General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
My first Ship model- 1/350 Nagato with extras
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 01:25 AM UTC
Anthony, your Nagato is coming along nicely. Your PE work is excellent, very clean and neat. I'm a long way past my first ship and my PE looks nowhere near as good as yours. Keep up the great work and I'll be looking forward to more updates. You' re really making want to take on this kit!

Bob
drizzt73
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 05:34 PM UTC
Thanks Robert for your support.

I have a huge problem that needs an urgent solution. I just went to have a look at the kit anchor chain only to find out that I don't have any????

The kit instructions show it as part UB and I assume it is actual chain and not a plastic part? Does anyone know if that is the case and if so is there a Hasegawa customer service area? or what style and thickness chain to use?

Any help appreciated!!!

Anthony
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 12:49 PM UTC
Is it attached to the box? Or in one of the plastic bags you may have disposed of? I never through anything out during a build just in case...

Good luck!
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 04:08 AM UTC
Anthony, as far as the chain is concerned, if you can't located it in the box, you can probably get some replacement at a hobby shop that carries model railroad stuff. That is one of the places I get my anchor chain for my 1/350 ships. Also, cheap jewelery chains make good anchor cable.

Bob
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 11:14 AM UTC
Warren- I have kept all of the plastic bags and it isn't in there- I may have lost it but honestly don't remember ever seeing it.

Robert- Thanks, I managed to find an Australian Distributor for Hasegawa and they are going to try and order me the part from Japan. In the meantime I will try my local hobby store- I don't have model rail store nearby but will hunt around as I only have about 5 weeks to have her done

Cheers and thanks everyone for their help/support.

Anthony
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 11:21 AM UTC
Just a quick update.

I recently painted the bridge sub-assemblies and they are now glued down onto the deck. I have also attached some PE stairs to these parts and the deck.

Also my latest creation- 1/350 17m Torpedo boat- again I'm very impressed with the Hasegawa PE detail and what it adds. I also drilled out the funnel.

In place on the deck

Finally an overall shot of where she is at

Thanks all

Anthony
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 02:08 AM UTC
Anthony, she's looking great, up to your usual high standards. Your build is coming along nicely. I can't tell you how impressed I am with you PE work. You either have a genuine gift for working with that Devilish stuff, or the patience of Job! Keep up the great work and I'll look forward to your next update.

Bob
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anthony, she's looking great, up to your usual high standards. Your build is coming along nicely. I can't tell you how impressed I am with you PE work. You either have a genuine gift for working with that Devilish stuff, or the patience of Job! Keep up the great work and I'll look forward to your next update.

Bob

Thanks Bob you are being very generous- whilst I have learn;t a bit about working with PE on this build I am yet to master it and am not 100% happy with all of the PE work.

Thanks again for your kind words

Anthony
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi all, time for a bit of an update

I've been pushing on with the sub assemblies and some fiddly stuff-

The secondary armament- broke 3 mini drills in my pin vice drilling the ends of the bagging out for the 14cm barrels!

The Veteran Models Resin and Brass 12cm AA guns

I also put together the PE catapult- very challenging to get together

I also managed to finisgh the last of the major sub assemblies- some sort of AA radar towers?

Ready for priming this morning

I have just airbrushed the Kure Grey on all of this and once dry I will mount it and take some more pics

Cheers and thanks for looking

Anthony
HalseysBeard
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 137 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hi Anthony! I wouldn't worry too much about the "missing" anchor chain in the Hasegawa kit...there was no chain in my Nagato kit either, even tho the parts inventory lists it. Any of the national retail hobby "chains" (like Micheal's) should have appropriately sized chain for 1/350...or most sewing project places. Its relatively easy to find ...and cheap too!

Here's my Nagato's foredeck (finished the deck a week or so ago) with the hobby shop chain. cost $.99 and looks ok

And good luck with the rest of your build! My Nagato will be finished in a coupIe of weeks as well...I am working alongside you at times it seems! -Tim
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 10:24 PM UTC
As a display model this wonderful looking battleship is best displayed on its own and in full hull, there's a lot of detail you don't get with the 1-700 model, straight away I see you're going to do a great job of this, the Aztec steps cut them off and replace with etch, please check other builds of the same 1-350 model as a guide, and while you are not new to model building, I'd suggest you treat this the same as an aircraft/tank and so on, its just a different shape, to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to read all the above comments, but are you going to wooden deck this ? While it won't be cheap, you'll be surprised how good it can make this ship look, don't over do the weathering either, but in the same breath don't finish it completely clean, its a warship that's been at sea after all. Remember etch steps you'll be replacing the silly plastic one's with need to be open (treads) have a look round also for an etch set for the smaller boats, if I had the space, I'd love nothing more then to build this model. Lastly, take your time.
Damn I've just gone through your pics, is it to late to replace that lump of plastic underneath the main stack, honestly this should be etch, if you can have a look around and you're see its much, much better.

nat by warship, on Flickr
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 07:59 PM UTC
Thanks for your support Tim- your Nagato is a true masterpiece and I look forward to seeing it finished.

