at Sprue Brothers for $139. I am ordering a bottle of Gator's Grip for the 10 frets(!) of P/E, and got some fine monofilament/tie line for rigging. Hoping the stash of armor tools and supplies will cover most any predicament I find myself in! I have been reading several build logs and think I am prepared to start. If anyone knows of a good "beginner" guide, or has any tips/warnings I would be much obliged. Particularly around painting order. I plan on doing the 1945 splinter scheme fit and am concerned about the timing of painting versus installing all the tiny subassemblies... I have done several build logs over on armorama and may do one here, at the risk of getting laughed off the board for being such a newbie!

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Terry

Raleigh, NC
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hello Guys,

I have been here few days and look at all those cool work I completely missed this thread. My name is Mike Bhangu, I'm here in Sunny, Cool, Northern California and my passion is aviation thus my modeling desire, however, lately my modeling habits are changing/drifting and getting feet wet I suppose, thus the added collection of 3 aircraft carriers and a sub into the stash.

Looking over others post on this thread and it looks like its tradition to share ones pic. Well, I don't have any photo with a car in my back around to share. So...anyway, nice to meet you all.

Mike

amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hi,
I'm Andrew, come from UK, been an Aeroscale member for a while. I used to build ships up till 15 years ago when other interests popped up. Looking at this site has started the marine juices moving. I am primarily a scratch builder in ships but have 3 unfinished projects, two of which could be reasonably quick, an LCT4, and an LCG4 in 1/72 scale. The third will be a long ish job, an RN K-class submarine in 1/48 scale. I also have a part finished refit of my HMS Scarab in 1/48 scale. I still have 10 of the 14 ships I built between 1980 and 1999. Like other people I am amazed at the sophistication and range of the current market, and while I won't build many kits, I am atill on the lookout for parts, (2 twin 4" Destroyer mounts, Hunt class type, would be nice in 1/72 scale to fit the LCG.)
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:32 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Andrew,
the inhabitants here are very friendly, it's a nice site to reside on.
Cheers,
Julian
amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 04:42 AM UTC
Thanks, I have some wingy things to finish and a truck for the Airfix campaign, then I will have another look at the LCT4 again
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:48 PM UTC
Welcome to our New Guys here. Enjoy yourself and get stuck in. We are a friendly Bunch so feel at Home.....Cheers Mark
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:39 PM UTC
Ahoy Guys

Welcome aboard enjoy your time hanging out here.

Cheers

Sean
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hey guys. After too long of a break I'm back. New house, new studio. Same loving wife and son and a new service dog for the son. I'll post some photos of what I've been up to this weekend. Glad to see some familiar names still around.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 03:37 PM UTC
Kenny!......WELCOME BACK!

Cheers,
Joe
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 04:20 AM UTC
Welcome back Kenney!

--Karl
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hey Kenny

Your back!

Awesome news its made my day!

Cheers

Sean
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
Here are some photos of the family. For those of you that remember Ian, he's 10 now.

The pup in the photo is Ian's service dog Mac. We adopted him when he was 7 months old from the local shelter and did the basic obedience training. In January, he went to the trainer to get his service dog training. He is also a therapy dog.

We want Ian to have a mobility dog that can brace for Ian when he has a seizure. Mac is too small to do this, he's only 50 lbs at 3 1/2 years old. We don't know if he was the runt or malnourished. Anyway, we adopted this sable German Shepherd a couple of months ago. His name is Rommel and he will be a good 90-100lb dog. When Rommel takes over, Mac will switch to therapy dog at the local hospital.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 04:15 AM UTC
Kenny,

Welcome back!

Ian and Rommel will do well together! Mac, you will be loved, too.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 09:16 AM UTC
Ahoy Kenny

I remember Ian very well and with fondness.

Its great to get an update on his progress.

Cheers

Sean
ebergerud
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 297 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 - 11:37 AM UTC
Greetings all.

My birth certificate says Eric Bergerud. I live in Berkeley CA and St. Paul MN depending upon the month. I've spent a career successfully confusing college students on the mysteries of history. I also write about America's 20th century wars in the Pacific. (I can testify that being a military historian is of no help when modeling.)
I do a plane/AFV/ship cycle - that means 33% of my models are ships but they take over half my time - that should come as no surprise. All of my models are from the world wars.
Armorama and Aeroscale have been wonderful resources and I've learned a lot. I hope it will be the same here.

