_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Forgotten Sisters 2
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hey all,

This post is to get a feel for a revival of a previous campaign "The forgotten Sisters". Basically the campaign will be based on the not so famous Battleships. We've all heard about the famous ones like Bismarck, Arizona, Yamato, etc.... We'll let’s have a campaign that will show case the sister ships of the famous ones of the class.

The previous campaign was divided (by scale) into two subgroups but I wanted just one group and I was willing to included what ever scale you wanted to build in. I am not sure of what time constraints to put on this (3 months, 6 months, etc...) so I'll take suggestions. This is my first go at trying to get a campaign going so any ideas would be helpful.

I also have no idea how to make the campaign ribbon but there will be one at the completion of the campaign, maybe the awesome staff will guide me....

So let's speak up and be heard. I need at lest 10 peeps that are interested and I know we have plenty more than 10 peeps that love the big battle wagons of the sea. Post and be heard then we'll work out the bugs of the campaign.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC
I have run a campaign before, and it is fairly simple. You have to get at least 10 folks to do an initial signup; then submit it with the time frame you are looking at to the staff. In the old days that was through Armorama now I'm not sure. You usually do it for 6 months. Ships, well we usually run 9 to 12 months as there are quite a few of us who build the big ships . You need to state a purpose for the campaign, something simple like To encourage research, or to honor something...whatever. The you have to set up the rules, what is and is not accepted. Where and how to post pictures and as to design of a ribbon, just get together wth a few of the guys that make these banners and they'll help you. I did meow and someone designed a real cool ribbon for me with cats eyes in the middle of the ribbon.

Advice:

1. Don't limit scale
2. Don't limit it to just BB's
3. Don't try to get this off the ground before January as we are buried with campaigns right now
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 05:00 AM UTC
I'm in, mate!
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC
Blaster,

Thank you for the advice. I have also talked to gunny and gator and we are looking towards an "08" start so there is plenty of time for me to get the bugs worked out. So right now I'm sending out feelers for who may be interested.

Maybe we could expand it to more than the Battleships. I still want to keep with the main theme of " Forgotten Sisters".
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 05:58 AM UTC
Count me in Frank.

Ciao
Luciano
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:31 AM UTC
All the other classes of ships have multiple sister ships. My problem is I build 350 scale. I have the New Jersey, Yamato, and North Carolina. The Mass. is due out, but that is dedicated to making the Alabama. In 350 scale there really are no ships you can participate with except destroyers or the Liberty ship, or one of those Dragon GM destroyers or Cruisers. So by definition yu are now putting restrictoins on the campaign which might severely limit the participation. I was thinking of doing one of the sisters to the Yukikaze
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:06 PM UTC
I would echo Steve's suggestions. Put as few limits on as possible, so more people will join in, and certainly not until next year.

I wonder if the DML USS Pennsylvania will be out by then? If only they'd make her in 1/350.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:06 PM UTC
I'm in also.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hey all,

HMMMMMM where to start.... In my first post at the top I'm pretty sure I put what ever scale you wanted to build would be ok. If I have confused any one I am sorry but this campaign would be open to any scale put bold text here . The main thing I want to focus on is the sister ships of the more famous ones and with a suggestion I will included all the types of ships. I'm just feeling the thing out right now. If all the people that have posted is interested then we have 6 peeps already.
RickHeinbaugh
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 07:33 PM UTC
I'm in. I expect you'll provide a bit more guidance as the plan crystalizes.
Rick
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in. I expect you'll provide a bit more guidance as the plan crystalizes.
Rick

Definitely, mates, we will...this post by Frank is a preliminary just to see if we can expect enough participation to make this a go, as Campaign rules state that at least 10 participants must be signed on to make it an official MSW Campaign...further rules and regulations, etc., will be laid at a later date, as long as we have at least 10 mates willing to committ!

~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 07:05 AM UTC
Well I'm in , planning a Japanese Destroyer or Crusier (it should be out by then) in 350 scale I remember the first campaign, did the KGV as the Anson (350 scale of course)
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 01:29 AM UTC
Blaster,

Here is what I'll be building....

Trumpeter1/350 USS San Francisco CA-38 Heavy Cruiser, 1942

New kit, new campaign, can't go wrong.
RickHeinbaugh
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:29 AM UTC
So we are not limiting to battleships? That's good.

