General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
My first Ship model- 1/350 Nagato with extras
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
Anthony, I'm glad to see you back on Nagato and sharing your updates with us. You took on a heck of a project on what I recall is your first ship build. She's looking great so far. I liked your idea of putting "o" rings between the brass uprights on your mounts and the hull of the ship. I'm going to try incorporating that into my next build. It looks like Nogato's deck went down well. Any real fit problems? I'm working on again/off again on Trumpy's 1/350 U.S.S. North Carolina and the deck fit was a bit*h! Ended up using epoxy to get the deck glued down to the hull, and then the deck is in three pieces that just simply can't be made to mate 100% properly and thus require filling and sanding. Also, North Carolina has a split upper/lower hull and fit was a bugger also, again, epoxy and cutting some of the braces on the upper hull section.

I've been interested in doing Nagato for some time since my area of interest is USN an IJN ships of World War 2. I'll be watching your build with interest.

Keep up the good work and I'll look forward to seeing some update pictures.

Bob
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 09:38 AM UTC
Sorry Anthony, not trying to hijack your thread.

Bummer Bob.. Did you glue the upper hull to the lower hull before you glued on the deck?
drizzt73
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 07:14 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

Hi Robert,

the deck went down perfectly and there was only one very small gap in the forward section but that may have been the builder .

So far the fit is perfect and I cannot fault the kit parts.

Sorry to hear about your deck, hopefully it all comes together for you.

I have painted the hull and deck and will post pics this arvo after I get back from my monthly club meet.

Cheers and thanks for looking
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 06:08 PM UTC
Hi all,

I have made some progress with painting the hull and deck. I used Tamiya Hull red with a teenie bit of flat red on the lower hull and the Tamiya Kure Grey with a drop of German Grey, I then randomly sprayed plain kure grey and then later kure grey/light grey mix to add some shading. The deck is Tamiya wood deck tan followed by a gloss coat and some pro-modeller wash. I removed most of the wash leaving the grooves in the deck and later followed this with a sepia wash to add some warm tones. Finally I misted some deck tan on to lighten it back up. I am reasonably happy with the results being my first go at painting a ship!

Any tips/comments appreciated

I am using the kit display stand and felt from the super detail set to sit the hull on during these stages

Now I am going to start tapping the wood deck so I can spray the main grey bits on the deck (I may hand paint some of the finer details on the deck)

Cheers

Anthony
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hi all, well after about 2 hrs of masking , the Nagato now has a new camo scheme

Next step is to spray all the grey bits on the deck.

Cheers
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 09:17 PM UTC
Hi all, I've been pushing on with the build. I sprayed all of the grey bits and after removing the tape was quite happy with the results- but forgot to take pics at that stage sorry.

I then realised that I probably should have attached the bridge deck before painting the hull and deck but oh well- first ship and all and not planning ahead. I then started on the first of the PE (a bit daunted by all of the PE as superglue and me do not get along at all . On that subject whenever I try supergluing something, no matter how careful I am the glue sticks to me, tweezers and anything else but the 2 pieces I am trying to glue together- whats with that?

Anyway here are some pics of this stage

I then attached some PE to the seaplane deck area

This morning I airbrushed the wood deck and then masked up the bridge deck and then sprayed the grey bits

Tonight I just started with some more PE removing the kit plastic 9m cutter stands (not sure what their correct name is) with a 2 piece PE one

Thanks for looking- any comments welcome

Cheers
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC
Looking good there Anthony, keep up the good work!
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 11:11 AM UTC
Thanks Russell.

A quick update, I ordered some IJN extra ladders (to replace the aztec stairs in the kit) and some portholes. Obviously I won't be replacing the ones on the hull but will be using them on the bridge etc.

I started on some White Ensign PE cable reels over the weekend and also the funnel structure and will post some pics this arvo

Cheers
mpatman
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 248 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 08:03 PM UTC
Looking good Bro, keep working on her!
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 02:18 PM UTC
I've been steadily working on the PE and thought it was time for some more pics.

I spent a few hours putting together some cable reels and winding some cotton around them to represent the cables, whilst on that subject does anyone know if all the cable reels had cables on them or just some of them? (P.S I need to fill those holes - any suggestions what to use?)

I then started work on the funnel assembly and the appropriate PE- I have to say that the PE is very nice to work with but I still have trouble with super glue hee hee

Mounted on the hull with the now painted bridge deck

I have had this week off work and over the past 2 days I have put the main guns together and am pleased with the results

No 1 turret

No 2 turret

Mounted on the hull

no 3 and 4 turrets

What she looks like to date - starting to look like a battleship now I think!

Thanks for looking
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 08:16 PM UTC
Hmmm no comments - but I guess this isn't anything most of you haven't seen before. I will continue to update this blog as I am enjoying documenting the build. Anyway I have done some more PE work on the bridge section over the past few days and will post some pics soon.

