Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
ZVEZDA DREADNOUGHT + PONTOS & WEM
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
Thanks Keith,

Please feel free to ask away.

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 07:52 AM UTC
Before starting on the funnel stays there are few details that need to be added.

Firstly the ladders to the fore funnel platform.

Secondly a couple of cutters sit close in to the funnel, these are prepared to take etched thwarts. One boat has hat the moulded thwarts removed.

The two cutters are completed and added alonf with the after bridge support.

With all the bits and pieces that may get in the way of wayward stays in place the stays have been added from copper wire.

More soon

Si
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hi Simon,
Just stopped found your blog, fascinating !

Keep up the good work,

Cheers Kev
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi Kev,

Thanks for looking in and your support.

Will be taking a few days break as I am off up to Telford tomorrow for SMW 2013, but will be back on with this by the next weekend.

Si
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi Simon sorry to have missed you on Sunday at Telford called past your club stand a couple of times but your freind said you were away with your camera and may be some time maybe next year hope you enjoed the show lots of great builds there nice to see your builds in the flesh so to speak love the rigging and fine detail on all your ships hope your wallet is not moaning as much as mine is got plenty from WEM including the new PE set for the Belfast but will have to practice on some thing else first to get better.

All the Best Keith
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi Keith,

Likewise, sorry I was off skiving from the stand when you passed. My son wanted some pics of the Daleks, Marvin etc.

Wallet did get a bit of a dent, to the tune of the Combrig HMS Tiger in 1/350th, from WEM, but not too much else.

Was a good show, some impress ship builds and some good trade, although apart from WEM a little lacking on the ship side.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Keith,

Likewise, sorry I was off skiving from the stand when you passed. My son wanted some pics of the Daleks, Marvin etc.

Wallet did get a bit of a dent, to the tune of the Combrig HMS Tiger in 1/350th, from WEM, but not too much else.

Was a good show, some impress ship builds and some good trade, although apart from WEM a little lacking on the ship side.

Si

You know you are going to do a build log on that one!!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

Yes I am, but that will be for the "great war, dawning of a New age" campaign on Armorama. Got to make sure the ship modellers are represented.

Will be starting shortly, IPMS London, (Along with every other club I guess) is planning a WW1 tribute as part of their stand at Telford next year.

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 08:40 AM UTC
Back on the job with Dreadnought.

I rolled the aerial cage around a paintbrush, this started at the wide end a gradually moved down. (I did not anneal it, I had an issue with a mesh before, just got it dull red and it fell apart).

The cage, along with a cable reel, made using Pontos parts and a bit of plastic rod, also I have added the rangefinder to the secondary conning tower.

Realising I would need the after searchlights in place before fitting the after most stays on after funnel, so I decided to fit the other four boat deck searchlights at the same time.

here they are under the paintbrush. (along with the after superstructure and a bit of wire for the stays.)

I have to admit on fitting the finished searchlights on the admiral's walk I should have done that before fitting the stays on the forward funnel. I also managed in my clumsiness to knock off the rear bridge support, no worries it landed on the bench, not the time vortex that is my workroom floor.

Here is the current state of play.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Back on the job with Dreadnought.

I rolled the aerial cage around a paintbrush, this started at the wide end a gradually moved down. (I did not anneal it, I had an issue with a mesh before, just got it dull red and it fell apart).

The cage, along with a cable reel, made using Pontos parts and a bit of plastic rod, also I have added the rangefinder to the secondary conning tower.

Realising I would need the after searchlights in place before fitting the after most stays on after funnel, so I decided to fit the other four boat deck searchlights at the same time.

here they are under the paintbrush. (along with the after superstructure and a bit of wire for the stays.)

I have to admit on fitting the finished searchlights on the admiral's walk I should have done that before fitting the stays on the forward funnel. I also managed in my clumsiness to knock off the rear bridge support, no worries it landed on the bench, not the time vortex that is my workroom floor.

Here is the current state of play.