Which forgotten sister of San Francisco are you planning on?
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC
Rick,
Don't know right now what ship I'll end up making (more research and buying the kit needs to be done). But time will tell.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hey all,
Here is a list of people that have said "Heck ya!" to the campaign.

1.Wildspear(gunny do I count?)
2.Gunny
3.Littorio
4.Gator
5.RickHeinbaugh
6.Blaster

These are the people that said yes so we need 4 more and I can start chugging along on the rest of the stuff so we can have a great campaign.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all,
Here is a list of people that have said "Heck ya!" to the campaign.

1.Wildspear(gunny do I count?)
2.Gunny
3.Littorio
4.Gator
5.RickHeinbaugh
6.Blaster

These are the people that said yes so we need 4 more and I can start chugging along on the rest of the stuff so we can have a great campaign.

Ya sure do count, mate...I'll bet Skipper will be interested too...
~Gunny
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hey all,

As many of you know I am in no way an expert in the naval dept so I went a did some quick research and this is what I got;

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sister ship

A sister ship is a ship of the same class as, or of virtually identical design to, another ship. For instance, the U.S. warships USS Iowa, USS Wisconsin, USS New Jersey and USS Missouri are all sister ships, each being an Iowa-class battleship.

The most famous of sister ships would be the RMS Titanic, the RMS Olympic and the RMS Gigantic. The Gigantic was renamed HMHS Britannic after the Titanic tragedy. This story has long been questioned, but proof via original poster advertising has been found.

It's bad enough that I would have to do a search like this but what would be considered the more known of the class? Would it be the ship the class is named after (this is my guess) or would it be something else? If I use this guide line in the campaign it would simplify things a great deal but if we go by who is less famous...we'll that’s all in the perception of the person making the call, the media, and historians. Let me know what you think.

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's bad enough that I would have to do a search like this but what would be considered the more known of the class? Would it be the ship the class is named after (this is my guess) or would it be something else? If I use this guide line in the campaign it would simplify things a great deal but if we go by who is less famous...we'll that’s all in the perception of the person making the call, the media, and historians. Let me know what you think.

I'm game for this campaign. Some examples of famous and forgotten sisters. IMO, of course:

Famous/Forgotten
West Virgina/Colorado
Nagato/Mutsu
Prince of Wales/Howe
Warpsite/Malaya
Invincible/Indomitable
Lion/Princess Royal
Iron Duke/Marlborough
Arkansas/Wyoming

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 09:17 AM UTC
Echoing wht Martinn has done. You can really go to town with Destroyers and cruisers. The Kagero class (Yukikaze) had 18 ships; the Fletcher class (with round bridge) has a bunch and the New Orleans class (San Francisco ) had 7and lastly the Takao class had 4.

Me I'm rethinking my entry. Leaning towards the Tuscaloosa to go with my Bama. Now if we can get a Cleveland class in 350 I can do the Birmingham and Mobile and have the Confederate Navy ...BBBBWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 02:04 PM UTC
Don't forget about the 9 Independance class light carriers, all the Essex class and the Bogue class (for us carrier guys).

I'll be doing the Essex class Hornet in 1/700 scale.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 08:14 AM UTC
Hey all,

As many have stated this can become a campaign with loads of choices. It seems we have some interest in this so I will go ahead and make a proposal and turn it in (should have it completed tonight or tomorrow) and we'll see where it goes.

wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hey all,

I have taken the big step and submitted my proposal for my first campaign (just submitted today). I did put into place some limits on scale and the definition of a "Sister Ship" is. I did this so we wouldn't get a campaign with to many choices and end up foundering and also to cut down on what may or may not be famous.

I am by no means any kind of expert but I do take suggestions and ideas from others to heart. So if you have an idea that may give this campaign a needed tweaking then by all means let me know.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 02:03 AM UTC
Guy's question, would the Gneisenau count as a forgotten sister to the Scharnhorst?
Or Deutschland/Lutzow the forgotten sister of the Admiral Graf Spee and Admiral Scheer?

Ciao
Luciano
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 02:38 AM UTC
Scharnhorst is the sister ship of Gneisenau since Gneisenau is the name sake of the class. Deutschland is also the name sake of this class of battleships. The Admiral Graf Spee and the Admiral Scheer were sister ship to the Deutschland but were more known to some people. I changed the perameters of the campaign say we would build sister ships of the name sake. I did this because what maybe well known to us may not be to some one else. If we define a sister ship as the sisters of the ship the class is named after we have a more defined definition to go by.
 _GOTOTOP