Cheers
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 01:10 AM UTC
Whoa! Must have missed this one so far (not that interested in IJN). You're doing some great work there, your PE work is fantastic!

Cheers!
Stefan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hello Anthony, Those turrets look awesome and I really like the paintwork, especially on the deck. I am always impressed with how ship modelers deal with PE parts. They make such an improvement to most builds. The thought of having to deal with so many tiny, delicate parts gives me nightmares. Great work. Al
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
Anthony, your Nagato is looking first rate. It's hard to believe it is your first ship model. Your work looks like you are a seasoned pro! I'm looking forward to your next update.

Warren, I did glue the upper and lower hulls before I glued on the deck. But, a bit of Apoxie Sculpt in the gaps, carefully sanded down and re-scribed, resulted in a pretty respectable looking deck. I wish I'd seen the new blue stained deck for the North Carolina before I got as far along as I am with her. I would definitely have gone that route. Once I finish with the two builds I'm currently working on, Italieri's P.T. 596 and Dragon's 1/350 U.S.S. Laffey I hope to get back to work on the Showboat. I'd like to have her done before the winter building season is over and yard work and that kind of thing take up most of my free time. How are you coming on Gambier Bay?

Bob
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 07:47 PM UTC
Thanks Stefan, This is my first go at a lot of PE and I am very impressed with the quality of the Hasegawa PE and how nice it is to work with.

Thanks Al, I know what you mean regarding the ship modellers on this website - they are very inspiring. I appreciaqte your kind words and support. I am learning as I go with this build. I am finding it a bit of a challenge trying to work out the build/paint order as it is very different to aircraft and armour modelling.

Thanks again Bob, I am really enjoying this build and whilst not completely happy with some of my workmanship I will definately being doing another ship after this one.

I have been chipping away at the bridge tower (not sure what the correct name is) over the past 6-7 days and will post some pics soon

Cheers
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
Beautiful work - all that brass really looks cool, allmost a pity to paint it

On another note, I use to prime and paint the etch while still on the fret, i find it easier to see and touch op after attaching it.

cheers/Jan
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful work - all that brass really looks cool, allmost a pity to paint it

On another note, I use to prime and paint the etch while still on the fret, i find it easier to see and touch op after attaching it.

cheers/Jan

Thanks Jan,

I might try that with the PE on my next build

Cheers
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi all,

As previously stated I have been working on the bridge and thought I would post some pics of some of the earlier work

The PE handrails are a nice touch- not sure if they will be seen once the model is finished?

I honestly don't know what this is- something to do with minesweeping?

Some PE parts on the lower deck area

next to the kit piece- a nice improvement I think

More PE

I used some of the resin Veteran Models bits here- searchlight controller?

and more PE

This was all done a few days ago and I have pushed on and done a fair bit more but haven't taken any photos yet- will do later today

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 01:02 PM UTC
Looking good there, Anthony
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 08:11 PM UTC
Thanks again for your support Russell.

Ok been chipping away and finally finished the bridge tonight.

This is 2 weeks work and consists of approx 171 plastic parts and 96+ PE parts- phew!

Anyway I am glad to have this major sub assembly done (minus paint) I'll take some better pics with more light when I get time.

I will be moving onto the searchlight towers next

Cheers
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC
[Quoted text] I honestly don't know what this is- something to do with minesweeping?

Hello Anthony, That is a called a paravane, and it is streamed out on a cable and is indeed used for mine sweeping. Al
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 12:35 PM UTC
Am really enjoying your build my Friend.....Cheers Mark
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:27 PM UTC
Thanks for your support Mark

As promised some better pics of the bridge assembly

The painted Funnel assembly

The recently started rear bridge assembly

Giving myself a break from PE I decided to work on all the fiddly bits that go on the deck. As I only had 10 of the Fukuya brass bits I used them in places that stood out as I think they are very nice.

Thanks again
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 - 05:04 PM UTC
Quick update

I painted all of the bits and pieces on the deck by hand and am glad to have that done.

I also spent a few hours doing my davits? for the lifeboats etc

Here is where I stand at the moment

A quick comparison between the kit prop and my aftermarket brass ones- at least I wont have to paint them

Cheers
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 08:39 PM UTC
Hi all, time for my weekly update, Haven't done much lately which isn't good as I only have approx 7 weeks to have this done for my show.

I glued the props on tonight- I think they look nice

I also spent the past week or so working on the searlight towers

I think my next step will be to paint the sub assemblies and possibly start fixing them to the deck. Then I can work on the stairs and other bits and pieces that attach to these parts. Then I still have the smaller boats, Search planes, some more bits for the deck, the anchor chain and then the 2 biggies- the deck rails and then the rigging- not looking forward to that! So yeah I still have heaps to do!

Anthony