Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri 1/35 scale S-100 Schnellboot
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hello Arjan -

Thanks for the examples. On page 27 of Schnellboot in action the bottom photo shows a side view of the cabinet (behind the second guard). The doors look oversized, have handles and it almost looks like it is one big cabinet instead of two side-by-side. It also looks like the cabinets are sitting on blocks. Do you have any other pictures? Otherwise I'll get creative

Here is some of what I finished last weekend -

And with the locating tabs off, the bridge slides right in -

Now I have to decide if I want to modify the cabinets or start from scratch....

Regards,

Chris
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Chris,
Nothing wrong with being creative , I like the "dashboard" of your wheelhouse. The instruction decals look very impressive (where did you get them?) and so does the steering-wheel (what colours and technique did you use?). There is a pic (bottom left) on page 45 that clearly shows the l-shaped metal supports with which the lockers were secured to the platform (immediately behind the base of the striker rail, which as I pointed out before, should go on top of the platform as well).

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:17 AM UTC
Thanks Arjan - I'll go look tonight when I go home. The placards are from a spare Archer transfer sheet for the M4 high speed tractor. I painted the wheel by painting the base color (MM dunklegelb) followed by a coat of Citadel Miniatures Chestnut Ink. The Citadel line is for gaming figures - excellent paints, the silver shades are very easy to brush paint.

Chris
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 05:53 AM UTC
Beautiful work Chris, thought you had used oils for the wheel. The Citadel colours (games workshop here in Holland) are very handy to use. The "Chaos black"has a very nice semi gloss sheen and "rotting flesh" and "bleached bone" are handy colours as well (wish they could do something about the very bad names ).
The placards look really good on the panel and the voice pipes do the job. Are you going to leave the wheelhouse unglued to be able to see the work you did?
Julian
p.s Are you and Arjan big scale only modelers or do you dabble in different scales? I bought Revell's 1/144 Fletcher last weekend and am very impressed with the size and the possibilities.
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Julian,
Some 15 years ago I bought the Lindberg 1/125 Fletcher, at least that's what it is supposed to be . It's so awful I never finished it. I migh buy the Revell model but not for the time being. I wonder where you got yours and how much it is. I'm still beavering away at the S-Boot kit, I sprayed the underwater colour but the streak requires some adjustments because it is slightly too low at the bow. I also sprayed the pilothouse but I think the colour is still too dark so I will spray it in a lighter colour. At the moment I'm still working on the Kalotte. I removed all the rivets that shouldn't be there, engraved the two longitudinal lines and added some strips, new rivets and weldbeads. Fortunately the Archer weldbeads (AR 88017) are absolutely perfect for this job. Since I had already bought all the required surface detail sets I decided not to buy the Cammett Kalotte.

Groet,

Arjan
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 07:17 AM UTC
Huider modelbouw in Heerhugowaard Arjan, 71 euros.
You are really slicing and dicing the Italeri S-100. I'll get some photos of my progress up this week. I have fitted the Schatton barrels on the midships twin 20mm and they are very impressive, nice and crisp.
cheers,
Julian
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC
Hello Julian -

I am planning to secure the bridge because I will need to do some fill work around the top of the Karolette - but I know the detail is there in case the local proctologist comes by to visit .

This actually my 4th ship (1/35 PBR, 1/72 U-Boat Wintergarten conversion & a 1/72 fine mold kaiten) - I am primarily an armor / aircraft modeler. I am very interested in the Fletcher - I will be looking for one because I want to do my part in stimulating the world's economy...

Chris
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 06:11 AM UTC
Even a proctologist would have problems in that wheelhouse. It must have been rather unpleasant to say the least
World economy, yeah, well, don't talk about it.
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 03:36 AM UTC
Just a quick update:

More photos here:
http://cs.finescale.com/forums/2/1074541/ShowPost.aspx#1074541 " TARGET="_blank"> http://cs.finescale.com/forums/2/1074541/ShowPost.aspx#1074541

cheers,
Julian
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 07:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Brian. I'm curious what the Lionroar set will provide and how much it will be Great pics Julian, I like the Schatton barrels a lot. Some days ago I saw there is an Austrian manufacturer that offers much cheaper aftermarket barrels. I don't know if they are as good as the Schatton ones though.
http://www.jbmodel.eu/index.php/cPath/22/sort/2a/page/1

