_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
New Waterline Special from ModelArt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:38 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Model Art Magazine stopped by the news room to show off their upcoming Waterline Special #28. Check it out.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gator
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:00 AM UTC
it's on pre-order!
Can wait to lay hands on it!

Thanks for the heads-up Kenny

Rui
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC
Heeding Rui's advice that I should be compiling more reference, I've recently started to purchase back issues of Model Art. Even though the're strictly in Japanese, they are a must for IJN fans.

I've got two shipments coming in from HLJ this week, Model Art 24 and 27 plus the Pit Road DD Shirakumo and and on the other order the 3D CG combined fleet, 3D CG BB Nagato, 3D CG aircraft carrier complete guide and the Naval Yard issue 6.... can't wait!!!

Frank
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
Yes Frank, indeed the language is 99.9% japanese, with the exception of some captions, but it's worth all the cents!
I wish there was an english translation of it, or a high quality magazine in ENGLISH!

I know it's a quarterly magazine and that they depend on their staff and other (japanese) ship modelers, with the quality of the displayed works varying accordingly to the skills of them, but still, Model Art Waterline Special Magazine and Navy Yard are the best in the market!

Just my two € cents
Rui
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 04:45 PM UTC
Hello Everyone:
For those whom need your Model Art translated, please give Bill Gruner a call
at Pacific Front Hobbies. I have worked on several titles recently. I hope each of
you will find it useful. I need feedback from each of you if future issues are
requiring translation.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 01:20 PM UTC
Hello Imazumi, and welcome to Model Shipwrights.

I'll speak on behalf of Rui and myself in expressing our gratitude for your generosity in taking up this task. I'll compile a list of articles that I'd like translated. I'm currently away from home on business but will be back for the weekend.

Frank
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 03:10 PM UTC

Many thanks for your potential interest. For the present I have translated the various articles
for Model Art Warship Special number 23, 24 and 26. They are available through Pacific Front Hobbies. I hope to do more. They are only on the topics on the completed/built kits. Should anyone desire more of the 'articles' to be translated, need feedback.

I have not received any copy of "Navy Yard", would anyone be interested in those?

This is my part time side-job, so time will be scarce, so patience is required.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hello Imazumi Hiroshi

First, Welcome to MSW!

Thank you so much for your words, and I must concur with Frank Portela about my interest in articles translated from these Magazines!
As for Navy Yard, I could suggest you to get (if you can) and see the quality of the articles and photo coverage of the models.
I only turned to 1/700 scale ship modeling a few years ago, and I must say that I have learned a LOT from these magazines, just by seeing the images - if there's a chance to read the full article, that would be the cherry on top of the cake!
I will contact Bill Gruner and ask him about the translations
Thank you for sharing

If there's anything that I can do, please ask!

Rui
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 01:54 PM UTC

Hello Mr. Matos:
I am planning to purchase copies of Navy Yard from overseas soon and do a quick lookover.
Since Navy Yard is relatively new to me, and I am sure many friends of your's, I will attempt to
do some work on those titles. The work will be separated from Pacific Front, so it shall be
my own deal.

Please pass on the information to others in the group and hopefully there will be tons of
interested parties (which will keep me busy for a lifetime).

By the way, I have done some work on KaiJin Sha series and also Gran Prix (ex-Maru specials)
available at Pacific Front.

I enjoy keeping people informed, and so my devotion to translating.

Imazumi Hiroshi
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 - 03:17 PM UTC
Hello Again!
Here is a sample statement from my recent translation work for Model Art #24 special.
Again, the full text is available from Pacific Front Hobbies.

FUSO FINAL STATE 1944

What I worried about in the assembly was the attachment of the lower part of the rear mast (5) to the deck but, what did not go very well was the insertion of the polycap used for rotating the main guns. Other than these the joining was good such that the majority went straightforward. The joint of the crane motor room (8) with the linoleum deck (3) would make the sides of the deck jut out a bit. In this example it was shaved off, with the joint becoming one surface the surface management was conducted. Furthermore by re-verifying the photos of the electric motor room, an protrusion can be seen, perhaps the single surface is probably an error. Be careful about removing the indicator for attaching the auxiliary gun tracker on the rear mast (7). Two of the reserve command post (K2) was attached to the sides of the bow.

