General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
New Waterline Special from ModelArt
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hello Imazumi San

I will send you the copies.
I will discuss with Filipe which ones have priority and then copy and send them to you.
Please send me your address via PM or to my email: rui.matos at modelshipwrights.com

Thank you so much for your interest!
Rui

_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 08:41 AM UTC
Actually I don't have any particular priority. Only pointed out N13 because it's the one I have been using more lately due to my modelling projects. If the opportunity doesn't rise it's not a problem specially for Yubari given I have too much information to build her me thinks!!!
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 01:22 PM UTC

Hello Everyone:
I contacted Mr. Gruner at Pacific Front and he is getting copies of those Model Art Specials
translations printed up for sale. He has been quite busy, so the long delay. I sent them to
his attention almost two months ago. He has those posted on his website now.

In the meantime waiting for shipment of Model Art #29 on light cruisers and the 8 Navy
Yard.

My question to each of you is, do you have contacts in Germany, France, Italy, U.K., Spain,
Finland, Holland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and others that would be interested? Spread the word!

Imazumi Keith

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 02:51 PM UTC
Hello Imazumi San

I'll check what Bill has online and than cross with those "we" on this side of the pond want, copy and send them to you!
ありがとうございました

Rui
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 03:57 PM UTC

Komban-wa Matos-sama,
I see also you have a couple of Gakken's book on the Target-A and Kaiten submarines.
Are they history publications or also a modelling magazine? I am not familiar with that
series. Maybe you can give a hint.

I don't know if it is worth translating, but I cannot judge by the cover alone.

Thank you,
Imazumi Hiroshi
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hello Imazumi-San

These two Gakken books are mainly devoted to the Ko-Hyoteki versions and Kaiten, but also describe other midget and manned torpedoes. These two books were later condensed (and some info got lost) and published as:
"Complete Guide on IJN Midget Submarines and Manned Torpedoes"
ISBN 4-05-402339-8

Although modeling related, history, photos and plans, color diagrams, there's no mention to any models.

They were both very useful for my...

Accurate Armour's 1/35 Ko-Hyoteki Pearl Harbor Attack

Allen Cobcroft's (1 of 12 made) 1/35 Ko-Hyoteki Sidney Harbor Attack

Pacific Monograph/ 35th Division 1/35 Kaiten I

Rui

PS: I have already ordered from Bill Gruner your english translation of Model-Art #24. I will deal with the photocopy of the articles during this weekend and send them to you on Monday - I'll email you when.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 01:56 PM UTC
Hello Mr. Imazumi,

This is my list of periodicals that I'd like to have translated. I'll place an order with Pacific Front for Model Art #24, and will keep an eye out for future translations.

Navy Yard vol. 6,5,4

Model Art #18,26,27,28

Ships of the World, History of Japanese Battleships 2007/10, No.681

3D CG #24 Nagato

3D CG 18 Akagi

Frank

edit: Anybody with a Mac care to explain how you right click on an image to upload it to the thread?!?

thanks in advance,
Frank
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

edit: Anybody with a Mac care to explain how you right click on an image to upload it to the thread?!?

thanks in advance,
Frank

Hi Frank

When you are on the gallery, choose the image you want to display. When selected, you will have it in the gallery view, right?
Now press Crtl + Click and choose "Open image in new window / Tab".
A new window/tab will open, and then copy the url
Hope this helps,
Rui
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 12:04 AM UTC
Thanks Rui,

Here are the photos for the above posting.

wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 01:35 PM UTC

Hello Everyone:
If I should run across the Gakken books on the submarines, then I will order and hopefully
get them translated. Geez, a whole line of projects to perform, much more than I would
have imagined in the past several years.

By the way I have translated the Kaijin-Sha "History of Japanese Battleships" a few years ago
(yes a few years ago) and so ask Bill Gruner to print them up from his archives and send them
over.

As far as the 3d books, I have to order some and see what it's all about.

Since autumn is coming around, hopefully that will keep me occupied with these potential
translations.

Imazumi HIroshi

wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 02:50 PM UTC

Mr. Matos:
Those IJN submarines are very very nice and appear well done. I have built model kits
now-and-then, very sporadically, but recently I have been using them to create scenery,
so they are not display quality. Frankly I don't know if I ever will build another kit, it will be
a very long time.

As far as the Model Arts mentioned, I plan on doing #27, 28, and 29 as soon as they arrive
from Japan, concentrating only on the built kits. Any issue previous to #24 is questionable since I am not certain as to my current library. If need be, I will have to request clear photocopies to
be sent over to my office address.

Awaiting for my Navy Yard to arrive, very excited about the potential.

Regards,
Imazumi Hiroshi
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mr. Matos:
Those IJN submarines are very very nice and appear well done. I have built model kits
now-and-then, very sporadically, but recently I have been using them to create scenery,
so they are not display quality. Frankly I don't know if I ever will build another kit, it will be
a very long time.

As far as the Model Arts mentioned, I plan on doing #27, 28, and 29 as soon as they arrive
from Japan, concentrating only on the built kits. Any issue previous to #24 is questionable since I am not certain as to my current library. If need be, I will have to request clear photocopies to
be sent over to my office address.

Awaiting for my Navy Yard to arrive, very excited about the potential.

Regards,
Imazumi Hiroshi

Hello Imazumi-San

Well you should make some models, with no rush, it's great as a stress relief (or not), but always a great feeling of accomplished task when you finish another project!

As for the translations, I'll keep an eye on Bill Gruner's offer. If you need any titles, please let me know and I can borrow or copy some of them to you - just ask!
And talking about translations, I am in for the Akagi 3-D book (also in my library!)

Thank you,
Rui

wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 12:49 PM UTC

Hello Gentlemen:
I just placed an order for the 3d magazines on Akagi, Nagato, and the Yamato series
( I can't believe how many issues they have on Yamato alone!). Hopefully the order will
be fulfilled later and so I can make some assessments. As said before I have never
seen them before so I won't guess as to the contents. I like surprises!!!

Since I build models and use them for scenery, maybe in a few weeks will do one of a
IJN vessel. I guess the more correct term is computer wallpapers/backgrounds. Unique
but truly fun for me.

Regards
Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 02:21 PM UTC

Everyone:
I just received my initial batch of Navy Yard, and it's got more articles than Model Art, but also
much smaller print !!! So I have to scan in the pages and do my translations from those images.
It is okay, because I have an expensive program that helps me look up certain words. Plus
got my shipment of Model Art #29 which I have to computer archive.

So, it's onward to more projects! Hope each one of you will find the results satisfying when
they become available.

Regards,
Imazumi Hiroshi

wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 11:57 AM UTC

My friends:
I have translated a section of Navy Yard #4: the article on Junyo (scratch built)

4. Creating the Hull

The main materials used for the full scratch building were plastic sheets and rods from Evergreen. The quality is unusually soft so it is easy to handle that is why it is my favorite. However since it is soft it is also easy to distort. Because of this the hull bottom part from the Tamiya kit was used for the creation of the hull, it was a countermeasure to prevent distortion. However since the length of the hull varied from the materials I have, it was extended approximately 6 mm. Also I conducted re-examination of the hull line at the same time. If I conduct this by using the kit in the operation “How can I extend each section? Also, how could it match consistently overall?” Which were the issues I had to face. The scratch built hull since it was created after the sides of the hull (which is usual) so it is not necessary to worry about any problems. This type can be said to be a good point. Reference materials are also published but, since it is okay to use the Tamiya kit hull as the solid drawing, the creation of the hangar partitions was made by referring to the kit.

Give me more time!

Imazumi Hirosih
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:26 PM UTC
Very clear translation Mr. Imazumi. I look forward to purchasing your translations.

Frank
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 06:56 AM UTC

Greetings again,
I have conducted experiments (yes) and found the best suited scanner to scan in the
text from Navy Yard to my computer program. The magazine is similar to the Model
Art but the Japanese text is smaller so I had to resort to finding out which method is
'superior', copiers, scanners, etc. Well, the $200 scanner works just about perfect.

Hopefully will get number 4 done in a few weeks, then maybe another Model Art, then
aircrafts, then,........yawn!!!!! Christmas is coming soon!!!! So all the good modelers will
get another surprise.......

Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 03:56 PM UTC

The cat's is out of the bag!

If you can read this, thank Santa Claus!

Navy Yard Number 4-

Scratch Built IJN Carrier JUNYO

4. Creating the Hull

The main materials used for the full scratch building were plastic sheets and rods from Evergreen. The quality is unusually soft so it is easy to handle that is why it is my favorite. However since it is soft it is also easy to distort. Because of this the hull bottom part from the Tamiya kit was used for the creation of the hull, it was a countermeasure to prevent distortion. However since the length of the hull varied from the materials I have, it was extended approximately 6 mm. Also I conducted re-examination of the hull line at the same time. If I conduct this operation by using the kit, the issues I had to face “How can I extend each section? Also, how could it match consistently overall?”. Since the scratch built hull was created after the sides of the hull (which is usual) it is not necessary to worry about any problems. This type can be said to be a good point. Reference materials are also published but, since it is okay to use the Tamiya kit hull as the solid drawing, the creation of the hangar partitions was made by referring to the kit.

5. Creating the Sponsons and others on both sides

This section with the etched machine guns that were installed later on, it became the point of which how could it be finished up without any sense of discomfort? The creation was conducted by 0.25 mm thick plastic sheets. It was a case of using the kit but you should take note of the thickness of the machine gun sponsons. The part being close to 1 mm thick is the original cause the gap between the flight deck and sponsons would become narrow, giving a sense of horrible balance. As a solution for this section, the sponsons were created by 0.25 mm plastic sheets, the thickness of the sponsons themselves that was attached to the lower surface of the gutter attached to the hull going from 1 mm to 0.25 mm lowered the position for attaching the machine guns by 0.75 mm. By accumulating the “petty device”, a difference was given when finishing up after completion. In the case of 1/700 models there is a point of inquiring the juggling around of it’s little control but how many millimeters, comma what difference in millimeters on the actual warship would differ in the completion. Even though being easy for 1/700 models it can be frightening. Next I will write about the position and distribution of the machine guns. JUNYO at the time of the sea battle off Marianas had carried on board sixteen triple mounted machine guns. The distribution and position were two on the starboard side from the bow (the place where the rocket launchers are at on the kit). Four of them from the stern. Two from the bow on the port side. Four in the middle. Two on the stern. One each in front and behind the bridge for a total of 16 guns. I hear during the production that utterance “What about the rocket launchers at the time of the Mariana battle?” but in photographs during the listing test of May 3, 1944, there are no rocket launchers photographed. Because of that to satisfy the common view it was finished up with that item.

6. Creation of the bridge

Even the creation of the bridge was done all by plastic sheets. It consisted of five stories. On the first story were the direction finding room, bridge wiring room, repair crew waiting room, signal flag stowage room and others. On the second story becoming the lower bridge deck, it had the radio telephone room, skipper and executive officer bedroom, direction finding room. On the third story which became the upper bridge deck, It had the chart room, rudder room, direction finding room. The fourth story which became the compass bridge deck had the compass bridge and messenger station, take-off and landing command post and outlook stations. The fifth story had the anti aircraft command post and outlook station. After investigating the layout of the interior, I went into the production of the bridge. The bridge was created by stacking up in a box-like fashion one story at a time. Since the funnel was an erect style, it tilted outward at a 26 degree angle. This was the solution in order to drastically reduce the influence of the exhaust received at the time of deck landings. The peculiar funnel was created from a rough shape glued onto a plastic square rod, it was created by refining with a rooter (electric drill?). It is a digression but, with the funnel being damaged by receiving a direct hit at the sea battle in the waters off Mariana, there was likely a slight difference after the repairs. The funnel before the Mariana battle compared to the funnel after the battle was slightly wider, the image likely has a sense of being ‘rough’. Since there are no references for the dimensions, the funnel was created to be slightly wider than the Tamiya kit parts. Also it is necessary to take cautions since there are changes observed in the exhaust pipes surrounding the funnel. The interior of JUNYO had much of the surface area occupied by the chimney connected to the funnel, the places were the functioning of the bridge was accomplished is well understood by being smaller than what the eyes can see. The bridge having the erect funnel started with JUNYO and also was on TAIYO and SHINANO. Next is the radar equipments on JUNYO, equipped with two 2-1 go radar and one detector. One of the 2-1 go radar was attached to the fifth story of the bridge, the detector was installed on the upper part of the aerial wire extension pole behind that. The other 2-1 go radar was installed on top of the fight deck on the port side towards the stern. These 2-1 go radars had limits on their height since they were the telescopic style, as for the one installed on top of the bridge the shape is apparent. Also in regards to the 3-1 go radar at the time of the sea battle off Marianas it was no installed on JUNYO. The installment was after this battle.

7. Creating the Flight Deck

The creation of the flight deck as well was done from Evergreen’s plastic boards. The wooden deck section was created by using grooved plastic boards. The edges surrounding the flight deck had steel plate slip-guards. I considered using etch parts as well but considering the balance with the entire product, the use was ended since it could be seen floating above only at this area. The attachment of the edges was created by using 0.25 mm flat plastic boards. This resulted in a step on the areas of the edges with the flight deck but, the role was to stiffen the entire product after that stage. At the painting stage to clearly have different colors with the flight deck, the finish could be seen better. On the concrete section around the flight deck and the two elevators, 0.13 mm thick plastic boards were used. By using plastic boards that had different thickness with the surrounding areas, the goal was to make the adjacent parts look better. Even though using 0.13 and 0.25 mm boards after conducting several sanding down until it was finished, actually those thicknesses became a non- issue. It was necessary to thin down some of the line molding of the kit specific for the Mariana battle. The weather vane marking at the center of the vessel was lacking since there are no photographs. Please refer to it. In order to finish up the flight deck nicely, there are stickers that represent the wooden deck currently. I thought that this was a better answer by using this.

8. Etched parts used

Currently there are many etched parts developed and sold by each company. With the parts being plentiful it doubles the satisfaction for the creation. However on the other side, there actually few specific parts. Currently there are many supplies of the same products that use similar parts. I thought strongly “Is this possibly good?”. Well I will list the etched parts used on JUNYO.

Fine Molds: triple mounted gun shield, searchlight cover, 2-1 go radar, detector, boat davits, collapsable masts, windscreen.

Gold Medal (handled by Pit Road): PE01 USN general accessory set, hand rails, window frames, ladders

Joe’s World: Carrier landing markings, fairlead

These etched parts were utilized. On top of creating the model “by all means one must use etched parts” is really not the case. It is because one can see that scratch build parts is okay. The etched parts, completing the product I wanted to create myself, I thought of as “simple parts”. The etched parts for me is not the main role. Even based on reports of new etched parts, currently I was obsessed with “how can I complete without showing the cemented surfaces of the parts?”. If improving the techniques I can believe in the power to create “individualism and expressive strength”. If only by gluing on the parts, whom as modelers would likely copy the products which is why I would not want to create them. The style is an individual asset.

9. Creating the high angle guns

The high angles guns were self-created by plastic boards. As always it was created by processing the plastic scratch parts used on Tamiya’s SHINANO but, with no surplus of money they were self-manufactured. The Clipper Models metal barrels were used for the gun barrels .

10. In regards to other sections

(1) It is about the areas that protrude out at the lower part of the high angle gun directing equipment that was on the front side of the bridge but it is said that was not present at the time of the Mariana battle. However the photos of JUNYO during the listing test on May 3, 1944 can verify it’s existence. Thus this item was created.

(2) The creation of the mast, the one behind the bridge and above the bridge was created by etched wire pats and 0.2 mm brass wires. The four collapsable mast were made by Fine Molds. Among the four masts the one on the rear starboard side had a V-shaped tip so it is necessary to take note.

(3) The triple mounted machine guns all had shields, in regards to the fire directing equipment, none were molded on. All of these can be verified by photographs.

(4) Camouflage

JUNYO at the time of the Mariana battle was not camouflaged. The hull was in warship color, the deck in tan. There were lines on top of the flight deck but the original color white completely floated up such that it was finished up in light gray-white. Like that aforementioned, there was not a weather vane indicator in the center. Also on the center of the same vessel there existed a line indicating the line up position of aircraft that can be verified by photos taken at the time of the Mariana battle. The color is understood to be in red and white and placed on top of the deck. JUNYO that was created was done by products that shows an overall balance. Thus the attachment of small objects like the binoculars was extremely restrained. “Obsessed with the way I created it myself, I created an original product” which made me quite happy. Since I thought carefully about this situation, it is likely I will not read nor see the creation report and products of other modelers. Due to this example I always thought about wanting to create items.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Imazumi-San

Due to work issues, I haven't deal with your copies. So, as soon as I can spare some time to go to my trusty xerox/print firm (don't want them to ruin my magazines), I'll take the selected numbers and send them to you - it is not forgotten!!

Thanks for the Navy Yard translation!
What are your feelings about Navy Yard magazines? To me they look a good product with excellent modelers/models portrayed...
Thank you, once again!

Rui
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 01:36 PM UTC

Mr. Matos:
I think, so far, Navy Yard is 'acceptable' in some respects, but somehow it seems the modelers
vary in their method of writing their articles, some not as detailed as the contributors to Model
Art Warship Specials. Since the series is brand new, it will take some time to get more detailed comments. As I do more translations, I hope everyone gets more useful building and painting information, that is the real goal. I still encourage to buy the series.

Hope you can come through on those photocopies someday, just e-mail here when they are
ready for shipment. Do not rush the process since I have so many projects.

Imazumi Hiroshi

wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 01:08 PM UTC

Mr. Matos:
I may have a better idea about 'copying' your Model Arts or other publications.

First of all, do you have a digital camera? It probably should be 6mP (megapixels) or
better. Using good light on the pages, take a snapshot and load into your computer.
If the image(s) are good quality, transfer the images to a CD. Then send out the CD
to my office.

I think this may prove faster and more reliable? Plus, you won't bend your magazines
too badly?

Imazumi Hiroshi
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC

Good idea Imazumi-San!
I'll deal with this asap

Thank you, once again - and about your amount of work and our translations, don't worry, we are modelers, so... we can wait!
Rui
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 04:59 AM UTC

Your attention please, this is the Admiral writing:
I have just made my payment to procure the 3D books and should hopefully arrive at the
end of this week or early next week. I look forward to viewing them and make the analysis.

Also, just about finishing up my raw translation for Navy Yard 4, it looks better than my initial
assessment of the magazine. Then the process of interpretation, printing and selling. Hope the
outcome is pleasing to all concerned.

Sayonara o-tomo, o-daijini-nasai.

Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 09:39 AM UTC

To My Friends:
I was curious about this: Do any of you purchase the MONTHLY Model Art magazines?
I remember that they had a section in the middle of the magazine devoted to waterline
warships, different subjects of course. I may also ask about the kit reviews. If any of
you will find those translations helpful, please reply and spread the word!!!!!!! (Like laying
mines in the Sea of Japan.....)

Saidou ni, arigatoo gozaimasu.

Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 05:06 PM UTC

Minna-sama ni wa:
Great news! Navy Yard 4 is now completed. So, the master copy is being sent to Bill
Gruner at pacific Front later this week and hopefully it will be posted on his website
shortly after receipt of the manuscript. I just keep my fingers crossed that all of you
will buy and enjoy.

With that in mind, I will be doing an aircraft subject, so until late November or early December,
be good. I hope my 3D books will be arriving late this week for the quick glance.

Which title will be done? It will be announced later....

Imazumi Hiroshi