Cheers,

Arjan
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 03:02 PM UTC
I have been watching your build for a while and the work you have done is outstanding, i really like these recent pictures of the double A gun it's hard to tell it's a model.
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 06:34 PM UTC
Hi Arjan, thanks for the link, nice work here as well. Think I'll try the oerlikon barrel for my PT boat (like the recoil spring).
Thanks Robert, have been experimenting with the new Mig filters and the brown one didn't go matt on the duckboards underneath the twin 20mm so that does need a spray of matt varnish now
cheers,
Julian
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 03:46 AM UTC
You guys really AMAZE me with your skill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Garth
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:33 AM UTC
I have been working on some crewmembers for the wheelhouse because I plan to glue the "hat" on shortly. As far as I know the Italeri crewset will not contain a helmsman nor are there any ready-mades available at this point. The only Kriegsmarine figures are from U-model and these are mostly U-Boot captains, besides they are terribly expensive:
http://www.mijnwebwinkel.nl/winkel/scaleline/?menu=category&categoryID=278351
The problem with most German 1/35 Wehrmacht and SS stock figures is that they always have belts whereas Kriegsmarine sailors hardly ever wore any. I used a stock figure (wearing a sweater) from a Dragon Sturmgeschütz crew set and I converted Michael Wittman from Dragon's Tiger Aces set (degraded from Tigerace to helmsman). I removed his belt, shoulderstraps and ss- deathhead insignia and added some buttons. I took the arms from an Academy tankfigure (which was awful anyway). It should be clear that my painting and photo skills do not match Julian's

By the way, the sweater figure is supposed to be an Obermaat (his trouser-legs are not correct but these will be hidden from view anyway) and I'm still working on a radio-operator.

Cheers,

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 02:56 PM UTC
Lovely work Arjan! The figures will add a nice touch.

I spent time this afternoon putting in the additional voice pipes on the sides of the Karolette - on Ha-Ju - and modifying the photo etch duckboards. Laying plastic strip down over them to deepen the relief is a big improvement.

Chris
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 02:21 AM UTC
Thanks Brian. There is a review of the JB model Oerlikon barrel on PMMS. It is a bit too long apparently but that could be remedied by simply cutting a bit off . Personally I wouldn't mind doing this in view of its pricetag. The LR barrel apparently does have the correct dimensions:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/rb_model/rb35b77.html

Regards,

Arjan
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC
Sir ...

Those figures look great!

Garth
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 06:08 AM UTC
Arjan,
you have never seen one of my figures. That is one aspect of modeling that I am having great difficulty in mastering. My figures always end up looking like Frankenstein's monster, refugees from a bad zombie movie or boiled lobsters dressed as soldiers. You really don't want to see (and I am not advertising )
The LR Oerlikon looks great but as I said before: I build for fun, not museums so I will probably go for the Austrian budget Oerlikon barrel with free Bic biro spring instead.
Brian Domanski: yes please, I love looking at other forum member's builds, learn a lot that way.
Chris, are you re-doing all the duckboards or only the ones on the kalotte?
cheers,
Julian
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hello Julian -

I too am "figure challenged" (and I am not talking about my waistline ). Your lobster comment made me laugh!

Basically I added plastic strips to all of the photo etched duckboards - that way they match the ones that were injection molded. It took a short evening to get them all done; I'll try to get pictures up by the end of the week.

Chris
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 08:17 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing the photos Chris.
Figure painting is really a big problem, bought the Vallejo set of skin tones last weekend and arrived home with high hopes. The first victim of my torture by paints went into the garbage bin yesterday. I should be tried as a figure painting criminal
cheers,
Julian
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:43 PM UTC
Beautiful work all of you.

Kenny
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
I now have a "Full house". I 've just finished my radio-operator. I think it's the best of the three ( the single photo doesn't really do it justice because the angle makes him look awkward). He was constructed from parts of four different Dragon figures (again mostly from the Tiger Aces set). I now only wish to add a radio-set, a clock and a holstered (signal) pistol on the rear wall.

Arjan
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Model Shipwrights: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi Arjan,

Great effort on the figures.

Your Schnell is coming along nicely.
A big boat like that has to have figures and the project looks excellent so far.

Thanks
Michael