_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Vosper 363-378 Annapolis Yacht Yard
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 11:40 PM UTC
I've scratch built a smoke generator from bits of styrene and ballpoint pen parts :

I've got one pic showing the generator (probably of MTB 378) in use as a storage container. The crew apperently cut out the bottom of the container at some point and used it to store a tarpaulin or a canvas cover.

I couldn't resist buying David's translucent 3D Oerlikon set after all. This is what they look like with a coat of primer (I haven't fitted the shoulder rests and sights):

They look much better than the ones in light and strong plastic but the latter are much less vulnerable so I will fit these when I take my little Vosper out on the water. I will put magnets into the pedestals which should make exchanging them easy.

Next on my agenda are the whip antenna and standard radar mast. Apparently MTB 378 was originally equipped with radar type 291 U but I'm a bit puzzled by the drawings I found on the internet (from the allied coastal forces book) :

The first drawing shows the 3-bar grid in front of the mast but pics of MTB 378 seem to show that 1 bar of the 3 was actually on the other side of the mast, in other words it seems the mast was actually in between the grid bars and not behind it (I hope I'm making myself clear ).

Arjan
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 02:03 AM UTC
Arjan,

Nice work creating that smoke generator. Those Oerlikons look awesome, I am going to have to get me some.

Mark
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2018 - 03:19 AM UTC
Thanks Mark! I have constructed the radar array that was apparently common for later Vospers (one dipole behind the mast and two in front):

I plan to stick to this mast because the SO radar mast was probably fitted when hostilities had almost ceased. The Leghorn pics made in February 1945 still show the normal mast in use on MTB 378, those taken in May show the SO mast.

I ordered some resin 1/35 heads to replace the awful Italeri ones. The commander is ready for painting the others are still under construction :

Arjan

awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 12:00 AM UTC
Update on the figures, I will touch them up once more but they aren't going to get much better (quality of the figures is not great nor are my figure painting skills).

Arjan
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 10:34 AM UTC
Arjan,

Very nice work on the figures, I wish I had half of your talent.

Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 09:51 PM UTC
Arjan that is one lovely Build you have got here at the moment.....Cheers mark
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 10:45 PM UTC
I appreciate your kind words gentlemen. Although my Vosper project isn't quite finished yet I now wish to move on to another build. I have ordered my second 1/35 Italeri late PT kit to build a Ron 35 boat (based in England and active off the French coast). I think I will go for PT 515 because I love this pic with the Jeep on her foredeck (location probably Cherbourg or Portsmouth):

Regards,

Arjan

_GOTOTOP