_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
Other Navies, Other Views
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:14 PM UTC
MSW Senior Editor Rui Matos (skipper) has prepared a fine Feature coverage of this new event in his home town, a fantastic ship model exhibition at the Museu de Marinha in Lisboa, Portugal!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks Rui!
~Gunny
peterf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 426 posts
Model Shipwrights: 424 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 02:00 AM UTC
A wonderful presentation, Rui, and having been to the Naval Museum in Lisbon twice now, I can say that it is one of my favourites - well presented, excellent content, and lots of models to satisfy. Also it is clean, and well lit in a superb architectural building.

Worth the visit if you haven't been there before, and it's in Lisbon! - what else do you need?

Cheers,

Peter F
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 205 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 02:50 AM UTC
Rui,
An outstanding exhibit. It is really nice to see a museum value ship modelling as a skill. Plus I can see why with the quality of work displayed. Congrats on a terrific display........Bruce
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:23 AM UTC
Thanks Peter and Bruce!
Yes, the building is something very special...
Here's the main entrance to the Museu de Marinha

Thanks for the feedback and for the support!
Thanks also to Mark for releasing the Feature

Rui
MikeM
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Model Shipwrights: 182 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:50 AM UTC
A great article Rui, how nice to see all your models set for a decent period of time for visitors to see, it all looks very impressive. Looks a nice place Lisbon!

Mike
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:53 AM UTC
Wonderful display. Thank you for sharing Rui!

Kenny
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:19 PM UTC
Wow, Rui, what an amazing presentation! All of the models are beautiful and there are so many that I'm jealous of the skill, such as the ships from ancient times, the tiny landing craft, and of course, your submarines! Truly incredible!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:59 PM UTC
I enjoyed the photos,
Thanks for taking them and posting them.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:14 AM UTC
Rui - thanks for posting, just AMAZING work on the 700 scale items.... and what a gorgeous building! I wish I had known about that place when I visited Lisboa 18 years ago!
thanks again,
conells
Visit this Community
Santander, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 11 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC
Lisboa,,que bella ciudad:)
congratualion for the show, very good and thsk for the photos.Portugal ws one of the most importants Kingdowns during centuries in discovering new lands, D.Enrique el Navenagte, one of the greates discovers in history was a Infante on the Portugese Crow, and adventute and a sientific that gives new lands to Portugal and to the rst of the World, D. Juan II King of Portugal follows this line and send their ships not only to Sfrica but Asia as well, the cape of GOOD HOPE (bUENA ESPERANZA) was a name given by Him, the discover Bartolomeu Dias gives the cape the name of Cabo de las tomentas ( cape of storns) by his majesty did not agree and gives te mane knowing by all the world .This was the Portugis way to las Indias,,,,the atlantic was forgot and the Queen Elisabeth the Catholic of Castilla (Spain) gives to money to Colon,,,but thsi is another history.No doubt Europe and teh rest of the World has a lot the thanks to the Portuguese Crown and their brave comanders and sailors
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments/support/feedback, guys!

Rui

NOTE: not all the submarines displayed are mine, Dade
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 01:56 AM UTC
Nice pictures from a nice place with nice models - I like these kind of reports from interesting places - just in case one should be there sometimes

Cheers/Jan
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi Rui!

Truly outstanding work from the land of the Navigator Prince!

That Arizona diorama was a real stand-out, too...

--Karl
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 07:23 AM UTC
I'm a sucker for the subs. I really like the polar vignette. I wonder how they executed the pack ice?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi Steve

The ice on the sub and also on the icebreaker was made with the same material, although by different modelers (me and Filipe), and it's the modeling paste I used for my Wet Your Ships! Feature which is Das Pronto (white).

Hope you can find it on US
Cheers

Rui
barbacanosa
Visit this Community
Baleares, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 296 posts
Model Shipwrights: 45 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:47 PM UTC

That much exposure!

among the chosen site and works presented me as one of the most interesting exhibits I've seen

congratulations

Domi
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 02:40 AM UTC

Thanks for the report, Rui. Very impressive display of models, I especially enjoyed the ancients compilation. The museum is beautiful!

Frank
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 08:47 AM UTC
Thank you Domi and Frank!

You are too kind, though!
When we reach the skills of (in no particular order):

- Jim Baumann
- Mike McCabe
- David Griffith
- Peter Fulgoney
- Rob Kernaghan
- Frank Spahr
- Christian Bruer
- Dirk Mennigke
- our own Filipe Ramires
- etc etc (see note bellow!)

amongst many others (that would turn this list exhaustive and VERY LONG ) than, and only than, I think that we would make a smashing show!
We keep on trying and improving our skills (I hope )

Rui

NOTE: There are many other fine and excellent modelers in the web... the thing is, that I am only mentioning modelers from whom I have seen their works live, and as I have told on the SMW report, although I already knew some models from MSW and MW, they look so much better without being on a photo...
_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:10 AM UTC
Greetings everyone,

Regarding this exhibition that took place in the Navy Museum in the past 6 months I don't recall ever seeing so many ship models together in one place. We have nearly 100 pieces there of all kinds and with only a handful of modellers. This was a first experience in cooperation with the Museum. Both sides want to give continuity to this event but we have yet to "negotiate" with them future editions. In any case this is aimed to be extended to other modellers but at the same time to maintain "pristine" quality. This is after all one of the finest Navy Museums in Europe and a noticeable place of honour. I am not saying that only "some" modellers are allowed to place their models there. For me the more the better. Though, depending when the next edition will be, it would be nice to have foreign modellers placing their models here. It's a matter of time and of course availability for everyone. In any case, it would be nice and we certainly would be honoured here in Portugal to receive foreign modellers here in the Portuguese Model Shows...we have nearly ten of them per year being some of bigger dimensions then others. Regardless, lately we have managed with our recent formed SIG of Naval Interest Group to place some tables together with some models, tools, books and even demonstrations and workshops. We don't promise at all multimillionaire awards for the winners of the contests but we do this merely for ship modelling sake and to have a good chance of talking and learn a few things here and there with the chaps. Therefore, if anyone is interest in paying a visit to this lovely sunny country do give it a try and we will be here to receive you. Model Shows season starts in March!!! Come and join!!!
Best regards,

Filipe
_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:20 AM UTC
About the Polar Diorama with the Royal Navy Trafalgar submarine...
Well, amazingly that's far from what I consider one of my best models...in fact I was never happy with the results but therefore she was if I recall correctly my second submarine I've built. Curiously she still receives today, 8 years after being built, the most amazing compliments and yet I don't look at her happy. One wonder why the maker is never happy with the final work and this one in particular I was never happy with it!!! In any case...more submarine fancy dioramas are coming out of this naval yard. Stay tuned.
The material used for making the ice was indeed "Das Pronto" but if you fail to find it in the US or any place else I guess "White Milliput" will do the trick. I'm not very familiar now with the most recent "snow-ice" techniques but perhaps the Armoured 1/35 scale guys can give us a hint of what they use to make their Winter Dioramas. Perhaps then, depending if it is adaptable to our scales, we can use them with better results. At the time I've build the Polar Diorama "Das Pronto" was practically the only material I could lay my hands on to make the ice. Today, perhaps, I could have used different stuff taking into account different approaches and learnings one gets along time.
Best regards,

Filipe
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hi all

Just a quick note to say that more 34 photos have been uploaded into the Feature.
Somehow I missed uploading them and only noticed today, when I was going to show some SLC Maiale models to a friend!

Sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Rui
 _GOTOTOP