_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Monday Morning Sit-Rep - 8/6
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:41 AM UTC
Good morning Model Shipwrights. It's a balmy 79 degrees here at news central with the heat index expected to hit 105. So drink lots of water and keep those kits inside.

Here's what is happening around the site:

Shaun Symonds (muddyfields) has been doing a bang up job with his PT 174. He's got the adaptor pattern on so surf on over and take a look.
PT 174

Mark R. Smith (Gunny) has a "first look" review up of BMK's new turned brass masts. This is a very nice product and a great addition to any project.
BMK Review

Sean Ford (Fordboy) post installments 108, 109 and 110 of his Great White Fleet report. Keep up the great work Sean!
Installment 108
Installment 109
Installment 110

And finally, Rui Matos (skipper) and Loo Chee Keong (CKLOO) bring us a photo report of the Selangor and Federal Territory Plastic Modeling Society (SFTPMS) of Malaysia debut event, Malaysian Naval Group Build. Please check out these beautiful models.
Group Build

And now it your turn. What did you do this weekend? Did you get any modeling time? Let us know how you spent your weekend.

~Gator
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 01:13 AM UTC
Nice rainy weekend in my part of the world....plenty of time to play in the shop~
redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC
No modeling for me, other than a quick look online for the Walke, Wilkinson and the Alfa Weapon. I have been busy in anticipation of my upcoming move. It looks like it will be in town (Denver), rather than back to western Washington. I sure miss the cool, moist salty air.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like it will be in town (Denver), rather than back to western Washington. I sure miss the cool, moist salty air.

Just keep telling yourself the mountains make up for it. If I could afford to live close to the ocean I'd prefer sea air also. I just never could afford it. Denver though is just another big ugly city to me. I much prefer smaller town life in the Springs.

I got a little bit done on The Sullivans, including a couple of PE pieces for the grills on the stack. It convinced me to order Kenny's Gator Glue, as I am really beginning to hate CE. Still haven't been able to take any pictures to add to my blog. I've got to borrow my daughters camera.

redshirt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 03:29 AM UTC
That’s the great thing about the Puget Sound area, you have the Cascades to the east and the Olympics to the west. Also, I don’t think it is that much more expensive when you consider the higher wages and Pugetropols gets rural ( but commutable) very quickly when you go east or west.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 03:45 AM UTC
Hi Kenny

Have been busy (the Malaysian event feature took about 8 hours work) and have been battling to make decent depth charges for Cassin
Fortunatly, Herr Burkhardt jumped in and gave (I hope!!!) a good help with his machinery

Cheers,
Skipper
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 04:03 AM UTC
My Friday and Saturday were spent getting school supplies for Lil' Gator. He'll start his developmental delay pre-k class on the 24th. Saturday afternoon was my nephew's 19th birthday. He'll be going in to the Navy as soon as he passes two classes that he failed his senior year. He took his ASVAB and scored so high that they offered the SEAL program (so much for a nice, safe ship). He'll have to pass an interview with two SEALs and then pass the SEAL Physical Screening Test twice before entering boot camp. This is just to qualify to go to BUD/S! He knows he has a tough road ahead of him and he may not make it to the SEALs. I told him that I will be proud no matter what he does in the Navy.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 04:35 AM UTC
Good luck to Lil' Gator in school and to your nephew in the Navy, Gator.

Took my son to a Model Boat Festival at the South Street Seaport (NYC) for a few hours on Saturday. Man, it was hot and humid! Mostly sailing ships, wooden models, but it was a nice diversion.

Managed to get a little more work done on my 1/700 Tamiya Gneisenau too:

The Illinois is coming along as well, next step is to start rigging her.
RickHeinbaugh
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
Funny you should mention this Puget Sound thing. We shot a whole day with a ferry trip over to the peninsula and a huge Navy Reserve picnic with my wife's unit. My six year old says the ferry ride was his favorite part.

And I continued chugging away on the radars and mast platforms for my AGR-15 USS Tracer.

Rick
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 04:42 AM UTC
Looking good the Gneisenau, Martin!
Good lucky for Lil'Gator and GatorCousin, Kenny

Skipper
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 06:42 AM UTC
Well worked on Saturday which is the norm for me, then for my birthday on Sunday I went back to the Historic Dockyard Chatham for another look around, see the walk arounds when Gunny gets time to do them. Still need to make another visit as there is just so much to see over 82 acres with building almost 400 years old.

Received the Fujimi Admiral Scheer as a gift and pick up a bottle of fine old 'Pusser's' Rum

No modelling though

Ciao
Luciano
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 06:56 AM UTC
Once again not a whole lot.
I got a little bit of cutting done on the PT boat and added PE raft holder thing to the DE. (Actually rigged it together from an unneeded part because the kit didn't have what I needed.)
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 07:38 AM UTC
Very nice Gneisenau Martin!

I forgot to mention that I did get a little bench time in Sunday. The local IPMS club is having a 1/48 Sherman group build and I worked on the hull and turret and started scratch building the calliope (sp?) rocket launcher. And, I got my Beach Head vehicles from Skywave on the way!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
That certainly is a BRIGHT red you used there Martinn. Hardly be it for me to dispute you, but shouldn't it be duller. I used a flat color in between red and maroon. Back in the old Humbrol days it was listed as British Crimson.

As for my efforts. Got up to finishing the wash stage on my dragon t-34/85. I was thrilled with the way it came out. gave it a nice dirty look as well as some hints at rust. with a lttle dry brushing I embellished a little of the slightly worn rusty look. (A very delicate process as I am not a big proponent of rusting everything up). So now I have to dullcoat the tank and work on finishing up the medic jeep then debating btwn the BR52 or the NC
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Nothing much watery, made a start on some cvilians for the pier.

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(...) then for my birthday on Sunday

Well, well
Happy Birthday Luciano!!!

Rui (aka skipper)
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:53 AM UTC
Happy Belated Birthday Luciano!

SmileyCentral.com
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 03:32 PM UTC
Happy B Day Luciano

Redshirt, I was thinking of my home, Southern California. To even smell the ocean, let alone live close to it, is BIG bucks. It's why I live in CO.

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That certainly is a BRIGHT red you used there Martinn. Hardly be it for me to dispute you, but shouldn't it be duller. I used a flat color in between red and maroon. Back in the old Humbrol days it was listed as British Crimson.

Probably! But I decided to use what was on hand (Xtracolour Insignia Red), instead of buying another tin of paint. Hopefully when the rigging and weather is finished and I dullcoat the model, the red will get toned down a bit.
 _GOTOTOP