Adjusting the Outrigging

Please note the part numbers for the main and auxiliary anchors are reversed. The portside of the lower part of the bridge (39), was filled up with plastic material and the adjustment to the shape was carried out. On the molded turntable, since the rails were not represented, the surface of the turntable was thinned down and the rails were represented by gluing on plastic materials. Furthermore in this example a process was done to join with the height of the molded rails but, the molded rails were slightly lower such that even the rails had to be remade for more realism. Even while indicated for attaching the twin mounted 25 mm machine guns, four of them on top of the number five main gun and on the front of the bridge structure, note that they were triple mounted guns.

Year Modification

The combat bridge (37) had the deck widened by using plastic materials (0.5 mm thick). At that moment some of the bulwark was shaved away. Also since the deck for the anti aircraft command station was widened (21), plastic material was used in the same manner, the deck and bulwark were reproduced (this also was pleasing as there were two types like the range finder). The number of portholes on the hull were molded on since it was in the state before it was covered up by combat experience, only the upper most on the sides of the bow remained, other than that all of them were filled up. When doing this process, the joint molded on and the “monkey-ladder” were completely removed such that in this example these were resolutely shaved away.

Exchanging the Outrigging

The 21-go radar (65) was substituted with etched parts. Furthermore the etched parts were simple to assemble through the assembly directions. The searchlight support (60,61) were exchanged for the etched parts. Furthermore the passageway that bind the front and back was represented by cutting away the kit parts. Additionally the support for the machine gun stand (lower side of the forward searchlight stand) that was molded on was shaved off, represented by etched parts (it was necessary to adjust the height). Furthermore, as for the year of production since it was possible to install the radar room with removal of the searchlight (numbers 1 and 2), it was fine to have this reproduced. The etched parts were used for the shield used for the twin and triple mounted 25 mm machine guns (above wooden deck) (64). Two types of twin mounted 25 mm machine guns were prepared (1) and (W41) but, in this example all of the latter were attached (these were more smaller). The top mast for the upper part of the rear bridge (9,11) were substituted by brass wires (0.3,0.4,0.5mm diameters). The crane (10) had the arm section substituted by the etched parts. Additionally the catapult as well (W44) was substituted by etched parts.

Additional Outrigging

The fairlead was reproduced by being molded on but, as such it was thin so CSI Creos Mr. Surfacer 500 was filled in to increase the ‘volume’ (only the bow and stern). The outer electrical wiring was represented by making small cuts of masking tape and pasting it on (the layout is an assumption). Furthermore the adhesive for the tape was weak such that it was made sturdier by flowing on cement. Also the tape’s surface as such was sticky, the surface was adjusted by a coating of Mr. Surfacer 1000. Three assemblies of the boat davit (W23) was both sides each, represented in the stowed position. One loop antenna was installed on top of the protrusion on the side of the bow at the air defense command post (W42), on top of the protrusion on both sides one each of 22-go radar (W1)was installed (stern side). One each of 13-go radar (Pit Road accessory set E2) was installed on both sides of the funnel.
On each searchlight stand (51, 54, 56) the bulwark was molded on but, the section in this instance since having a hand rail, in this example it was shaved off. Furthermore this bulwark section was painted in white color, so that it could represent the canvas extending over the hand rails. The support for the cross tree on the rear bridge (K3) (actually wide wire perhaps) was represented by brass wires (0.3mm diameter). The wire for the crane used for the seaplanes and derrick (13) was represented by loose lead wire (most effective economically). The single 25 mm machine gun stand on top of the number 3 and 4 main gun turrets was represented by plastic materials (0.5 mm thick). The single mounted 25 mm machine guns (Pit Road accessory set E10) as for the time of production there were 39 of them installed (including five units that had been moved) but, in this example 34 of them were installed with the moveable ones omitted (some of the positions are presumptions). The shape of the twin mounted 25 mm machine gun stands on top of each of the main gun turrets (2 right, 2 left) varied according to the materials. Since the actual one is not clear in this example it was used as such but, the fussy people it is fine to repair this. The ten 13 mm single mounted machine guns were installed at the time of production but, in this example they were left off.

Painting

For the exterior color Kure navy arsenal color (Mr Color warship color set 1 (SC01) was used. The reason for choosing this color was that it was because it was being docked at Kure Arsenal somewhere between August 2 to August 14, 1944 before taking part in this operation. The wooden deck since it was exposed to the environment where the wood was becoming older as it was used, to a 1:1 mixture of Sail Color (45) and Dark Sea Gray (25) 10 percent of matte white (62) was added in for the color tone and then painted on. The color of other sections were the lower part of the draft line was painted in hull color (29), linoleum deck (warship color SC06), the upper part of the funnel and middle of rear mast was painted in matte black (33), each of the gun turret water proof canvas and motorized launch canopy were painted in Grand Prix white (69), the inside of the cutters painted in wood brown (43), the body of each machine gun, upper surface of transport rails, wires were painted in black metal color (28), the Imperial badge in titanium gold (Tamiya Acrylic X31).
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 02:41 PM UTC
Many thanks for your interest. I just wanted to know if the 'old' Model Art Warship specials
previous to #23 would be of any use to anyone? I was advised that is not the case via Mr.
Gruner. Your frank opinion would be nice. I have copies of back issues in my pile some
where so not exactly sure which issues, thus cannot guarantee how many of the old numbers
could be done, especially with time constraints for future projects (I do aircraft topics as well and maybe some AFVs). These would be done on a private basis, so it won't be available from the shop previously mentioned.

Your feedback will be much appreciated!

Imazumi Hiroshi
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Heeding Rui's advice that I should be compiling more reference, I've recently started to purchase back issues of Model Art. Even though the're strictly in Japanese, they are a must for IJN fans.

I've got two shipments coming in from HLJ this week, Model Art 24 and 27 plus the Pit Road DD Shirakumo and and on the other order the 3D CG combined fleet, 3D CG BB Nagato, 3D CG aircraft carrier complete guide and the Naval Yard issue 6.... can't wait!!!

Yep, got all of 'em, Frank, and they're indispensable. The carrier guide alone is what's getting my Hiryu and 1/500 Zuikaku squared away.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:05 PM UTC
Dear Mr. Imazumi,

It is a pleasure and an honor to have you on Model Shipwrights. I am very familiar with your work done in conjunction with Pacific Front and it is excellent. Thank you also for posting the translation for the article on the 1944 Fuso as I did not have that translation. Please enjoy your time here and we are all very happy to have you!
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 06:10 AM UTC

It is GREAT to know some people have viewed my previous works and have found them to be
of great value.

I have purchased all current and past issues of Navy Yard by Model Graphix(?) and as soon as
they arrive I will be typing away! Again, timing will be slow, yet computers are wonderful in keeping files intact for years and years.

Just need a general opinion from each of you: is the building articles enough? I know the MA
warship specials have some 'history', but am not sure if it is of potential value? Plus the new kit
reviews, are they helpful? Reason for the inquiry is I am concerned about time constraints
and of course printing costs with the additional mounds of pages.

Should your answers be 'yes' to the above, would you prefer that Pacific Front had them on compact discs (CDs) or just simply e-mail them? Again, time is precious on these projects.

Many thanks for any feedback.

Imazumi Hiroshi

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi Mr. Imazumi

Well, I must say Yes to:
- Building Articles and History/reference

The news I would pass, since sooner or later we will get them here and other modeling forums, as well as on Model shops (online and real)...
As for type of delivery, since you latest "free gift" on the IJN Fuso, I have contacted Bill, but so far didn't get an answer... but no stress here.
If I could get the translations delivered to my email, I would like that.

You will find the Navy Yard Magazines a good value - I did!
Again, Thank you for your interest

Rui
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:40 AM UTC

Mr. Matos:
I shall contact Mr. Gruner and find out what the hold-up is. He was pretty enthusiastic of
the translations produced. I will alert him that there are many potential customers. He
has been very busy lately in his shop due to the falling US dollar value. But I will rattle-his-cage.

As soon as one of the Navy Yard is completed, I will post a notice here on the forum.

If I allocate enough time, I will begin to do some of the historical part of the MA specials for printing (or e-mail). I am not certain how much he or I may 'charge' for the project, but hopefully it will be very reasonable for all concerned.

Imazumi Hiroshi

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hey guys, just a quick note here for cultural exchange, Mr. Imazumi's last name is "Imazumi", so please call him as such. His given name is Hiroshi as is the Japanese custom of family name first. So please, when speaking to him, call him "Mr. Imazumi" out of respect.

Once again, welcome to Model Shipwrights, Mr. Imazumi!
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 02:05 PM UTC

Hello Everyone (again):
I appreciate the courtesy in addressing me as "Mr. Imazumi", but then I don't get too much
offense if you address me as Hiroshi or Imazumi or whatever (wlivenow). In my daily job (yes,
I have a real full time job), I get called "doc", "Admiral", and other names, but that is really up
to the individual.

Anyways, be typing later.

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 02:33 PM UTC
Mr. Imazumi,

Thank you for your understanding. Since the western system shows the given name first, I just wanted to make sure there was no offense as everyone here is very nice and wants to be friendly. Thank you again, and I'm looking forward to more of your translations.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hello again Mr. Imazumi

Respect is a permanent attitude here at MSW, and by no means I intended to break this amongst our members. Of course, some of us already know each other a few years back, but respect is still here!

As for spreading the word about your translations, I will of course do it amongst the Portuguese ship modeling community (not that big), but I know a few IJN fans that will be very Happy (excluding me)!

As you see, I have a lot of reading to catch up...

I also understand that Bill Grunner is under a lot of work, and usually with me, there's no really big stress in getting models/info/PE sets - sooner or later they will arrive.

Thank you for your kind words - and if you feel comfortable leaving the Mr. away from the Matos, I am perfectly too

Rui
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 04:17 PM UTC

Sr. Matos:
I figured your were a Portugese person, but that is all too cool, because I can't think of many
modelers in Europe that are generally interested in the Pacific War between the US and Japan.
Well, to make a risk I can probably have the US English transformed into Portugese. That may
stimulate more Portugese individuals to get involved in modelling Japanese warships, at least that would be my intention. Any method to have more involvement the better!! Nonetheless getting your assistance in spreading the word to others will be gratefully appreciated!!!!
!Muito obrigado meu amigo!
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 - 04:38 PM UTC

Mr. Matos: Here is a brain teaser, taken from a Model Art Warship Special on the aircrafts
carried on Furutaka class, in US English & Portugese:

In December 1903, mankind, through Flyer-1 developed by the Wright Brothers, seven years since the first powered flight, an attempt was made to launch an aircraft from a vessel on top of the ocean. The Curtiss Wright aircraft that had wheels controlled by Eugene Harry*in November 1910 succeeded in the historical first launch from a vessel on top of the ocean from a runway stand that was temporarily installed on the bow of US light cruiser Birmingham*, the potential for shipboard aircrafts had widened. The powerful nations that had competed in the development of main force warships on the basis of the principle " big warship, big guns " had carried on board aircrafts on the warships, by doing reconnaissance of enemy movement in addition to artillery hit observation it was considered to be connected with victory in decisive fleet battles, along with the competition for development of seaplanes having floats attached, there was concentration of all strength on the development of launching equipment from vessels during the run. The transport vessel Wakamiya-Maru that took part in the small scale Naval exercise in the autumn of 1915 had not been modified for aircraft outfitting as such, to start the participation of Farman seaplanes carried on board, Tama class light cruiser completed in 1918 was the first warship assigned to have an aircraft carried on board.

