_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Cruisers of the 20th Century
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:03 AM UTC
Ahoy mates,

What a busy time we have here at MSW!!! Today (July 1st, 2008) marks the official start date of the MSW "Cruisers of the 20th Century" Campaign!!

So if you're signed up, time to get busy, and if you're not, well, why not sign on NOW, and build a model with your mates!

Just follow the link below to the Official Campaign Homepage, click on the "Enlist" button on the right side of the screen, and start building!!

Be sure to start a campaign BLOG in the "Fleet Maneuvers" Forum to record your progress, and please use the official Campaign Gallery (link on Campaign Homepage) to upload your "In Progress" and "Finished" build images....carry on!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 04:11 PM UTC
Thanks for the reminder Mark!... I completly missed this one. I'll take a break from the Japanese fleet and build the Russian Varyag. I'll need some help from you pre-dreadnought crowd, as I've no reference for this one.

Frank

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the reminder Mark!... I completly missed this one. I'll take a break from the Japanese fleet and build the Russian Varyag. I'll need some help from you pre-dreadnought crowd, as I've no reference for this one.

Beautiful vessel, Frank, and an equally fine model kit....take a look here for a fantastic build up of this particular kit by Bernd Villhauer....looking forward to watching your build grow, my friend, I know that you'll do her justice!

treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 08:31 AM UTC
Argh!

It's all your fault Mark, now I have to go trolling in the stash and dig up a Cruiser, good thing I have lots of bench space.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:15 AM UTC
After long and careful consideration I have chosen my victim, er subject for this campaign, the USS Baltimore CA 68 by Trumpeter in 1/700 scale along with some additional help from Gold Medal Models WW2 USN Cruiser/Destroyer Fittings set and Toms' Model Works dedicated Baltimore Class Cruiser set #756. I also have Toms' Model Works 40MM Mounts and Rails set # 740 to toss in there as well as their US Cruiser Catapults set #715. Never know what might come in handy during such things. I will probably populate her decks with some of the figures from Toms' and/or WEMs' figure sets so it won't look like a ghost ship.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:48 AM UTC
Nice pick Joseph, those Trumpeter/Pit Road kits are the "bees knees"

Thanks for the reference Mark, it'll help greatly.

Frank
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Argh!

It's all your fault Mark, now I have to go trolling in the stash and dig up a Cruiser, good thing I have lots of bench space.

Aye, Mr. Massey, 'tis a terrible deed, Arghhh....

Welcome to the Campaign, J, looking forward to watching your build, my friend!
Cheers,
~Gunny
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:50 PM UTC
Thanks Guys,

Yes indeed, Sky Wave made some most excellent designs and I am glad that Tamiya, Hasegawa, Dragon, Trumpeter, and others are keeping them in circulation, although I do miss the old two in one box trip that Sky Wave was famous for.

I have been diligently surfin' the web, er, ah, carefully researching my build on internet sources as well as digging through the library on the subject., so far the only paper reference I have found is the Squadron Signal US Heavy Cruisers in Action #4015 that I have on hand. I have found a few builds here and there as well as other interesting little tidbits, enough to give vent to my imagination. Now if I can manage to come up with a 1/700 scale wheelchair........
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 04:32 AM UTC
gents, those are two good looking kits I look forward to seeing!
I will join with a very modest build the 1:700 Dragon Premium edition of the Altanta Class Cruiser USS San Diego, OOB and on a stand. Wont start for a bit, my ship-works dock is currently full at the momment!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now if I can manage to come up with a 1/700 scale wheelchair........

They are easy to make:
Get the two of the smaller cable reels PE parts, make a L section of spare brass and make small handles on top - you'll have your wheelchair - now you just need to make a 1/700 President Roosevelt figurine

Rui
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC
Like James, it's gonna take me a little while to get moving on this build as the slipways are currently full. But once I get stuff cleared out, I'll build the limited edition full hull Nachi kit by Hasegawa:

Expect all the usual bells and whistles. If anything else, the Hiryu build will produce plenty of extras to use on the Nachi.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 08:12 AM UTC
Wow! Some nice selections for build projects guys.

Dade, I built the Nachi kit a while back, excellent choice. I usually have to add CA and paper splinter shields to most 1/700 subjects, not so with the Nachi, you could shave with those bad boys they are so thin. I did use Toms' Model Works Heavy Cruiser set on mine, nice additions for the towers and other bits like the catapults. Gold Medal Models IJN Cruiser/Destroyer set has a few parts but is not as inclusive as the Toms' version. Eduards' Miscellaneous IJN set is another good choice to add, lots of bits for the various gun mounts, small boats, and other things you won't find elsewhere.

James, looking forward to seeing the USS San Diego go together, I have been thinking of adding that one to the stash so it will be a good preview for me.

Thanks for the idea Rui, the only problem with FDR is that cigarette holder, gonna be a real bear in 1/700 scale.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did use Toms' Model Works Heavy Cruiser set on mine, nice additions for the towers and other bits like the catapults. Gold Medal Models IJN Cruiser/Destroyer set has a few parts but is not as inclusive as the Toms' version. Eduards' Miscellaneous IJN set is another good choice to add, lots of bits for the various gun mounts, small boats, and other things you won't find elsewhere.

Most of the PE for this is stuff that will be left over from my Hiryu build. A good chunk of it from Lion Roar as seen here:

Lion Roar's sets often include enough stuff for multiple ships, so there will be lots left over from the Hiryu being that it's a carrier.

I have four copies of Tom's set and two of GMM's. While I agree that Eduard has some decent stuff in theirs, I'm not in love with their IJN stuff. IMO, Lion Roar has pretty much cornered the market on IJN doo-dads and I'm a big fan of their product line (I probably have two or more of everything they make for the IJN for builds current and future). This build will also contain brass barrels from good old Fukuya works.

