_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Sultana build
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:19 AM UTC

Hi guys and gals this ongoing build will be of the sailing ship Sultana a Colonial Schooner built in 1767 and sold to the British in 1768. The kit is an all wood solid hull kit one of the smaller kits at about 17 inches long, the first picture is of the raw hull and just a few items in the box the second picture is from the box top and shows what the finished model should look like. I will try to update this weekly, i can't wait to get started. Any and all comments welcome.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:40 AM UTC
Excellent!! Really looking forward to following this build along, mate...
~Gunny
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 01:40 AM UTC
Thanks Mark it should be an interesting build, i chose this kit because of its size and the solid hull which should make for an easy build. This is an inexpensive kit but i will be making several changes to give better detail. I will also be using all hand tools and only a dremel power tool for the build to show it can be done without having a big wood shop to complete.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 07:50 AM UTC
Robert,

Great looking kit. Looks like to much artistic stuff for me but it is interesting.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:06 AM UTC
Thanks Frank, this kind of model isn't for everyone again i chose this kit because it will be an easy build for me and i am now in the process of shaping the hull this should only take a few days as it stands now its pretty close to the final shape, Model shipways did a good job on this kit. i hope to have an update in a few days.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 01:22 PM UTC
Very interesting Robert. I'll be watching closely. The wife has been suggesting I try a wooden ship.
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 04:51 PM UTC
I look forward to seeing you progress. I hope you will comment on the instructions, the changes you make and your methods.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 05:33 PM UTC
Kenny i am hopeing to draw more interest with this build so others will give these kits a try keep checking for my updates if you like what you see give one a try. Redshirt i can tell you that the instruction booklet is 24 pages long and seems to be well written and illustrated no problem there, also i will document all changes and upgrades to all kit parts with pics.
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:32 AM UTC

Hi Rob,

Good to catch up with you once again.
I must have missed the finished photos of your last ship, I need to check the forum more.

Looking forward to watching this one develop, always a fan of your work.

Have you still got your web site going? If so can you PM me or post the link, I lost it last time I had to format my PC. (again)

All the best

Vic

PS.
I'm not even going to mention that Clint Eastwood
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 01:47 PM UTC
Thanks Vic good to hear from you to, i didn't finish the San Martin but i have done a lot of work on her and will post an update soon. I will be posting an update on this build tonight check it out.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 02:08 PM UTC

Hear goes the next update on the Sultana. In the first pic you can see the sheet of templates behind the raw untouched Hull, in the second pic all the templates have been cut from the sheet and placed next to the Hull so you can see what areas on the hull need to be modified or left alone. in the last 2 pics you can see the Hull has been carved and sanded to shape and most important the bulwarks have all been thinned from 1/4 inch to 1/16 inch for a better scale appearence, i also squared up all the curved areas on the decks. in the third pic you can see the scratch built stern post and the metal figure head that still needs to be installed, in the last pic I removed the kit transome and replaced it with a scratch built transome and windows made from 2 1/32 inch basswood sheets, most of the work sofar has been done with an x-acto knife cured blade and a little with my Dremel and sanding drum . All comments welcome.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:37 PM UTC
Very Nice thus far, mate...love the flowing lines of the ship's hull, and your scratch stern post...what was the original kit transome like?
~Gunny
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 01:14 AM UTC
Thanks Mark the stem post still has to be sanded just a bit, in the kit they don't give you a transome so you have to look at the plans and take it from there, i still have to add window frames to the openings. The next update will show the stem, stern post and keel installed and i will show the holes drilled for the rudder and tiller.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC
That's very nice work Robert. I've been surfing the Model Expo site for a kit that I like. Maybe Mrs. Gator will get me one.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 04:04 AM UTC
Thanks Kenny, The model Expo site has a huge selection its a great site. The kit i have is a model shipways kit they have several sold hull kits at a good price.
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Model Shipwrights: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi Rob,

Taking shape nicely, you've got more patience than me.
How hard/soft is the wood?

All the best

Vic
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 02:21 AM UTC
Thans Vic, I will be posting a new update maybe later today. The hull is made of Bass wood its much harder than Balsa yet soft enough to carve with a sharp X-acto blade and it sands easy.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:20 AM UTC

My next update shows the stem, stem post, keel, stern post and rudder installed the rudder was scratch bult using the plans as a guide, i also installed the main whale, plank sheer and transome trim pieces. The kit comes with a sheet of decking thats already scored for the planks which has been installed with a few trim pieces. I painted below the main whale white and the trim black so i could get an idea of how it would look not to bad. In the forground of the first pic you can see the scratch built tiller next the kit supplied metal one i will be using the wood one i don't know if it's an improvement but wood is more accurate, this is the first major change i made to kit parts there will be others.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

I've been following this one with interest.

Who makes it? What scale is it? I know this may sound daft but could you put something in the picture e.g. a glue tube to give an example of size. I've heard of Bass wood but never actualy seen it before.

That looks like a lovely kit!
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:39 PM UTC
Thanks Murdo, The kit is a Model Shipways the scale is 1:64 total kit length 17 Inches, what you see in these last 2 pics is 11 inches long. I never put items in my pics for scale i find it distracting. I like Bass wood it seams easy to work with and most of the solid hull kits these days use it, some of the older or cheaper kits use Balsa i wouldn't touch one of those kits as Balsa is way to soft and easy to damage.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like Bass wood it seams easy to work with and most of the solid hull kits these days use it, some of the older or cheaper kits use Balsa i wouldn't touch one of those kits as Balsa is way to soft and easy to damage.

Thanks Robert.

I've been doing some scratch building and all I had available was Balsa which as you say is far too soft and easy to damage. Time to hunt down this Bass stuff.

Good luck with the build mate! It really looks like a very tempting kit!
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 07:08 AM UTC

I thought it was time for an update, the first pic shows that i stained the deck with English Oak and i drew all the breaks inbetween the boards and am in the process of drawing on the nail heads i did this with a sharp 6B pencil. The first pic also shows another modification i made to the kit parts i replaced all the metal hatches with wood framing and grates, the frames were made from scrap bass wood and all the corners were given a 45 degree miter cut and a chamfered edge. Another mod to the kit parts is shown in the second pic, the binnacle or that small wooden desk, i made some knobs from sheet plastic and painted them brass, i also made the bell from scrap bass wood and installed it on some black wire, the eye bolt holding the bell and the ones on the side of the desk were made from 26 guage copper wire painted black. Any and all comments welcome.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:13 PM UTC
That's wonderful Robert. I'm starting to get an envie to build one of these.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 02:53 PM UTC
Fantastic work, Robert!
She's going to be a beauty, for sure!
I think that you made the best choice in replacing the cast white metal hatches with a more warmer, wooden facsimile...keep the updates coming, mate, this will make for a very welcome build feature!
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 05:04 PM UTC
Thanks Kenny, that's what i am shooting for more interest in building these wonderful sailing ships, i hope to see one built by you soon. Thanks Mark, the metal parts were fine but i think it gives the ship a more realistic feel with the wood. The next update will feature replacement of the windlass near the bow that's a model in itself, the ladder going in the open hatch and the ships pumps in wood also. next update begining next week i hope.
 _GOTOTOP