Best
Eric
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 01:58 AM UTC
Ahoy Eric

Welcome aboard.

Cheers

Sean
jesmith
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:25 AM UTC
I look in awe of the skills people have here and on all of the KitMaker Network sites. I especially like the positive responses. My daughter is now in the Army, an 88L. I would like to build something for her, she is assigned to a Runnymede class large landing craft or LCU 2000 class vessel and is due to PCS to Kuwait soon. Is there anyone that has this type of vessel in any scale.
Thank you
charlieBarley
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:22 AM UTC
greetings from darkest Suffolk,UK. I live beside a rather large USAFE base which narrows it down a bit. I love making warship model kits,currently building a 1/350 german Z-32 destroyer and the 1/700 Russian DD Varyag.

I have built the 1/200 Iowa & Sovremenny, far too many 1/350 kits and loads of 1/700's.

planned for 2016 is the Nimitz in 1/350 along with the Merit CV-6 Enterprise kit initially then hope Trumpeter bring one of the Baltimore's out in 1/350 damn quickly.
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:21 AM UTC
Welcome aboard, Alan. Please post some pics of you your work sometime and review our Campaign Builds (group builds) that are going on or currently recruiting to see if their are any subjects that appeal to you.
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hello Ken!

I'm new in to this site and currently reside in Atlanta Metro area. Born and raised in Los Angeles, I retired from an 8-5 job after 29 years and now work as Musician/Actor in the ATL.
My 1st model build was in 2012 and built Revell's 1:72 scale Gato sub. I'm now working on my 4th model of Revell's 1:96 scale USS Constitution and really enjoying it!
Love your classic Chevy - really clean looking. Here is a pic of our little beauty. She's a 1966 Oldsmobile 98 Hearse. Her plate reads BELATRX, from Harry Potter, and my wife picked it out. Here's to a good 2017!

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 06:30 AM UTC
Cool ride, Robert!

I like your Constitution, too; looks as though you are doing her up right.
Removed by original poster on 02/27/19 - 02:06:57 (GMT).
SpurnWater71
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 01:58 PM UTC
Newbie member, Kip, from Florida's Spacecoast area. Have been on board about two weeks, with 17 posts made. Am an avid modeler and amateur naval historian.

Currently a Senior Scientist working at defense contractor researching Quantum Communications, high capacity, low latency optical network architecture and network management systems. A very good gig but retirement beckons.

Former ET1 Nuc, USN - my 6.5 years of service were memorable, especially my assignment to the USS Eisenhower (CVN69) precom unit at Newport News Shipbuilding (I know, dating myself with that). Was a wonderful place to see how the real thing is put together - learned a great deal while there. Started (but regrettably did not finish) Ike's #2 reactor initial criticality. Ended up in the Navy after hurting my neck playing football at Columbia U. in NYC.

Began modeling in my early teens inspired by my late father's cruise books. Dad was a WWII Motor Machinist 1st, USN '42-'46, enlisting right after his December 1941 HS graduation. Have his service records and medals; appears to have circumnavigated the world almost twice - Dad was definitely salty! He was in the USS Ashland's and USS Little Rock's initial crew drafts - a goal is to model both in tribute to his service.

Left the Airfix 1/600 warship teenage modeling world during my Navy years, and the many moves and family raising that followed in the next several decades. Stuck with modeling in the form of 1/2400 miniatures. Have 2000 but no longer am actively collecting. I can not only display a full Pearl Harbor diorama but can also do a full Jutland short 1 AV.

On moving to Florida, picked up 1/350 scale modeling. and have acquired a considerable stash of all eras, types, and seven countries. Just getting ramped up on these.

Have some detailing special interests - ground tackle, rigging, aerials, and antennae. Paravanes & torpedo net/brail davits are good too.

Look forward to meeting everyone; am enjoying your posts and learning much, thanks!

Kip
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 11:19 PM UTC
Kip,

Welcome aboard.

Mark