Em dezembro de 1903, a humanidade, com Flyer-1 desenvolvido pelos irmãos de Wright, sete anos desde o primeiro vôo psto, uma tentativa foi feita para lanç um avião de uma embarcação sobre o oceano. Os aviões de Curtiss Wright que tiveram as rodas controladas por Eugene Harry* sucedido em novembro de 1910 no primeiro lançamento histórico de uma embarcação sobre o oceano de um carrinho da pista de decolagem que fosse instalado temporariamente na curva do cruzador leve Birmingham* dos E.U., o potencial para aviões do bordo do navio tinham-se alargado. As nações poderosas que tinham competido no desenvolvimento de navios de guerra da força principal com base no princípio “navio de guerra grande, injetores grandes” tinham continuado aviões da placa nos navios de guerra, fazendo o reconhecimento do movimento inimigo além do que a artilharia bateram a observação que se considerou ser conetado com a vitória em batalhas decisivas da frota, junto com a competição para o desenvolvimento dos seaplanes que têm flutuadores unidos, lá eram concentração de toda a força no desenvolvimento do equipamento de lançamento das embarcações durante o funcionamento. A embarcação Wakamiya-Maru do transporte que participou no exercício naval da pequena escala no outono de 1915 não tinha sido modificada para os aviões que equipam como tal, para começar a participação da placa continuada seaplanes de Farman, classe que de Tama o cruzador leve terminado em 1918 era o primeiro navio de guerra atribuído para ter uma placa continuada aviões.

Enjoy!!! I like your small library of books, wish my books were more organized.

Imazumi Hiroshi
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sr. Matos:
I figured your were a Portugese person, but that is all too cool, because I can't think of many
modelers in Europe that are generally interested in the Pacific War between the US and Japan.
Well, to make a risk I can probably have the US English transformed into Portugese. That may
stimulate more Portugese individuals to get involved in modelling Japanese warships, at least that would be my intention. Any method to have more involvement the better!! Nonetheless getting your assistance in spreading the word to others will be gratefully appreciated!!!!
!Muito obrigado meu amigo!

Imazumi San,

:)
Thank you for the Portuguese translation, but I think that perhaps that is an extra work for you, since our modeling community is 95% english speaking - the fact that we do not have (any longer) a portuguese model manufacturer, that 90% of the references are (or use to be) in English, helped us to "master" a few foreign languages (Spanish, French, Italian and a little bit of German).

As for the interest of portuguese modelers on IJN subjects, that is easy:
- Interesting ships;
- Unusual concepts;
- And during WWII, Portugal had some far-east colonies (Timor, Macau, and in India: Díu, Damão and Goa), so some of IJN and IJA history is also crossed with Portuguese military History, in the Battle of Timor (although Portugal was neutral country during WWII).

As for the organization of my books...
This is the only section organized - the others need some time to organize!

ミスターimazumiいただきありがとうございます!
友情とすぐにお会いしましょう、
Rui
_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 05:42 AM UTC
Greetings all and Mr. Imazumi

Most interesting development here regarding the splendid Model Art Magazines. I have little more to say but to agree with what Rui Matos said. I am as well a Portuguese ship modeller and have a few Model Arts myself. I guess I met some of the Model Art Magazine team back in 2004 at the Scale Model World IPMS/UK at Telford and bought some stuff from you guys. Regarding the translation project that Imazumi San is taking I don't mind if it's only in English taking into account that most of our modellers (like Rui said...around 95%) do read English perfectly. There are a few Portuguese ship modellers that do build IJN ships but sadly not more then an handfull being Rui, myself, Pedro Brandão and José Chaíça the most appearing ones around here and in other boards. About the numbers to be translated I have a very keen interest in the old IJN light-cruisers of the 20's...Yubari and the 5500 tonners so I guess I would be happy enough with a translation of Model Art N13. I have both Yubari and Tama in the building process so any extra information would be most welcome. Just a remark, I find your warship plans most helpful and of good quality.
Best regards,

Filipe Ramires
wlivenow
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 02:52 PM UTC

Cavalheiro:
I thank each of you for your generous replies. Ok, I am not certain I have Model Art Warship
Special #13 in my collection, I think I started to get interested sometime later.

I know it can be very, very tough to find back issues. My suggestion is: can one of you kindly
provide a good clear photocopy of each and every page and have it sent over to my address?
From that copy I can produce some basic translation on the kits completely built.

If any of you step forward with the copy, then I will give my business address.

I have finished ordering my Navy Yard and made the payment to Japan, so it will arrive soon.
I am looking forward to their arrival.

お様には
どおも有難うございます!!
お大事になさい!!
 _GOTOTOP