Si

I may be teaching my Grandmother how to suck eggs but you don't need to heat something up until it is red to anneal it, just a change of colour will do..
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 07:51 PM UTC
Try and get hold of a "Creme Brulé " or Chef's torch. Not very expensive and easier to work with than a lighter or a candle.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 09:34 PM UTC
Hi Warren,

Yes you are right, I must have been getting too enthusiastic in my old age, copper is dull red, brass is a slightly lower temp.

Hi Julian,

Thanks for the tip, I have one of those will try it out, one something solid first.

Appreciate the assist guys

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 09:42 PM UTC
I have one of those gas-stove lighters with the trigger etc. I find its flame is a good temp for this stuff.

Cheers
Warren
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 10:37 PM UTC
Very nicely done so far Si......Cheers Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 07:16 AM UTC
Thanks Warren, that is a good idea, a much more gentle flame, I will look at getting one of those, the chef's blow lamp can be a pit vicious.

Thanks for looking Mark, appreciate your support on this journey. great kit, great extras, having fun so far.

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 06:54 AM UTC
On with the bridge, firstly the barrels of the 12pdrs were replaced and they were fitted, the plan here was add the etched detail with the guns in place as they were reasonably accessible. I also fitted the etch to the top of the conning tower, and lost the centre bit in the process, so here is the replacement nearly finished.

The plan with fitting the etch worked, the conning tower finished and painted, also a main turret has been basically assembled to check the fit of a spare access ladder to the turret roof.

More soon

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC
On with the bridge supports, not complicated, just requires patience, the only issue is the v shaped piece, C30 that connects the rear frame to the conning tower. It is too long, to have frame upright it was to far aft for the ladder from the bridge to fit. A couple of trims, followed by a couple of swipes with a file and problem solved.

Finally the rest of the structure fitted.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC
Looking very nice Simon. I hope mine comes out half as well!

One thing I might pick you up on and it is a pet hate of mine, the guy wires for the funnels look way too thick to me. It is possible to get very fine copper wire on large spools through Ebay which when painted metallic grey or black looks much more authentic.

Feel free to tell me to shut up at anytime.

Keep at it mate

Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi Warren,

I am aware the stays are a bit heavy, but like many faults the camera tends to exaggerate it. I can live them when viewed with the Mk1 eyeball

I have played with finer wire, and will get the hang of it one day.

Meantime keep up the constructive criticism mate, it is always welcome.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 04:20 AM UTC
On with the bridge.

The wood deck has been fitted to the wheelhouse, along with the kit pedestal and wheel. I have added two engine telegraphs, on each side of the wheel and a revolution telegraph on the port side from suitable L'Arsenal resin bridge equipment. A Voice pipe was fabricated from brass rod for each station. Finally a small hatch has been fitted to the deck just to port of the helmsman's station. This represents the hatch leading to the conning tower.

The Front of the Wheelhouse front has been fitted, the chartroom / Captain's sea cabin has also been folded to shaped, both pieces have been glazed with Crystal clear.I used the WEM rather than Pontos pieces as these had more detail.

The wheelhouse roof / bridge deck given its wood and fitted, needs a tidy up with a hairy stick.

All 5 main turrets basically assembled and test fitted along with the wheelhouse, just to get a feel of what the old girl will look like.

More soon.

Si
Rugbyhead
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 12:11 PM UTC
Si, great work as always! I have these kits in my stash and eagarly await each and every update of yours. I will be very interested in how you approach the anti torpedo nets!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 08:43 PM UTC
Thanks Andrew,

Appreciate your comments

I will be interested in how I will tackle the nets as well. Never attempted extended nets before, so it is all new to me.

Will post my plans and thoughts when I get to that stage. might help others with how not to do it.

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 09:15 PM UTC
Will be good to see how you delpoy those nets, Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi Russell,

Nets will be one of the last jobs, I don't fancy working round the model on that big a base.

Got cage aerials to deal with first, but even that is a way off yet.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 08:08 AM UTC
(Simon contemplating up-coming jobs)