Pier 51 - Coal Crane
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Another piece of the puzzle is under way. Not much to look at but the figure will give you an idea of the scale:

I've cut out the doorway which adds further options to the kit. I won't use the unbrella thingi and I may put the steps on the opposite side.

Cheers

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi Alan

Stupid question: Why use the building? Why not only the crane?

(Skipper strikes again!)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

It should help balance the dio a bit with the Lighthouse being the only structure, the Crane being further down the pier, will give a bit more hight to an otherwise flat area.

That's my thinking anyway and there was a crane in my original idea as the original concept was based on a coaling pier.

Did you find those 5 oily rags lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 09:01 AM UTC
Alan,

I'm amazed every time I look at your build. Hopefully you'll do a photo spread when every thing is said and done.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

Glad you're enjoying the build. 'When I get it Done' being the operative words . Still progress is being made slowly but surely.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

A little progress.

You know I was looking at this structure and thinking it might make an excellent gun platform!! Do Mig do a set of AA MGs that might suit Ah, but I have those 20mm that never got used, now there's a thought, - ha, I've been looking for a home for them but was saving one for the ELCO Boat if necessary.

Hmmmmmm, what say you all???

The crane could still get built but as Skipper suggested without the house, which in truth would be more in keeping with a British Pier, but I needed something to draw the eye away from the ighthouse down on and into the harbour.

Cheers

Al

Edit: back with another pic

I have all the original parts just needs put back together. I could add the big round base that comes with the gun or just floor mount it. With the railings all aorund might make an interesting addition.

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:14 AM UTC
I am very honoured (crane)
As for catching the observers eye... a guy about to fall over??
A snapshot of him getting out of balance.... just before the falling

Just an idea
Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

What do you thnk about the gun platform. I think it could work??

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Skipper,

What do you thnk about the gun platform. I think it could work??

Al

Hi Alan
I think that the gun platform is more a "German thing"... perhaps I am too much influenced by U-boot Bunkers and the like...
But as I said to you before, it's your call

Cheers,
Skipper
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

What I need are some pics of British Costal/Port defences to see if it's realistic. Would look pretty cool though

Lets see if the troops have any thougths.

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:52 AM UTC
looking good so far -I suppose you realize that by letting this door being open like that, it will add you several further days of interior decorating on that one
Your Dunkirk book really does look good too!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

looking good so far -I suppose you realize that by letting this door being open like that, it will add you several further days of interior decorating on that one
Your Dunkirk book really does look good too!

Hi jba,

Yip, but sure that's half the fun. You're building a few Naval guns - what do you think about the idea of converting the crane into an AA platform?

Cheers

Al
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:57 PM UTC
hmm let me think.
guns (except AT ones) are pretty cool to use in dios because they give some oblique lines that break the composition of a diorama. The problem is that I would have use a Bofors or that bigger British AA one (a 93? can't remember!) so they could have counterbalance at least partly the bulky shape of the Lighthouse.
the problem is that the crane's support is way too small, so you have to use a very light gun which this time seems to swim on the big platform. So no, I would stay with the crane which can also break the lines!
hope i am clear enough, I have troubles with my English, holidays are calling me
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:17 AM UTC
Hi jba,

yip, understand what you mean.

I still rather like the idea so what I will do is to build both and see what looks best.

I can carefully cut out the centre support ring for the crane build both pieces and then see what works best.

Trial and erros as always

Many thanks for the reply.

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 01:12 AM UTC
You know Alan, an Observation Corps station would look great on that building too. The Brits used them alot. Have all the gear so a couple of civic minded civilians could be doing their part for the war effort.

My two cents.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC
Hi Kenny,

i was thinking about the same for the top of the Lighthouse. Thanks for the thoughts. I have a couple of figures on order who might fit the bill either as Observers or Civilian Cops.

Cheere

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I've been asking around about this idea and Derek Barton kindly sent me these thoughts.

Al, I can't find anything in my references that show AA guns on elevated platforms. However, in the build up to Overlord a lot of extra AA defence was put in place around the southern ports. It is quite feasible that existing buildings were used as gun mounts especially if this improved the field of fire. If you want to put a 20mm gun on there, then go for it.

If you do some things to bear in mind are that the smaller guns were often dual purpose being both AA and Anti Shipping. There was the fear that German E Boats would raid harbours and so quick firing, small calibre guns were mounted as a defence along with searchlights. Also don't forget to include ammo lockers on the platform.

unquote

This would pretty much confirm what I was thinking that there must have been additional AA protection around the harbours. The 20mm is a bit too long but I'll investigate other options before I drop the idea.

I've been pondering how to add some weapons to the top of the lighthouse for some time, if not weapons then an observation point on the top roof, even if it's only a table and telephone and a Civil Defence Guy.

I'll look for small caliber weapons.

Cheers

AL
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 07:23 AM UTC
That's going to look nice Alan. If you could find a twin Lewis gun set up, that would be neat. A .50 cal mount may be what you're looking for though. Like the early water cooled AA mounts.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC
Alan, there are so many things you could use the building for. Harbormaster office. Tool / maintenance place. Putting a railing around the top of the building and adding some light AA guns like twin 50's or the like sounds likea real good plan. NOt all that familiar with how a ship dock works, but on a truckdock, we had an office that had lists of the trucks and cargos etc to be loaded or where the yard-dogs (small special trucks that jockeyed trailers) were to go.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi Steve and Kenny,

Thanks for the thoughts, I kinda liked the idea and didn't want to drop it with out good reason so I'll see what I can come up with. I was sure I had seen a Mig ot Tank kit with twin Maxim AA MGs somewhere on my travels but I can't track it down at the moment. Twin Brens would also do.

Re the 20mm I haven't given up on that either lol, lol. I was having a look at the board and on the top rear section is the area where the Fishermen's Hut goes. It's smaller than the area I mapped out for it and behind it was to be the only part of the rear wall that would be seen.

I recon with a slight adjustment I can still show the wall but opening on to a platform on which could sit the 20mm. The positioning would be right for Anti Aircraft and Anti Ship Defence and might make a rather dull corner slightly more interesting.

The final building use will probably depend on how the crane looks ground mounted as it's got to have a crane somewhere lol, lol. The idea of the building in the first place was to draw the eye down and into the harbour becuase the Lighthouse will totally dominate the whole structure so I need something else to add a bit of height and off set it. Now if there were houses on the Pier Road .....

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas.

Just working on the 20mm, a fire point for the Lighthouse and the crane. Never a dull moment lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:31 AM UTC
hi Guys,

A fire point for the building and started on the crane.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:07 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Some more progress pics

Al
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:25 AM UTC
Alan,

Where the hell are you going to keep this fantastic piece of work?

Are you making a large village or a small town?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alan,

Where the hell are you going to keep this fantastic piece of work?

Are you making a large village or a small town?

Hi Murdo,

Glad you're enjoying it.

Re the above probably under my Nan Red Project which is slightly bigger

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Al
Removed by original poster on 07/22/07 - 06:58:35 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP