General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
New Waterline Special from ModelArt
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 05:38 PM UTC

Greetings Everyone!
I finally received my 3D books from Japan and inspected them briefly. I have to say they
are good books and are handy in some respects, combined with other sources already
in print, they will make great references. I plan on doing Nagato first, then maybe Akagi
in 2009.

Currently working on an aircraft topic, lots of text to translate. Had to purchase a cheap
lightweight laptop so during my breaks I can type while at my real work. I hope my 'new'
laptop arrives in two days so I can load in the necessary software and begin my next
journey.

Hope everyone is doing well and purchased a copy of Navy yard 4 translation.....did
Pacific Front post it yet?

Imazumi Hiroshi
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi Imazumi-San!

As per yesterday, Bill haven't announced it.
I am having lot's of work, but my "personal order" is not forgotten

With all the Akagi fever in 700th and with the soon to be released new mold in 350th, any info of this subject would be a good seller.

Rui
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:41 PM UTC

Mr. Matos and others:
I then shall proceed later to do the translation for the 3D book on Akagi. Aircraft carriers tend to
be my most favorite naval vessel subjects, followed by battleships, cruisers, destroyers, submarines, miscellaneous. A perfect match for the aircraft and ship modeller.

Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:19 AM UTC

Fellow Modelers:
I have looked over the 3D book in regards to the carrier Akagi, and will do the sections that would
be of benefit to the modelers. I shall limit to text that pertain to the bridge, armament,
hull, other structures. Then if demand and reimbursement is good, shall add in the operations and historical text. Feel this is best in regards to time and modeler's general interest whom
want to tackle the new Hasegawa kits.

Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:44 AM UTC

Gentlemen:
I was wondering if each of you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed onto your respective
computers. Reason is because the 3D Book on Akagi has pointers to each highlighted
changes to each phase of construction, without that program it would be very difficult to
annotate those pointers. Of course the graphics would be omitted, so only the arrow and
translation would appear.

Please respond soon so I can set up the project.

Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 01:15 PM UTC
I wish all of you a Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Joyeux Noel, Buon Natale and others.

I am about finished with the aircraft subject, so should be moving onto the 3D Akagi after
January, 2009. I saw shots of the kit mock up and it seems sweet in 350th scale, but the
size is too much for my little workspace......

Hope Santa Claus is good to each of you.

Imazumi Hiroshi
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Joyeux Noel, Buon Natale and others.

I am about finished with the aircraft subject, so should be moving onto the 3D Akagi after
January, 2009. I saw shots of the kit mock up and it seems sweet in 350th scale, but the
size is too much for my little workspace......

Hope Santa Claus is good to each of you.

Imazumi Hiroshi

... and a very happy holidays to you to Mr. Imazumi!

P.S. the translated Model Art issues I received from Bill Gruner were well worth the cost,... thank you kindly for the service, and be assured that I'll pick up any future issues.

Frank
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hi Everyone Again,
It seems Bill Gruner is having difficulties to obtain Navy Yard series. This is why he has not
posted the translation for volume #4 (or whatever I just completed).
If any of you know of a source from Japan that can be recommended to obtain the magazines (sorry not HLJ), please post a response promptly. I want to help him get the magazines into
his shop so he can have the translations available on his website. Or write to him directly
(shipguy(at)pacificfront(dot)com).

I appreciate everyone's help in this matter.

Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 06:55 AM UTC

Ok, Mates, I may have some good news about the Navy Yard interpretation!
I have e-mailed Bill Gruner and hopefully he will be obtaining some of the issues soon
into his shop, numbers 2 to 7. Thereafter he should be posting the supplement to number 4
for you to obtain.

As time passes, I should be able to perform the supplements to the earlier issues, but I
want to go ahead and do the 3D Akagi. I think this particular supplement I will have to
send it directly to each of you on a CD, but you will be updated in 2009.

Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 08:25 AM UTC

Santa has granted a special gift to you:

It's only the start........

AMERICAN) ENGLISH SUPPLEMENT TO 3D AKAGI

Completion of large sized aircraft carrier of 30,000 ton class which was the world's pioneer With the keel laid down as a Japanese battle cruiser in 1920, it was completed as an aircraft carrier in 1927. AKAGI at the time of being newly constructed. The result of the Washington disarmament conference AKAGI which was undergoing construction as a battle cruiser was its' design transformed into an aircraft carrier, borne as a large sized carrier having three decks. AKAGI that had taken seven years since the keel was laid had a difficult birth. The birth of AKAGI was largely influenced by the Washington disarmament treaty of December 1921. This conference was to break the ship construction competition between the five countries, United States, United Kingdom, Japan, Italy and France such that a meeting was held to likely receive the limitations on construction of the main force vessels (battleships). The result of this conference was that Japan was limited to having 10 battleships with total tonnage of 300,132 tons. The battleships to be possessed by Japan was 60% compared to that of the US and UK at best. The IJN at that time had pressed forward with the 8-8 fleet plan, planning for construction of eight battle cruisers and eight battleships, later on already it had in possession of 24 vessels together in KONGO, ISE, FUSO classes. Already the battleships in the 8-8 fleet plan NAGATO and MUTSU classes were completed, thus battleships TOSA, KAGA and battlecruisers AKAGAI, AMAGI were in the middle of construction. The result of the treaty if to retain the battleships that were already possessed, the 8-8 fleet plan would have to be neglected, the battleships and battlecruisers that were already in the middle of construction had no choice but to be completely abandoned. The IJN at that time did not possess any aircraft carriers, with only the world's first light carrier HOSHO being in the middle of construction. With that the battleships TOSA, KAGA and battlecruisers AKAGI and AMAGI had their designs changed likely starting the birth of aircraft carrier AKAGI. As for the design at that time it was required to have high performance to launch and recover shipborne aircrafts such that the battle cruisers AKAGI and AMAGI be constructed into aircraft carriers. AKAGI was in the middle of construction at Kure Arsenal and AMAGI was constructed at Yokosuka Arsenal but just after the decision was made to change the design the Kanto earthquake had occurred. Since damage developed on the hull of OSHIRO* that completed under that effect, the battleship KAGA that was constructed at Kawasaki ship construction site hurriedly at Kobe was to become borne into an aircraft carrier. By the way AMAGI was dismantled and scrapped as such. Already ending the launch, battleship TOSA which only had the outfitting remaining became a target for gun fire training, dispersed by sinking into the sea. At the time period when the changes in their design was trial and error, on December 27 1922 HOSHO which became the world's first aircraft carrier was completed, even the IJN had met the era of employing aircraft carriers. As far as this was concerned the Royal Navy also had used aircraft carriers but all of them had been converted from battleships and others such that as warships that were proposed to be aircraft carriers since the design and construction stage HOSHO was the first.

Imazumi Hiroshi
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hello Mr. Imazumi,

May I suggest one change to your very useful translation supplements.

Having read through Supplements 23, 24 and 26, I'd like to see a quick page reference back to the original Japanese Model Art. This would help immensely should one be browsing through the builds and require the text translation. Possibly prior to the chapter translation, write down the respective page number and the section of the page.

eagerly awaiting your 3D Akagi translation,

Frank
Removed by original poster on 07/09/09 - 01:32:12 (GMT).
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, in regards to page numbering here is an example:

P. 122 Published at the top page of the maintenance manual an overall shot from the left rear angle of Type 96 reconnaissance seaplane. Like that applicable to special duty of night time reconnaissance, as for navy aircrafts there were no other examples, the standard camouflage being all surfaces painted in black. One could acknowledge that it was referred to by the common name “crow” from it’s configuration. When compared to the Supermarine Walrus of which it followed in design and performance, the development time made it a slightly newer Type 96 reconnaissance seaplane but, in reality it did not match the Walrus.

P. 128 The front and side view of the aircraft with the main wings folded.

P. 148 The main instrument panel of H6K4-L Type 97 transport flying boat. It was very much the same as the standard model, the layout of each instrument, handles, joystick are well understood. The various instruments on the section surrounded by a white line at the center is the controller used for the automatic pilot equipments.

P. 151 A close up near the nacelle of the civilian version of “Kawanishi four engine flying boat” with the engines starting up. Details which include the air inlet for the lubricating oil radiator and cowl flaps are well understood. Even the civilian version had the Kinsei 43 engine which was the same as “Mavis” models 1-1 and 1-2.

This is an excerpt from my recent project dealing with IJN aircrafts. I assume this is the format you are referring? The suggestion will be taken into consideration. I have to figure out how to
deal with the pointers on Akagi in the middle of the book.

Imazumi Hiroshi

That's exactly what I was looking for, it would make cross-referencing much easier.

thanks,
Frank
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,
I asked earlier if any of you have Adobe (r) Acrobat Reader on your computers.
If not, then I recommend you download and install as soon as possible.
Reason is that I am trying to translate those pointers on the early, middle and final
configuration pages so they are easily understood when viewed on the computer.
I cannot print it out since it would ruin my precious and expensive printer. I have to
place them onto a CD disc for best results. The other text will still be printed out on paper.

Please reply.

Imazumi Hiroshi
Removed by original poster on 01/01/09 - 01:58:35 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 07/09/09 - 01:33:08 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 07/09/09 - 01:33:32 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 07/09/09 - 01:33:58 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/11/09 - 02:48:44 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 07/09/09 - 01:34:29 (GMT).
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
Referenced photo of proposed layout...

Removed by original poster on 07/09/09 - 01:35:13 (GMT).
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello sir,
In regards to your previous suggestion on 'page reference' the photo captions are
difficult in my opinion to just simply write "Page 6 upper right", so that is why I am
proposing to have some kind of 'layout' with alphabets so any of you can reference
the captions to the corresponding photo. Thus P6-B would be page 6 photo B.

Sorry for the bad posting, I guess the 'graphics' did not upload properly?

Imazumi Hiroshi

Mr. Imazumi,

No need to apologize! Your description and layout are both clear.

I look forward to your new translations,

thanks kindly,

Frank
Removed by original poster on 07/09/09 - 01:34:50 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 03/07/09 - 02:49:22 (GMT).