I actually much prefer Aoshima's Takaos to Hasegawa's Myokos. But, I had already started my Chokai months ago and thus too early to enter; and I wanted to do something full hull- so here I am with the Nachi.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hi Dade,

Cool deal, looks like you have a few things there to work with.

I wish I could find a relable source for Lions Roar products, got any suggestions? Internet Hobbies lists a few of their sets but they also show the disclaimer that these are "limited in availability", I would be interested in using more of their stuff if I could find it. I do have a good source for the Eduards goods and I have used a lot of their other aircraft and armor parts in the past so it is more force of habit.

Looking forward to your build up.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish I could find a relable source for Lions Roar products, got any suggestions?

Try Pacific Front Hobbies, that's where I get my Lion Roar stuff from.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dade,

I wish I could find a relable source for Lions Roar products, got any suggestions? Internet Hobbies lists a few of their sets but they also show the disclaimer that these are "limited in availability", I would be interested in using more of their stuff if I could find it. I do have a good source for the Eduards goods and I have used a lot of their other aircraft and armor parts in the past so it is more force of habit.

Howdy Joseph,

I usually get my Lion Roar stuff from Dragon USA:
http://dragonusaonline.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=72

and Hobby Link Japan:
http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?Maker1=LOR&MacroType=PhoEtc&GenreCode=Nav&Dis=2

You're right about the limited availability of this stuff, though. But it's really worth the extra effort- I think you'll like the product.

I really like Eduard on my tanks and planes too, but when it comes to my IJN stuff, I'm a big proponent of Lion Roar. Give their stuff a shot.
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 06:25 AM UTC
I wont get started for a couple of weeks but here is what I am scheming

MikeM
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Model Shipwrights: 182 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
I'm just about to start Combrig's Canberra as HMS Berwick, so a County Class cruiser this time from the early 1930's. For a change from grey she will be in China Station colours of white hull and buff upperworks.

Mike
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 07:15 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up on places to get Lions' Roar goodies Dade and Martin. Added both of them to the favorites list under PE Suppliers. I have done business with Pacific Front in the past, one of the few reliable sources for Sky Wave kits although a little slow on delivery times, or maybe I am just spoiled from Toms' Model Works and Gold Medal Models.

I have a few Lions' Roar bits for German ships but have yet to try them out. I suppose once I clear the ways from current projects I may have to give them a go. I am sure that my wallet will be getting a work out from Lions' Roar once I get a chance to look over their line.
JMartine
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dade,

I wish I could find a relable source for Lions Roar products, got any suggestions?

I have ordered some Lion roar stuff from LuckyModel; selection is not huge but prices are dirt cheap and shipping is FREE as long as you dont combine it with kits and other stuff.

here is a link to their current LR sale page

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?department=MAIN%20%20%20%20%20%20&catalog_no=LR-WS
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thanks James,

Another one added to my favorites list.

Looks like I will get to do some serious websurfin', er research, yeah that's the ticket.

I have been working on my Cruiser entry, the USS Baltimore. About the only thing that I found a bit unusual was the squared off stern section and two inches of hull that needed to be mounted to the rest of the hull to make it comeplete. At least they give you mounting ears to make it a bit easier. The main deck lacked a tab to mount it's corresponding aft section so I made one up from sheet styrene rather than depend on a simple butt type joint.

Mating the hull and deck was easy enough and I moved on to making up the main gun turrets and their details and then the secondary 5 inch turrets and then the 40 mm Bofors Quad mount towers. After mounting the life rafts to the sides of the 5 inch turrets comes the first bit of brass, the shields for the 40 mm Bofors out of the Toms' Model Works set. I will mount them to the shaved down kit bases before adding the gun tubes and then put the whole assemblies in place in the towers. I do like the treadplate molded into the bottoms of the 40 mm Bofors tubs, a nice addtion to the overall effect. Most ships in this scale lack that sort of detail leaving it up to you to add it or just leave it go.

I have added other photos of my progress in the album.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 09:30 AM UTC
I'll be working on the Trumpeter USS New Orleans. I need to find the PE for it.

Kenny
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Nice choice, If you are making the 1/700 model Toms' Model Works makes a New Orleans/San Francisco set #717 but you will have to add #704 for rails, #706 for the radars, and #715 for the catapults. I believe he has these set up as a complete pacakage set for a discounted price. If you are going the 1/350 route he has a deluxe San Francisco package at $70 that includes the following sets 3501 rails, 3505 Radars, 3506 Heavy Cruiser Details, 3535 Inclined ladders, 3520 Flotation baskets, 3545 Naval Doors, 3555 port holes, 3564 deck details. Looking forward to your build.
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do like the treadplate molded into the bottoms of the 40 mm Bofors tubs, a nice addtion to the overall effect. Most ships in this scale lack that sort of detail leaving it up to you to add it or just leave it go.

If you like Trumpeter's Baltimore you should check out Midship Model's line of light Cruisers. I put together their USS Miami a while back and was very pleased with it. After opening the kit and looking at the detail of the pieces I actually decided against using PE parts on it.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 02:39 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

I will admit to thinking seriously about using the Midships Models USS Cleveland but settled on the Baltimore instead since I wanted to tinker with the larger PE sets that I had for it. Who knows, I may be able to get it finished off and start the Cleveland for a two fer'.

Both models are actually pretty happening looking in the box. Although I may wind up using some of the leftover bits from the Baltimore on the Cleveland. I do like the looks of the 40 MM Bofors mounts in the Trumpeter kit better than the ones from the US Navy Equipment set in the Midship Models kit and Trumpeter gives you a dozen quad mounts when you only need six. These can be split to furnish the dual mounts for the Cleveland.

Ah well, back to wadding up more brass.
 _GOTOTOP