As for the anchor chain I found it the other day in the sealed bag between the two decal sheets!

drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As a display model this wonderful looking battleship is best displayed on its own and in full hull, there's a lot of detail you don't get with the 1-700 model, straight away I see you're going to do a great job of this, the Aztec steps cut them off and replace with etch, please check other builds of the same 1-350 model as a guide, and while you are not new to model building, I'd suggest you treat this the same as an aircraft/tank and so on, its just a different shape, to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to read all the above comments, but are you going to wooden deck this ? While it won't be cheap, you'll be surprised how good it can make this ship look, don't over do the weathering either, but in the same breath don't finish it completely clean, its a warship that's been at sea after all. Remember etch steps you'll be replacing the silly plastic one's with need to be open (treads) have a look round also for an etch set for the smaller boats, if I had the space, I'd love nothing more then to build this model. Lastly, take your time.
Damn I've just gone through your pics, is it to late to replace that lump of plastic underneath the main stack, honestly this should be etch, if you can have a look around and you're see its much, much better.

nat by warship, on Flickr

Thanks Alec

To answer your question- I didn't use a wooden deck as this is my first ship model and I was concerned about using one. I have used a multitude of PE and Brass parts on the kit (also a first) and have enjoyed it as a most part.

As for that bit under the stack I used the kit part as it is mostly covered and I have seen others actually argue that the plastic part is better than the PE replacement anyway.

Cheers and thanks for your support.

drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 08:16 PM UTC
Well after a 4 day easter weekend I managed to get a bit more done, I also forgot to take some pics of the finished an mounted lifeboats/torpedo boats etc- complete with PE parts and decals.

I used Jan's tip and pre-painted the etch rails on their sprue but have already found that the paint tends to flake off so I will need to touch it up after installing it.

I started on the deck handrails last night and thought I would show the ingenious (in my view anyway) feet on the PE rails- makes my life easier!

Added to the deck

P.S Here is a pic of the "missing" anchor chain.

Nearly there! and I have 3 1/2 weeks till my show

Cheers and thanks again

Anthony
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi all,

I am a happy chappy, I have been dreading doing the rails since I started this build but I managed to get them all done in under 2 hours work- yay!

Now I have to start on the recon planes.

Pics to come

cheers

Anthony
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hi all, well after working on the Nagato non stop for 5 months I wasn't quite there in time for my club's annual show so I pulled the pin 2 weeks before as I didn't want to rush to finish it. I then needed a break so haven't touched it for about 4 weeks but got stuck back in over the past few days.

I have built and painted the 3 search planes

and the 2x dollies?

Today I built the other crane

and the 2x lifeboat "thingies"

I also scratched some flag pole s for the fore and aft to replace the plastic kit parts as I worried they will snap when I start the rigging

Finally some updated overall pics

Still have a few more bits and pieces and then I am going to start the dreaded rigging

cheers

Anthony
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 12:54 PM UTC
Soooo, do you do commissions?

Just out of curiosity, how do you keep dust off of this delicate beauty Anthony?
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Soooo, do you do commissions?

Just out of curiosity, how do you keep dust off of this delicate beauty Anthony?

Hi

Thanks for looking, as for commissions there are far superior craftsmen on these forums than me - this is my first ship model.

Regarding keeping the dust off - at the moment it is put away in my display cabinet ( in my un-attached hobby room- I am planning on sourcing a display case for her in the near future as she will be displayed in the house (my one and only display model)

Cheers

Anthony
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 07:25 PM UTC
Hi all I am very happy to say that besides getting a display case made, she is finished

I will take some pics over the weekend (probably tomorrow)

Cheers and thank you to everyone that has commented and supported me.

Anthony
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 03:12 PM UTC
Pics as promised, appologies for the quality- it is hard to take a full shot as it is so big and my lighting isn't great either.

Next I'll post my attempts to get some shots of the rigging

Cheers
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
Very impressive build. Al
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
Rigging shots- I used Caenis thread which is very fine!- I had a lot of trouble even seeing it whilst tring to attach it etc, it is also very hard to get the camera to focus on!!

Once again thanks to everyone who has supported me. I am quite pleased with the finished product (being my first ship model) and am planning on entering it in my club annual show next May. For now I will get a display case made and it will sit on the buffet in my loungeroom- my one and only model on display in the house.

Cheers

Anthony
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 12:39 AM UTC
Super work Anthony.

Cheers

Al
drizzt73
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Super work Anthony.

Cheers

Al

Thanks Alan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 05:54 PM UTC
This was certainly a long haul, but well worth it by the looks of it! Have you given any thought to putting together a build feature for ModelShipwrights yet?