_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
I'm in love!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My Iron Duke will ship out Monday. I'll need to wait to order the NNT barrels for her. There is something beautiful about the lines of a WW1 battleship and the uncluttered deck.

Kenny

I would suggest the Aber sets of 700th scale turned barrels for the casemate and QF guns. They come in 155mm (set L-06), 127mm (set L-07) and 100mm (not sure the code for this one). While made to fit for WW2 IJN ships, they can be cut to size with a dremel tool. Inexpensive at $10 per pack of 12.

155mm = 6.1"
127mm = 5"
100mm = 3.9"

Frank
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:02 AM UTC
Cewl. Thanks Frank.

Kenny
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It doesn't surprise me that the German ships took such a pounding but refused to sink. Reminds me of the Bismarck's encounter with the Home Fleet.

The reasoning behind German preference in defensive power was that it was always easier to repair a ship than to replace one. In a way they were applying the outcome of the naval battles of the Russo-Japanese War where the Japanese basically paid extra to have their capital ships armored in Krupp steel, despite being built by the British. Seeing what the Japanese did with a small amount of well-armored ships really made up Tirpitz' mind and he adjusted the Fleet Acts of 1908 and 1912 accordingly. Of course having the best steel in the world made by the home team in Krupp was a nice bonus.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My Iron Duke will ship out Monday. I'll need to wait to order the NNT barrels for her. There is something beautiful about the lines of a WW1 battleship and the uncluttered deck.

On a side note, I'm to the point in "Castles of Steel" when Jutland was fought. While the losses to the British battle cruisers cataclysmic, the High Seas Fleet really took a beating. It doesn't surprise me that the German ships took such a pounding but refused to sink. Reminds me of the Bismarck's encounter with the Home Fleet.

Kenny

Let's not overlook dangerously faulty British doctrine: in an effort to "artificially" enhance their firing rates, a fleet-wide order was sent to front-load the gun mounts with shells and powder beyond the immediate needs of the guns when action appeared imminent. The result was the stockpiling of explosives in the turrets, the barbettes, the handling rooms, as well as magazines. German shells penetrating anywhere near all of this about guaranteed a catastrophe.

Had the Grand Fleet not implemented this policy as the war started, their battlecruisers (and possibly Arbuthnot's armored cruisers) might have fared better. However, this does not take anything away from the accuracy of Teutonic gunnery.

--Karl

On the ways:
1:350 Nevada & Arizona
1:125 New Orleans

Fitting out:
1:350 SMS Kaiser

Sea Trials:
1:350 SMS Kronprinz
 _GOTOTOP