_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
wood deck
WallyB
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 04:57 PM UTC
I am starting to build the Nagato 1/350 and have on order the after market wood deck for this model. Does anyone have any input on the installation of this itemas what type of glue should I use? something that does not have a water base so it will not warp ??? and how would you you finish it, with stain , sealer or what. Thanks Walter
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am starting to build the Nagato 1/350 and have on order the after market wood deck for this model. Does anyone have any input on the installation of this itemas what type of glue should I use? something that does not have a water base so it will not warp ??? and how would you you finish it, with stain , sealer or what. Thanks Walter

Ahoy, Walter,
Welcome to Model Shipwrights!

Here's a current "In Progress BLOG" here onsight, with a wooden deck installation shown in image form quite well, that I think may help you out, here...
WallyB
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 09:57 PM UTC
DEAR MARK, JUST WANT TO THANK YOU FOR TAKEING THE TIME TO REPLY YOU MUST BE VERY BUSY WITH ALL THE POSTINGS ON THIS WEB. BEST WALTER
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
No Problem, mate...

Our forums here are by far the friendliest, and we try to answer or direct you to the answer of specifics...we have a wide range of modelers here at any given time...great place, really it is, learning something new all the time!
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC
had that set in my hands today, it comes in several sections but the instructions are in japanese. HLJ says its a decal covered with a VERY thin wood veneer , but wether or not you apply it like a decal is up for grabs. it may have a coating of water activated glue on the back. the idea being that you wet the kit deck and push the wood deck down on it, the decal film should stop the wood from warping and yes i would definatly seal it arter instalation with a good wood sealer. its a very nice looking set and look much better than the kit plastic deck. if i find out anymore info. ill pass it along.
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:53 AM UTC
Never did one myself so I can’t give you any advice for that.
Just want to say if your going to seal it after its attached I would test a little sealer on a scrap of plastic first. Some wood sealers don’t react well to plastic.

Otherwise it would depend on the type of wood and the effect you’re after as to what to use for finishing it.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:47 AM UTC
I just sprayed my wood deck with clear acyrilic spray, one or two coats is just fine.
WallyB
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 05:11 PM UTC

John, Thanks for the info,I dont have it in my hands yet as it has only been shipped to me the other day but If you find out anything on how to use this item please let us know as it is made in many scales and for many kits, as I know that I, like you will not be able to read the instructions maybe someone has used this type of thing. Thinks Walter

WallyB
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 04:49 AM UTC
Have got the after market wood deck from jhl the other day it looks great and I know will add much to this model. Will let you know how it works out. Best To All Walter
 _GOTOTOP