Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Official "No Guns Allowed" Thread
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC
I like the raft..interesting (and different!) idea... look forward to more, thanks for sharing!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:00 AM UTC
AHOY, ALL "NO GUNS ALLOWED CAMPAIGN" ENTRANTS!!!

How are we all doing on our builds? With a little over three weeks left for this campaign, we still only have one finished model in our gallery...if you're finished building your entry, don't forget to upload your finished images to the proper gallery, for one, your campaign ribbon, and for two, the chance to win the "Best of" category and take home the special prize sponsored by Battlefleet Models (WELL worth it!)...so how about it...SOUND OFF, mates!!!!
Argggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 05:01 PM UTC
Rodger,

I've had Glencoe's "Coast Guard Rescue Boat" for years but have not had the chance to build it. I think I've always been put off by the amount of work it will need to make it presentable. I spent my first year out of college (1978-1979) working on a retired 1938 thirty-six foot motor surf boat out of Gloucester, Massachusetts. It was an incredible work horse and I loved it. I'm looking forward to the rest of your build and hope it will inspire me to get started on mine.

Brian
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Model Shipwrights: 228 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, Mark and James.

Work will continue this week and more updates will follow.
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 205 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 03:23 AM UTC
Gunny,
Well, with the deadline approaching extremely fast, I'm closing in on the finished product. I had originally wanted to do a 1/144th 44 ft USCG lifeboat, but time just would not allow it. So I rapidly changed to a 1/700th scale scratchbuild of the 87' "Barracuda Class" Cutter. Mine will be the CGC Tarpon, out of Savannah, Ga.
I'm hoping to get it mounted, and the sea finished on the base in time. It has been a fun build, nothing Great, but quite a bit of fun. Hope to get you photos within the next 2 weeks. Keep building Gang .......................Bruce
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 04:52 AM UTC
Well, the Ergenstrasse is still in dry dock. I don't know if she will be ready for the big finale.

Gator
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:47 PM UTC
hello Mark,
mine is all done except the riggings.Miss Mary is going to try to do them,if not i will declear it done with out the riggings.the photo's will be in the gallery by April 30.
cheers,
Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 01:00 PM UTC
Seems as if we may be in need of an extension to this campaign, eh mates? If I take it out another three weeks, would that be enough for you all to finish?
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 06:02 PM UTC
Gunny,
3 weeks would be plenty in my case. I still might be able to finish by the given time frame, but it will be very close. Regardless of which way you decide to go, it has been a fun build for me. Semper Fi Guys..........................Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny,
3 weeks would be plenty in my case. I still might be able to finish by the given time frame, but it will be very close. Regardless of which way you decide to go, it has been a fun build for me. Semper Fi Guys..........................Bruce

OK, mates, I've taken the liberty to ask this extension question in a seperate thread, so make your voice heard HERE!

Thanks,
~Gunny
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 07:51 PM UTC
Ohoej, shipmates

Here is my finished entry for the no guns allowed campaign. It is a small German WWII raft often used by forces on the Eastern front to ferry supplies across some of the many rivers and lakes in Russia. This one is one of the smallest. Some of the bigger ones could take heavy vehicles and even light tanks.

This one is an improvised raft used for smaller supply runs close to the front. Notice our German raft operator has managed to get three beers with him to the other side to share with his friends. He is even keeping them cold in water

The water came out alright although the resin has not dried entirely in some places. This means there is a "milky" look to it in 4-5 places around the front of the raft. In my opinion it looks quite okay for a river/lake with almost no waves. But maybe it should have been more brown and not so green. However, I still want to improve the water if possible. If anybody has any suggestions - please let me know. There is still time before the campaign ends.

I will load pictures in the gallery later in case I will continue to work on the water.

Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:49 AM UTC
Ahoy Crew !!!
Well, I managed to get off my butt and get my entry completed and photograhed. (If I do it right there will be a couple of shots attached ! ) . This is a scratchbuilt 1/700 scale 87' Cutter of the "Barracuda" Class. The interesting thing about these boats for me was the "Ribwell" aft. The Transom actually has a "Door" built in that lowers for lauch and recovery. These boats are the replacement for the classic 84 footers.

As you can see, my build leaves a little to be desired, but this is my first scratch in this "Tiny" scale. It will definitely take some getting used to. Regardless, my entry for the "No Guns Allowed" is completed. Thanks for a fun build, Gang ! See Ya................Bruce
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/19867/thumbs/CGC_Tarpon_023.jpg
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC

Well Gang, we'll try again for an image. This is the CGC Tarpon in 1/700th scale. (Or a close copy anyway ! ) Enjoy ..............................................Bruce

P.S. As you all can tell, I'm one of the 'Computer Challenged " !
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ohoej, shipmates

Here is my finished entry for the no guns allowed campaign. It is a small German WWII raft often used by forces on the Eastern front to ferry supplies across some of the many rivers and lakes in Russia. This one is one of the smallest. Some of the bigger ones could take heavy vehicles and even light tanks.

This one is an improvised raft used for smaller supply runs close to the front. Notice our German raft operator has managed to get three beers with him to the other side to share with his friends. He is even keeping them cold in water

The water came out alright although the resin has not dried entirely in some places. This means there is a "milky" look to it in 4-5 places around the front of the raft. In my opinion it looks quite okay for a river/lake with almost no waves. But maybe it should have been more brown and not so green. However, I still want to improve the water if possible. If anybody has any suggestions - please let me know. There is still time before the campaign ends.

I will load pictures in the gallery later in case I will continue to work on the water.

That is an interesting take on the Campaign theme. If I had time I was going to do the Dragon kit with the raft on the rubber rafts. I wonder who is going to enjoy those other two beers?

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder who is going to enjoy those other two beers?

Helmuth und Franz - Prost!

On a serious note I "misted" some dark green over portions of the water and added a couple of layers of clear resin. That actually improved the water effect a bit. I will take pictures and upload here and in the gallery.

Fun to participate - although I was a late comer to the campaign.
grayghost666
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 08:10 AM UTC
hello Jesper,
great build,thanks for the photo's and the interesting build for this campaign.
cheers,
Bruce
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:00 AM UTC
Thanks a lot. It was a joy to participate
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:58 AM UTC
Jesper, really neat, different, interestining (and well crafted) build. Thanks for sharng andcongrats! Cheers
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 07:28 PM UTC
Thanks, James. Appreciate it

I have experimented a little with the lighting and gotten some better shots shown below. I have also uploaded a few pictures to the gallery. I am calling this one done. On to the next project. Now were is that Charles F Adams cold war tin can......

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC
Three Days and counting, mates, 'til the official end of the MSW "No Guns Allowed" Campaign!

If you're still building, better put some steam into it, and if you're finished, make sure you have uploaded your images into the official NGA "Finished photo's" gallery for your ribbon award...

Keep Modeling!
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:29 AM UTC
hello Mark,
i am declaring the Whaler done.with Miss Mary illness and my bad hands,we can not get the riggings on.
if that means i do not get a ribbon,that is fine.i enjoyed the build.and that is what the campaigns are about,right.
cheers,
Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:45 PM UTC
Two Days and counting, mates, until the official close of the MSW "No Guns Allowed" Campaign!

Again, I must remind you, if you're still building for this campaign, get 'er done, and if you are done building, make sure that you have uploaded your images to the Official "Finished Photo's" Campaign gallery, for a chance at winning the sponsored prize from BattleFleet Models for the "Best-in-Show" award, to be determined by your vote, which is YOUR choice of an un-armed vessel kit from the company catalog, as well as receiving your campaign ribbon....

grayghost666
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 04:20 AM UTC
hello Mark,
the Whaler is in the gallery,i hope i put it in the right place.i tried yesterday to post it in the gallery,but it would not do it.
cheers,
Bruce
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hello Mark,
the Whaler is in the gallery,i hope i put it in the right place.i tried yesterday to post it in the gallery,but it would not do it.
cheers,
Bruce

She's there, mate!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:46 AM UTC
I believe I have uploaded in the right gallery, but when I wanted to doublecheck I could not find the gallery anymore. I could only find the gallery for in-progress shots. My raft is in the right gallery, right?